cylinder head

I have a mate with an Explorer who had an e-mail directly from Triumph asking for his bike back in for these 'upgrades'

He's been given a date of the 10th January and the bike has to go back to the factory for 10 days. During this time Triumph will be loaning him a courtesy bike :clap

I hear that they are also re-calling the new Trophy 1200 for similar modifications :eek:

Just wait and see how much more he gets replaced than he ever expected; Even pillion grab handles are getting replaced where they have only ever been scuffed by the rider's boots!

Interesting that some are saying this bike will not sell, I guess you haven't read the Ride Mag as this was voted the best bike overall by the owners, but hey what do they know

Its amazing , my mate had his trumpet explorer in for all the recall work. No courtesy bike provided BTW. The work over ran by more than a week. It came back and looked good, lots of stuff replaced. Shame it wasn't working properly, he complained to the dealer several times about rough running they say they couldn't fault it. He wasn't impressed so he got rid and got a Honda crosstourer (complete with the luggage problem, which Honda knows about but wont deal with properly).
A couple of months later trumpet write to him and ask for the bike back to replace the ECU. Even they don't know where the bikes are. pathetic.
Perhaps BMW customer care isn't too bad after all.

Do you have examples of that?

Apologies for not replying sooner but I have only just spotted your post :blast

A dealer local to me had two Explorers that he had taken in. Neither bike had had the headwork done. One was taken in during July and the other in August. These were not p/ex bikes they were bought in through the trade:

This dealer sells on average 10 bikes per week all year round. All his bikes are super clean and the Explorers were keenly priced. One even had full luggage. He managed to sell the last one two weeks ago. In the same period of time he has had the Explorers sat in his showroom he has sold four used Rocket III's

He will now no longer take in Explorers for sale unless they have had this work done

Just wait and see how much more he gets replaced than he ever expected; Even pillion grab handles are getting replaced where they have only ever been scuffed by the rider's boots!

Yes, now this is interesting as he was expecting various other items to be replaced as well but they were not. The dealer didn't have a courtesy bike either so they ended up collecting it in their van which wasn't really an issue as the weather was shite so the courtesy bike would probably not have been used much.

Two weeks later he got his bike back and visually he noticed they'd replaced the centre stand and final drive assembly. Everything else appeared as normal until he rode it.

First road test he found that the throttle response was much smoother and the engine less harsh but that there was a rattle from low down. On inspection he found that his crash bars were lose :eek:

He called the dealer and they asked him to bring the bike back for a full check over that day which he did. Generally, he is very happy with his Explorer but he does seem to spend a fair bit of time at NOG looking at GS's :clap

Its a problem with the Cam buckets
I bought one 3 weeks ago took it to my local Triumph dealer to have the service light turned off and was told it would need to go to Hinkly for a new head and while it was there it would get a new shaft drive, and Cntr stand !! the work would take 5 weeks so I was told

The bike was traded in for a Crosstourer yesterday screw loosing it for the rest of the summer !!!
Im no Beta Tester had my share of that when the 1200GS came out !!

I must add though what a crackeing bike did everything very well

I can just about understand the panic reaction, but a Crosstourer?

Looking back, Triumph have sorted the longterm fix for the Explorer, but what can Honda do about the fact that it's a Crosstourer, even with the benefit of an extended 5 year warranty?! :rolleyes: :D

Rightly or wrongly I bailed and traded it for a Crosstourer...the Honda has a 3 Yr warrantee with the option to extend it to 4 or 5 now that must say something about the confidence they have in there product....

As with any manufacturer, it has little to do with the confidence in the product and everything to do with how much of the sales price the manufacturer wishes to allocate to warranty claims, how much of the financial responsibility for failures that a manufacturer can pass on to their own suppliers and how little the manufacturer can get away with paying their dealers for repair work. To give you an example, Kia has the longest warranty, at 7 years, but could it seriously be argued that they have the highest quality product on the market?

Of course, manufacturers and their sales people are naturally going to argue that it's all about confidence in their product.....

The Kia 7 year warranty is restricted to 100,000 miles and there are also further restrictions on the warranty see below:

What’s covered by the basic warranty? Kia covers the components of a new Kia car for unlimited mileage up to 36 months, and for 100,000 miles between 37 and 84 months, from the date of first registration.
Exceptions to this are:
• The battery – this is covered for 24 months • The air conditioning refrigerant charge - this is also covered for 24 months
• Wheel balance and steering alignment - are covered for the first 1000 miles or one month • Cracks in the exterior glass - are covered for the first 1000 miles or three months
Using a Kia car as a taxi or for private hire If a customer uses a Kia car as a taxi or for private hire, the warranty period is 84 months or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. It will need to have been registered as a taxi in line with our procedures, or it will only be covered for 60,000 miles.

Although I couldn't find confirmation of it on the Kia web-site, in my experience long warranties like this tend to have an 'extended warranty' element and it's this element that ties you in to main dealer servicing. Due to european Block Exemption rules the manufacturer can't tie you in to main dealer servicing for the first 3 years but they could for the next 4

As an aside. You have to look at the type of customer that will be attracted by a 7 year warranty? Kia are doing their best to steal away all of Honda's customers. The kind of customer that is likely to do about 20,000 miles in 7 years and have it serviced by their Kia dealer every year!

As with any manufacturer, it has little to do with the confidence in the product and everything to do with how much of the sales price the manufacturer wishes to allocate to warranty claims, how much of the financial responsibility for failures that a manufacturer can pass on to their own suppliers and how little the manufacturer can get away with paying their dealers for repair work.

Land Rover lose money on every Defender they build but they still make them. The confidence aspect in Defender ownership is that you can be confident that it will give you problems .............. so why do people still buy them?

Well after reading the replies Ill tell you the Crosstourer was a great bike but had no real soul so had a deal with Gadget for his triple black 1200 GS which I liked but compared to the CT really was a slug even with all the bits and the Hilltop remap, spoke to BMW to extend the warranty which they would not as the bike had not had its 2nd annual rip off OOPS I mean service, so that was traded for a 12 plate 1200 Rallye which was farkled to the Max it had only done 3K when the extended warranty letter came through which I accepted then tried to book the bike in for the 2nd annual and was told there was a 3 week wait the bikes birthday was in 10 days and albeit its kept in a heated de-humidified carpeted garage and had never seen rain had rust issues on all disk bolts final drive and frame where the footrest was told they would not entertain any claim after the bike was 2 years old unless it had been booked in (you can see where we are going here) so I got the arse with that and went and bought another Brand new Tiger explorer with every Triumph extra in the book and the bike is bloody fantastic, the dealer ive used now and before are great and nothing is too much trouble, did Luxemburg, France back in May 2 up with all the luggage and it was simply superb, ]Main reason I bailed on the last one is I thought wait till the news gets out about the head work needing doing and the price will fall like a stone but the way Triumph dealt with the problem with the replacement of Cntr stands exhausts, worn heated grips etc etc was genius, they admitted it and got it sorted unlike some who deny theres anything wrong!! well done Triumph great bike great service

Free luggage ?

Are Triumph still doing the free luggage offer on the Explorer ? They look like bloody good value compared with other adv bikes out there.

Are Triumph still doing the free luggage offer on the Explorer ? They look like bloody good value compared with other adv bikes out there.

Free Panniers, heated grips & heated riders seat deal worth £940 ended end of June even though the offer is still displayed on the showroom bike.:nenau

Testing one this week but won't consider buying until offer comes back as I'm sure it will.

You can pick up a new KTM 1190 Adventure for £13k with £1500's worth of KTM accessories or a low mileage (ex RT recall bike) TE Spec GS with full luggage for £12500

What do you call good value? :nenau

If I was spending my money again Id have a good look at the KTM 1190R albeit they have there issues one which is boiling your man business through the heat from the seat, I don't think that's a bad thing given the weather in the uk lol
I love the triumph was out on it Saturday and seriously thought it cant really get much better than this, but the KTM with the added bits they are chucking in does look attractive and the colour of the R does it for me
Rob

iand46, just tell the dealer you wont buy it without the freebies I was told by my dealer that triumph will do it, If not Ill give you my dealers details they will im sure

Back
Top Bottom