West Kerry Spring Adventure

My flight is booked, and I arrive in Dublin on June 4th with my bike on the same plane.
Looking forward to starting my European leg of my RTW trip in Ireland with a good ride.
See You Soon.
Josh
www.ridingtheglobe.com

Kerry 9/10th

Going the Holyhead- D.L. route staying Clonmel Thursday evening. Will catch up (with pillion) Friday, somewhere.Bin Ridin is my contact.Booked in Dingle as hostel full. MInes the red one with matching hugger/fender. Can't wait to be back.

Accomadation?

Hoping to book the Fishguard ferry this week. However Im a bit concerned, can anyone suggest and other accom. close by, if the B&B is full? I hope to cross Thursday mid morning, returning Sunday night/Monday.

Any suggestions guys, just me on my ownsome travelling!

Found space!

Well, should have made the call first! Got accom. in the Mount Brandon (dorm. no single rooms left).

Just tried to book the seacat on Thursday morning -full! Will try again tomorrow as they took the last bike booking for that crossing whilst I was making my enquiry!

despite that, a good deal at the moment- £41.00 return!

See u all on Thursday night.

Anyone else crossing this route? Let me know, we could meet up somewhere.

West Kerry

There now seem to be quite a few of us off to the Dingle Peninsula.

How many are travelling over on the 9.00 sailing from Holyhead on the 9th (Thursday)

No doubt we'll hook up on the ferry but it would be nice to have a few names beforehand.

Sherpa ;)

Ferry to Kerry

Steve G,
That's why I had to book Holyhead to D.L. afternoon sailing on Thursday. £99.00 (bike + 2)

Hector,

It seems very odd, but this afternoon I got a place on the 10.30 from Fishguard. Asked Stena to ring the port (Fishguard) to double check... and I got on. All for £41.00 return!

Ferry to Kerry

Steve G. Thanks, but I should have explained that I was starting off from N.Shropshire so Holyhead convenient. H.

I'm on the 10.30am crossing from Fishguard to Rosslare on Thursday 9th June, hope to meet up with others for the ride over. You on that one Steve G?

Looking forward to some great riding and a good few pints.

Cheers.

Yip, Im on that crossing. I plan to leave my house at approx. 0800 (I live near the end of the M4). If your travelling down that morning perhaps we could meet en route? its about 1.25 hours from the end of the M4 to Fishguard.

Rgds

Steve G

I'll leave Bristol at about 6.30 so is there a place to meet at the end of the M4 at 8.00am? A services?

steve g said:
Yip, Im on that crossing. I plan to leave my house at approx. 0800 (I live near the end of the M4). If your travelling down that morning perhaps we could meet en route? its about 1.25 hours from the end of the M4 to Fishguard.

Rgds

Steve G

meet en route

Yes, we can meet at the services (Pont Abraham) at the end of the M4 - J49. See you there, Ill be riding a Dakar.

I guess Bristol centre is approx 1.5 hrs to Pont Abraham. (watch for the speed camera on the Port Talbot flyover section of the M4 (50MPH).

Steve G

Re: meet en route

Thanks, sounds good. If for some reason I'm not there for eight then crack on without me, but all being well I'll see you there. Cheers.

steve g said:
Yes, we can meet at the services (Pont Abraham) at the end of the M4 - J49. See you there, Ill be riding a Dakar.

I guess Bristol centre is approx 1.5 hrs to Pont Abraham. (watch for the speed camera on the Port Talbot flyover section of the M4 (50MPH).

Steve G

By an uncanny coincidence, myself and a mate are touring the emerald isle starting on June 9th, taking the 13:45 Hollyhead to Dun Laoghaire ferry on our GS's and heading clockwise around the fair island once ashore. We had originally planned to do France/Spain but can't afford it, so Ireland is a compromise though hopefully no less fun. Although our planned route may not coincide with the Cloghane trip, it would be nice if we happen to meet some fellow GS'ers either on the ferry or during our journey. In the event we don't meet up with anyone, lets just hope we all share the same fair weather and good fortune for the week.

I can almost taste the Guinness........:beer:

Anyone on the Beara two penninsula south of Dingle should say hello....

Allihies is the village three pubs, hostel and B+B

BTW Ireland as a cheaper alternative to France and spain, I think not...

The problem with the Spain trip was the petrol etc. 3500 miles worth at 200 miles to the tankfull adds up on top of the ferry, campsites, food etc. Ireland will be about 1800 miles as a round trip. Maybe Spain next year when funds improve (I only got my GS recently so pretty skint now).

Money question

Having not been to Southern Ireland before I am wondering whether they take money or not!!!

More specifically - will I be able to use my Switch card or is it Euro's and Visa card country only?

Ta for any help in advance

Sherpa ;)

Switch

Sherpa,

You're Switch card will not be accepted as they use Laser, although some places do accept Maestro.

Some ATMs of the bigger banks, (Bank of Ireland, Ulster Bank, Allied Irish or Northern Bank) will work with your Switch card so that you can withdraw cash.

Visa and Mastercard are widely accepted though.

It would be a good idea to visit your local main post office to buy Euros before you set off. The post office don't charge comission as far as I know.

west kerry spring event

if any one is heading down the west coast let me know. going from galway via kilimor car ferry to listowel tralee cast;egregory etc.

Back
Top Bottom