Revs Racing - Wilbers WESA

original_concept

Reaction score
Soooooo.

My ESA shocks have been bugging me for the past few K miles, they've done ~26K so far and are soft, which is nice at times but not at others. I can still hustle the thing around, but they're tired and getting tiring.

After hearing the 'great' news that the BMW shocks are not rebuildable, well, without having someone drill 'em and waiting x number of weeks for 'em, which is another major issue, my GS is my daily beater (in watch terms) and I can't have it unavailable.

BMWs rear shocks are... well... BMW priced.

Ohlins is.... well... Ohlins priced! The Ohlins Mecatronic has other problems, the extra box (uhm, my AutoCom is under the seat), the extra chamber(s) etc. Also the shiny gold stuff means its now a bigger target for the tea leaves. Also, because of the mileages I do, the Ohlins are too expensive to maintain.

Which means, Wilbers is left. Which is lucky as:

both shocks are done for the price of a single BMW rear.
5 year warranty.
Rebuildable.
Servicing cost is the price of a re-gas/re-furb.
Can be fitted the same day.

Sorted.

Called up Revs, gave them the weights, arranged a date. Talked some suspension, then went and killed a few hours around Halesowen.

Got back to Revs and rode back North, honestly I wasn't that impressed with the ride (bear with me). It felt too hard, low and was lacking the plushness I was expecting.

Note: I like riding in the wet, its the near enough the same as the dry IME.

I've since done 400 miles or so and they're starting to settle a bit. Running through some well surfaced twisty bits in Cumbria in the wet and freezing temps, was a joy. Much to the annoyance of the cars... ah well.

Today has been a prime example, heavy rain, a few degrees and lots of traffic to 'play with', along with plenty of tight, positive/negative cambered corners, some sweepers, tight roundabouts on a 'test' route. I know how the corners feel on varying bikes and how the GS was taking them before on the tired BMW shocks. So, one run with no weight (1UP - NORM), then on the way back with quite a bit of weight on the rear seat so set the ESA to 1UP+LUGGAGE - NORM).

Suspension? - What suspension? - Didn't notice it, what I did notice was improved braking, no funky movements/wibbles from the rear/front; far more confidence on the front, less spinning on the rear. The softness on the front when leant over has gone. The tyres (Dunlop SM II) aren't moving around as much and they've done 6K, the rear is getting down for replacement in another 1-2K.

I'm now far happier with the shocks, have complete confidence in them and looking forward to taking the bike somewhere where I can do them justice. A new rear tyre will improve the comfort factor, but I can't ask more of the shocks (well, I can but y'know).

All in all, a great change and well worth it.

Thanks to Revs for offering and providing a great service and I'll be back for the servicing next year.

I'm a happy camper now, highly recommended.

http://www.revsracing.co.uk

Speak to John.

:thumb2

Good write up of the first few hundred miles - your experience mirrors mine exactly. They felt too firm to start with but not now and I have completely forgotten to think about how the suspension is coping which I would think is all you can really ask for.

MCT have just done mine in conjunction with REVS as they take it out and send the unit to REVS to mate up then refit it, as they are up the road about 30 minutes, it makes sense to visit them.

I dropped the bike in Thursday last week, bike was ready Wednesday. I picked it up today. (I have only had the back done, will be now doing the front in a month or 2).

Yes it is stiffer, but setting it as Darren at MCT suggested it was nice (rider/pillion) much more than the previous shock. Even sitting on the bike just feels a bit different, perhaps the slight change in height, but it just seems to feel better.

The back feels really "stable" and planted, the original showa on the front now feels soft and "lacking"...

Thanks to Wapping for the suggestion for using MCT, if you dont fancy a ride to Birmingham way, they are a 8 minute walk from Stowmarket train station.

original_concept
If you have the security system fitted or the RDS system Ohlins are not compatible for the bike. another reason Wilbers might be the choice.

Ok, we've done a shade over 3K on the WESAs and they've have settled down now and I can ride nicely in COMF mode most of the time and it does feel comfy.

Still a relative bargain compared to BMW's replacement ESA cost.

Just the usual crap roads ruin the darn bike.

I’ve had the wilbers on my tc 1200 for a few years still not as plush as I thought they would be but I think the roads are just getting worse

Back
Top Bottom