Tyre choice for the TAT?

Losttheplot

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Sorry if i'm treading on Chris's toes (Sgt Bilco) by posting in this section,

but as there seems to be a wealth of experience growing on the TAT, i was wondering which tyres you would recommend for the first half of the trail?

Whats the going like through the first few states?

Would a typical dual sport tyre like an Mt21 or metzeler sahara be fine? or would something more aggressive like a michelin desert or AC10 be better suited?

While i want to enjoy the off road sections, i would also like to ride deals gap- and road legal MX tyres may not be the best choice for this :D

Sorry if i'm treading on Chris's toes (Sgt Bilco) by posting in this section,

but as there seems to be a wealth of experience growing on the TAT, i was wondering which tyres you would recommend for the first half of the trail?

Whats the going like through the first few states?

Would a typical dual sport tyre like an Mt21 or metzeler sahara be fine? or would something more aggressive like a michelin desert or AC10 be better suited?

While i want to enjoy the off road sections, i would also like to ride deals gap- and road legal MX tyres may not be the best choice for this :D

Well after a short amount of head scratching, i've settled on michelin AC10 for the front and a desert for the rear (if DHL actually get around to delivering it :blast ).

A quick look around shows tyres are a bit cheaper in the US, so no point stressing about it before the trip :thumb2

I'm using MT21 front, Dunlop D908RR rear. I have a 908 front but decided against it.

Others may suggest a pair of deserts which are good too.

You need a tyre which will last the distance ideally, Chris and I started with Karoos last year which was a mistake, my rear was completely bald after 1200 miles and finding a suitable replacement is not always easy given time restraints etc.

If its dry, you can ride Deals gap as fast as anyone on MX tyres

Deserts for me front and rear. If you have any other tyre choice you may die!:thumb

Final decision for my front isn't final as I may go for a Desert there.:blast

As long as the AC10's are as good on the 690 as they were on the x challenge they will be fine, never used anything else on the x challenge, did a 3000 mile trip to portugal half road/half off road, front was done in by the end but not too bad.:thumb

Michelin Deserts with Mousses. Recently used in Morocco for over 2000 miles and they completely failed to burst into flames or kill me.

I took the rear off yesterday and the mousse is in perfect condition.

Don't believe the videos you see on youtube about how to fit mousses, they make it look easy. Be prepared for blood sweat and tears when fitting new or pay someone to do it. The benefit is not having to fix punctures on the trail and not having to carry puncture repair kit when packing light.

Shock sorted today:)

Attachments

• shock.jpg
    shock.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 172
I have a pair of latest Deserts and ultra heavy tubes for sale . I bought these earlier in the year when I had planned to do your trip but health issues have stopped me joining. Can`t see me using them for a long time.Call me/text on 07831341217 . Cheers Dennis

Back
Top Bottom