BMW Navigator III

john_aero

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
mate mine has a bmw navigator III and has asked me sort it out for him.

maps never updated and he doesn tknow if registered or not

before i got installing all the CD's to get it onto th computer can anyone tell me if i can get updated maps for it?

also what streetpilot model is the nav III

John I have navigator II and the unlock codes wouldn;t work

go to http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

Choose UK that will highlight all the UK maps and nearly all Ireland then if you look up you will see

Choose a predefined country and/or enable manual tile selection
with a tickbox after it

Tick the box and select the unlit Ireland tile

Insert your e mail and they will e mail you the link to the file you need

Down load it and pop it on the card for the Nav III

Dead Simple and you get reasonably up to date maps :thumb

I believe that the Nav III is the StreetPilot 2820 in a posh frock? If that's the case you need to plug it in via USB and have a look at the internal memory. ISTR that you need to put it into USB mode via the menus. I can only assume that the Nav III firmware (which is different) allows this.

Once in there you should see a folder called Garmin, inside this there will be a few files. There should be one big one called GMAPPROM.IMG copy that to your hard drive and then delete the one on the GPS. If there's also one called GMAPSUPP.IMG you'll need to do the same with that. Once done drop the GMAPSUPP.IMG file obtained from OpenSteetMap into the same folder and Robert should be your mother's brother.

Do not delete, move or tinker with any other files.

You can rename the GMAPSUPP.IMG file to GMAPPROM.IMG if you like, makes it harder to accidentally overwrite if plugging into Mapsource.

The information above is given in good faith but I take no responsibility if you 'brick' the thing.

Good luck and let us know haw you get on.

fecking computer is wrecked wont even let me download the garmin installer

When I tried to upload to the latest Maps for mine it lost all functionality of the left hand buttons on the cradle mount... still havn't figured how to get it working properly after nearly 2 years :(

I recon it needs new firmware but not sure. Keep us posted how you get on:thumb2

When I tried to upload to the latest Maps for mine it lost all functionality of the left hand buttons on the cradle mount... still havn't figured how to get it working properly after nearly 2 years :(

I recon it needs new firmware but not sure. Keep us posted how you get on:thumb2

its for mate mine so dont want wreck his gps either.

so will play around with it at weekend. have the V9 EU maps which is few year old but cant even find way re load them on to it

It needs the BMW specific firmware I believe. Have a look at the bottom of this page for the link to the 'Unit Software'.

It needs the BMW specific firmware I believe. Have a look at the bottom of this page for the link to the 'Unit Software'.

Mine is actually the Navigator 11:blast Tried uploading the firmware then realised my error. I cant find any reference to the BMW Navigator 11 on Gramins website but there again I cant find any reference to the Navigator 111.

I may just need to send the whole lot to Garmin. I dont want to send it via BMW as it will cost a fortune.

never got chance try it, was banned fromt he house ot the shed as herself hosting ann sumemrs party.

hope get look at it this week. but looks like it ont be possibel as having issues connecting it to the laptop as wont recognise the unit

I believe that the Nav III is the StreetPilot 2820 in a posh frock? If that's the case you need to plug it in via USB and have a look at the internal memory. ISTR that you need to put it into USB mode via the menus. I can only assume that the Nav III firmware (which is different) allows this.

Once in there you should see a folder called Garmin, inside this there will be a few files. There should be one big one called GMAPPROM.IMG copy that to your hard drive and then delete the one on the GPS. If there's also one called GMAPSUPP.IMG you'll need to do the same with that. Once done drop the GMAPSUPP.IMG file obtained from OpenSteetMap into the same folder and Robert should be your mother's brother.

Do not delete, move or tinker with any other files.

You can rename the GMAPSUPP.IMG file to GMAPPROM.IMG if you like, makes it harder to accidentally overwrite if plugging into Mapsource.

The information above is given in good faith but I take no responsibility if you 'brick' the thing.

Good luck and let us know haw you get on.

BMW nav III is based on a 2820. One of the problems with it is that it doesn't appear as a mass storage device on the pc, and it doesn't have any extra storage. To delete/add maps you have to use map install or map source (or maybe base camp) or update via lifetime updates. To clear space in memory download a very small map segment.

Mine is actually the Navigator 11:blast Tried uploading the firmware then realised my error. I cant find any reference to the BMW Navigator 11 on Gramins website but there again I cant find any reference to the Navigator 111.

I may just need to send the whole lot to Garmin. I dont want to send it via BMW as it will cost a fortune.

Why not bin it buy a 660

Back
Top Bottom