DrAlf’s Spirited Whales Ride – Easter 2014.

DrAlf

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I rather enjoyed the COUTC Spirited road ride and it’s got me thinking. For the last few years I’ve been leading an Easter ride out around Whales (yes I know it’s Wales) for a few biking mates. We take in the best roads that I know with a mix of fast sweeping A roads, twisty challenging B roads and “terrifying” “white” roads strewn with gravel, sheep and sheer drops if you get it wrong. Focus is on the riding – lots of miles and long days regardless of the weather. Always finished before dark though – unless it goes really wrong. We’ve done the trip in glorious sunshine and snow and ice and everything in between. It’ll almost certainly be wet at some point though – it is Whales. For those that joined the road ride on Saturday – you’ll have an idea as to the kind of roads that I enjoy riding so it’ll be more of the same. On steroids:)

The rough plan would focus on 2 or maybe 3 days of hardcore riding starting from somewhere near Banbury or maybe Hemel (coz that’s where I live/work) and working our way into Whales on interesting biking roads. No motorway or straight A roads.

As per previous ride outs we’d use the last man drop off system and as such people would be free to ride at their own pace. I think I’d have to limit numbers a little but first off I thought I’d post out to see if there’s any interest.

We’d be looking at a start date of Friday 18th April 2014 and home either Saturday or Sunday.

Accommodation would be cheap and bike friendly hotels/pubs/guest houses – I have one in mind. Evening’s entertainment to consist of beer, curry and bike banter.

All bikes welcome.

Thoughts?

I could be up for this, Adam, but I'd need to confirm nearer the time.:thumb I reckon Bill would be up for it as well.:beerjug:

Id be up for it more than likely. Just need to break it gently to the Mrs...I guess put me down as a probable more than a possible!

I would be up for at least one night maybe two, I know of one or two wiggly roads in Wales as well ;) will keep an eye on this thread.

Excellent. Appreciate that it's a long way off so at this stage I'm just gauging interest but it sounds like a goer:) There's some cracking roads to be ridden:thumby:

Sounds like a nice few days.. Would be interested in tagging along... Would meet up on route on Friday... Might even get another 1 or 2 irish tossers to join in :aidan

Just to warn people......

THIS IS A SPIRITED RIDE OUT:D

Sounds like a top idea put me down as possible as find it difficult to plan more than a couple of hours in advance :blast

Okay dokes. I'm off for a pre Easter 2014 Whales thrash tomorrow morning. Muffs fitted obviously and no caravans in sight:augie

Okay dokes. I'm off for a pre Easter 2014 Whales thrash tomorrow morning. Muffs fitted obviously and no caravans in sight:augie

Can't wait, Adam.:JB No muffs on mine tomorrow though.:rob See you in the morning.:beerjug:

Can't wait, Adam.:JB No muffs on mine tomorrow though.:rob See you in the morning.:beerjug:

Can't wait. Cracking roads await us tomorrow. Gonna be a great weekend. See you bight and early.... providing the pyg starts of course:augie

Well folks, we did this ride this weekend, and it was fantastic. Thanks Adam for a cracking weekend.:thumb

Here's a few pictures.

f39e3f65a76f6714b669c6ad4a7967fe_zps96a82cab.jpg

f7d1bf0ac2caa471aa90cf813d76a8d6_zps64f5cafb.jpg

245f7ac8087e8e98b17a1791bef5a556_zps17fbae03.jpg

01d79c43b4f6156b20debb72f978d9d1_zpsb022ef5a.jpg

7873cbbc80c0961049fb8f734c313ed4_zps77af272e.jpg

8bafb13790395e8033bb89d6e8d08de5_zpsb5d8f6bb.jpg

The scenery in Wales, on these roads, is absolutely fantastic.:JB Next time, I'll take my Ghost HD, so I can take some pictures while riding, as we'd have to stop every 2 minutes to take pictures otherwise.:rob:D

Roll on, Easter 2014!:JB

Glad you had fun Rich. Personally that was one of the best Welsh trips that I’ve ever done. Absolutely brilliant roads and long tough days. Great group – I had a lot of fun too :thumby::augie

Whales rideout

Hi All,
Im brand new - this is my first post, just got my hands on a 650 Dakar, I live in wales and would love to meet up on your rideout - i know a few lanes we can trek and i know a few snackbars that do a decent cuppa on some of the lovely roads round here.

If you send me a bit more detail of the ittinerary i could meet you on-route

cheers

Hi All,
Im brand new - this is my first post, just got my hands on a 650 Dakar, I live in wales and would love to meet up on your rideout - i know a few lanes we can trek and i know a few snackbars that do a decent cuppa on some of the lovely roads round here.

If you send me a bit more detail of the ittinerary i could meet you on-route

cheers

hi and welcome to the forum:thumb2

in case you havn't already seen it, may i point you to this thread just so you can get the flavour of Adam's "spirited" rideouts :augie:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?346725-DrAlf%92s-%91Spirited%92-Road-Ride

Back
Top Bottom