A11 speed trap....

(RIP) Miff

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
If anyone is travelling down the A11 from Norwich, the police often set up speed traps (sneaky buggers) near the bridge going OVER the A11 at a downhill section, as you go past Wymondham (pronounced Windham). It's a dual carriageway with a 70mph limit.

I've been stopped there before, but he couldn't get a fix on my speed :D

Mrs Miff collected 3 points for going past the trap last year at 98mph :blast
Sneaky coppers were well hidden as even I didn't see them, until they were catching us in their unmarked silver car.

Not that any of you would ever consider stretching the speed limit :augie

A11speedtrap.jpg

That bridge is about 250 meters from the main traffic base so lazy pickings for the Traffic plod

In addition to the silver ST there is a Black one and a dark coloured unmarked Yamaha FJR that is also based there and hunts that stretch with full vascar and video kit and a rider wearing private owned kit with no Hi Vis at all although he does wear the job issue white Shoei flip lid

For further info of those travelling up North along the A11 towards Norfolk those nice men from Suffolk camera team hide a van in the 50 mph stretch just after it drops down from National limit on the dual carrigeway approach to Barton Mills roundabout about 10 miles south of Thetford..... you wont see it till its too late unless you know where to look as its parked amongst loads of road signage ;)

And to finish off Norfolk tend to put a camera van on the bridge on the A11 just before Attleborough if you are heading South as its an open stretch where you come round a gentle left hander and about 4-5 miles south of Miffs traffic acr sliproad hide up at the start of the thread ;)

If you're heading NORTH up the A11 (from the M25 direction) when you get near to NEWMARKET, you join the A14 for a short while. It's a 3 lane dual carriageway.

Just after you join it, and open up the taps a little, there is a static gatso camera on the left. It is BRIGHT YELLOW so you shouldn't really miss it.

But beware that it's there, and also that lots of cars brake suddenly for it, even if they are already under the (70mph) limit.

If you're heading NORTH up the A11 (from the M25 direction) when you get near to NEWMARKET, you join the A14 for a short while. It's a 3 lane dual carriageway.

Just after you join it, and open up the taps a little, there is a static gatso camera on the left. It is BRIGHT YELLOW so you shouldn't really miss it.

But beware that it's there, and also that lots of cars brake suddenly for it, even if they are already under the (70mph) limit.

You're not catching me out here.

You're only doing this to boost your thanks count.

It is very useful though so an unofficial thank you from me.

Back
Top Bottom