Charley Boorman’s ‘South African Adventures’

UKGSer

Administrator
Reaction score
bmwsmall.jpg
BMW Motorrad
United Kingdom

Media Information 07 January 2013

Motorcycle travel hits primetime TV with BMW GS rider Charley Boorman’s ‘South African Adventures’.

New four-part series featuring the BMW R 1200 GS Adventure, begins on Wednesday 09 January on Channel Five at 8pm.

Filmmaker and author Charley Boorman has once again teamed up with his producer/director friend Russ Malkin to complete an amazing journey, ‘South African Adventures’, using a BMW R 1200 GS Adventure to travel between the many locations and experiences he filmed for the show..

Charley, who is no stranger to motorcycling adventures, travelled over 6,200 miles on the GS to complete a full circuit of South Africa, taking in the southern coast of Africa as well as the borders of Mozambique, Botswana and Namibia. However, this was more than just a motorcycle tour; along the epic ride Boorman faced some of his most fearsome and difficult challenges to date.

From detonating dynamite deep underground in a gold mine, swimming with deadly great white sharks and coming face-to-face with wild elephants and rhinoceros, Charley’s latest African adventure was no easy ride.

Viewers will get to watch Charley learning how the natives live off the land in the vast and utterly inhospitable Kalahari desert, one of the harshest environments on the planet. From blistering heat to freezing cold, Charley also took on the majestic Sani Pass, where he had to battle through almost impassable, frozen roads to reach the icy peak.

Charley Boorman said: "I've had the most amazing time travelling through South Africa over the six weeks I spent there. I fell in love with the continent the very first time I came here during my second riding adventure, ‘The Long Way Down’. On some of my big rides, we're travelling so far that you just don't have the time to stop and enjoy the country. So I decided to concentrate on South Africa, and explore a little more of what's on offer here.

“The big GS is the perfect motorcycle to discover this wonderful, vast country on, and I feel so lucky to have been able to really explore it once again on two wheels. There's also no better way to end a trip than with the massive convoy of bikes we rode into Cape Town with!"

The four part series 'Charley Boorman’s ‘South African Adventures’ begins on Channel Five on Wednesday 09 January.

<iframe width="800" height="450" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9FbetNCzn6I?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

i-fc8mG4b-L.jpg

Charley Boorman onboard a BMW R 1200 GS Adventure

i-n7HVwBF-L.jpg

Boorman on Table Mountain

For more information on BMW Motorrad products, or to find your local BMW Motorrad dealership, visit www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk or call 0800 777 155.

..and more strong hints of another Ewan & Charley adventure ride in a Sunday mag. I read at the weekend..

would make marketing sense, new model, (new sales) new trip (paid for by the TV channel)... cheapest 4 hours of advertising and product placement BMW can get....:hide

would make marketing sense, new model, (new sales) new trip (paid for by the TV channel)... cheapest 4 hours of advertising and product placement BMW can get....:hide

The Head of Marketing at KTM must still be trying to live this down ....

:blast

Any climbers or line rescue bods care to comment on the rigging/harness etc :nenau:eek

Boreman

Dunno what it is about Charley, but he manages to turn what could be a very interesting, entertaining program into a BORE fest.
I watched, hoping for a proper bike adventure but found myself fast forwarding most of the program.
Hi script is rubbish, and seems to consist mainly of "WOW" repeated ad nauseum.
No doubt I will watch the rest of the series but on "catch up" so I can use the FF button!
Seriously not impressed.:nenau

Anything and anyone who promotes biking gets a thumbs up from me :thumb2

Remember - he is a "media figure" now with a wider audience.

..and more strong hints of another Ewan & Charley adventure ride in a Sunday mag. I read at the weekend..

I hope so...just ( finally ) watched this heap of rubbish...may as well have been in his car with the wife and kids:rob. More back-up than the troops in Afghanistan :D
Definately not a program to watch if you are into biking programs but probably mid table family man viewing.
Bring back Ewan and just the two of them and a third ( cameraman ) should re-light the fires for me :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom