Is there any reason I shouldn't get a 990 smt?

neiljitsu

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a hankering for a smt. I had a gs1200 which I did love but it turned out to be a bucket of shite. If I go orange will I develop a close relationship to my local mechanic? Or will I have mostly trouble free motoring?
I changed from the gs to a zzr1400 which is great but not for me.
I would love to hear your thoughts on this.
Thanks, Neil

I had a go on one , the fueling is not bad , the ride is sporty , but I was not that impressed to buy one . I've had the 950SM which was a Fantastic bike let down by teething problems ( a delaminating tank causing carb blockage , a starter sprag break and screaching brakes) Then the 990SM , bal fuel delivery and jerky .The SMT has addressed all these problems , but ultimately was a bit like a jap bike and not the full KTM character . The 990SMR is though a Fantastic bike if you get an early one with the trick wheels and gorgeous in white . Try before you buy :thumb

The Smr is a hardcore bike.100 mile tank range .Brilliant at what its meant for, looning!!

The Smt,is the alrounder to have.Not as quick turning as the Smr or as raw.
But as exciting an alrounder as you will get at a reasonable price.

Comfier seat,bit of wind protection and still has the stonker of a Vtwin 990.

Definitely try them,see what suits you.Reliability and build quality excellent.

I might be able to let you know in a couple of weeks. Going to look at one on Monday that a friend from another forum has.
Having had advice from other people I know who've had them, it sounds like it's my kind of bike.
I may be a fair few grand poorer soon. :D
There are of course, a myriad of farkles, fixes and fettles you can do/get for these things, as they've been around for a couple of years or so. Fuelling issues can be sorted, if they present as a problem, but according to people I've spoken to who've had them, they don't all experience it, and apparently you quickly learn to ride around them so to speak. Anyway, coming from a Buell Useless (sorry, Ulysses), which have a fuelling problem of their own, I expect this to be not an issue.

Cheers
Clive

Great news Neil, I've just found a 2011 one meself. Had a good hour's test ride on it (thanks Sye, I know you were getting worried) and was just blown away with how light, nimble and easy to ride it was, and how fecking quick! :eek: :thumb

I thought my Buell Ulysses was a light bike to ride (in comparison to a GS and other similar bikes, but this just seems to take it all to another level. Outstanding, I can't wait to get it home and start enjoying it, but I have to wait a couple of weeks before I can get the time to get up to Cheshire and pick her up.

I think I have my biking Mojo back again. :JB

Will post up piccies when I have it, let see some of yours too mate.

Hi Clive, the bike sold at weekend. Gutted, but I found a clean white 2011 one with 8500 on it. Hopefully I will have this one nailed down by the weekend!

I think I have my biking Mojo back again. :JB

Fantastic news, Clive. :thumb2

I tried the SMT when they came out and in the couple of hours on it, never had any fuelling issues. The main issue was keeping the front wheel on the deck and hence keeping my license for more than a month ! I know only one bloke who has bought one that hasn't (so far) ended up with a few points on his license. Even the salesman got three points while using an SMT. Hopefully you'll be more restrained these days. ;)

Health to ride and post up some pics asap. :beerjug:

Thanks Davy, yeah this was very smooth and glitch free, deliberately tried to provoke it, rode down to 30mph in 6th and it pulled cleanly from that speed, still has standard sprockets.

The bike is absolutely mint, 2 years old, only 1800 miles, with Givi luggage, heated grips, electric Scottoiler and rear hugger. Pick it up in a couple of weeks, will most definitely post pics.

I found this one, it is very clean apart from chain and sprockets which are rusted to shite. It is nearly off putting.
etemezys.jpg

Although the chain/sprockets may look bad, they also may be perfectly servicable and with a little tlc, be brought back to rude health. But if you're not happy, you could always use it as a little wiggle room for a better lower price. A new set should cost around £150, depending on quality. So I don't see it as a deal breaker, but then I'm not considering buying it.

BTW, is it in Belfast Honda ?

Yes, in Belfast. No service history either, but what could go wrong in 8000 miles.

Back
Top Bottom