G450X dual sport tyres

Preloader

Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips offered in my earlier "newbie" post. All the advice will come in handy when the regular checks are carried out.

I'm now thinking of what tyres to fit. I don't recon I'll be doing much boggy/rocky off road, so probably a bias to green lane and road is the best tyre choice for me.

I like the look of the Bridgestone Trail Wings, but do you get much road mileage out of them?

Maybe I should be going for something like the Pirelli Scorpion MT 90, or Metzeler Tourance style, and just manhandle the bike through the more challenging off road patches. I'll blame getting stuck on the tyres!

What do you think?

ps I think the bike is still fitted with its factory fitted knobblies, with 24hr of wear.

Tyres

Continental TKC 80's are worth a look.
Always had adequate performance from them, especially on the road. Not the greatest either on or off road, they're a compromise but one of the best choices in my opinion.

PS. Make sure to tighten the rim locks sufficiently. I've had tyres move on the rim before - no fun.

I had trail wings on my yam. They didn't get a nick name of "Deathwings" without reason.
They where ok. But could be un predictable an anarchy in the wet on the road. Ok on gravelly green lanes tho.

Tkc's however I loved. Apart from the wear rate. Not a great life. But IMO worth the trade off. But they look like they've got expensive in the last year or so.

If its true duel sport your after eg 50/50 and no extreme off road then TKC 80s is the way forward. Only negative is the front block pattern on a 21" is to close together for slippery descents :thumb2

Slippage and Rim Locks...

Continental TKC 80's are worth a look.
Always had adequate performance from them, especially on the road. Not the greatest either on or off road, they're a compromise but one of the best choices in my opinion.

PS. Make sure to tighten the rim locks sufficiently. I've had tyres move on the rim before - no fun.

I'm curious... I assume they were the correct oem fit, so what sort of conditions caused the slippage, and what is a rim lock? (Don't worry, i'll Google it! But rim locks are not something I have fitted myself before... should I have? :blast)

The K60 is all but useless in the UK for green lanes (this summer being the exception)
Great for long road trips that include trails eg Spain/morocco

TKCs aren't a compromise they are THE compromise if you want both bikes in one. Popular for a reason! I'd say 3-4k is a norm mileage for a rear. But it depends a lot on what and how you ride.

I'd look at the Dunlop D908 rally raid as well. these are more offroad focused, but on a recent trip across the US i got over 5k miles out of a rear on mixed riding, and they definitely look better for boggy going than the heidenaus and TKC's, and didn't seem to bad on tarmac either/

I'm curious... I assume they were the correct oem fit, so what sort of conditions caused the slippage, and what is a rim lock? (Don't worry, i'll Google it! But rim locks are not something I have fitted myself before... should I have? :blast)
Not sure why the rear tyre slipped on the rim because the bead was a tight S.O.B. to break when I replaced the tube, I can only assume that the rim lock wasn't tight enough. Rim locks are designed to pinch the bead of the tyre against the rim to avoid the tyre rotating independently of the rim, otherwise you end up risking pulling the valve out of the tube and getting a puncture.
It's never happened to me before or since.
I use my bike mainly on the road and ride quite erratically in terms of acceleration and braking, this probably contributed to the tyre moving on the rim.

Not sure why the rear tyre slipped on the rim because the bead was a tight S.O.B. to break when I replaced the tube, I can only assume that the rim lock wasn't tight enough. Rim locks are designed to pinch the bead of the tyre against the rim to avoid the tyre rotating independently of the rim, otherwise you end up risking pulling the valve out of the tube and getting a puncture.
It's never happened to me before or since.
I use my bike mainly on the road and ride quite erratically in terms of acceleration and braking, this probably contributed to the tyre moving on the rim.

http://www.grandprixmx.co.uk/khxc/index.php?app=gbu0&ns=prodshow&ref=MichelinRimLock

I see the G450X comes fitted with them. I did notice the part protruding from the rim and wondered what is was... thanks.

I ended up getting the
Motor Heidenau K60 Scout 140/80-18 70 S Rear TT M/C M+S 1
Motor Heidenau K60 Scout 90/90-21 54 T Front TL M/C M+S 1

They look the part, and handle road work well.

Back
Top Bottom