HELP! GS, GSA, TB, TU, RALLYE, WC, TC, WTF!!!

Dirtmonkey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Yes, I know I want one, however!

I've been wondering for years what everyone has been banging on about with regards the 1200GS so I decided to try to get a test ride, Vines of Redhill kindly let me have a new watercooled 1200GS for a few hours and I quickly realised what a great bike the 1200GS is and decided that a GS would be the way forward, unfortunately I can't justify spending so much, or for that matter afford to buy the new watercooled version, so I need some advice please.

The confusion for me sets in with all of these model types, I need some sort of production model "timeline" to explain what model offers what, and is better or worse than! I'm sort of budgeting about 8k for a bike so I'm prepared to pay sensible money, but being a GS newbie I'm a bit swamped by all of these model types, any help would be really appreciated as I want to make an informed decision on my potential new purchase.

The model you're looking for is 950ADV .......... :D

Sorry that was unfair .... Welcome to the Forum mate, whichever you buy you'll be made up! (The GSA makes the better buy)

The model you're looking for is 950ADV .......... :D

Sorry that was unfair .... Welcome to the Forum mate, whichever you buy you'll be made up! (The GSA makes the better buy)

I'm confused enough as it is! :blast

Thanks for the welcome. :)

Ok here goes....

In terms of developments.....far as im aware year model upgrade 2008 was a 5bhp increase in power and these are 'MU' suffix, then early 2010 saw the 'twin cam' version introduced, this had 110bhp and was referred to as the 'TU' update/production line. 5bhp extra doesnt sound much but its supposed to be a fair bit pokier through the rev range.

TB is an abbreviation of a special edition GS, triple black. Released after 2010 these would all be 'MU's ie twin cam , if you get my drift.

Many buyers look for dynamic pack and premium pack options having been added, and most later ones have these. .these options add goodies such as abs and electronic suspension (ESA), heated grips, led indicators, tyre pressure monitor. Abs is definately a must have imo (it just works!) and any bike without should be substantially cheaper.

my advice is the bikes are generally reliable but try cut a deal with a main dealer so you get the 12 months bmw warranty included....oh and get a test ride as the water cooled is supposed to have moved the game on quite a bit in many respects. A 2010 twin cam bike would be a great intro to a GS.:thumby:

In terms of developments.....far as im aware year model upgrade 2008 was a 5bhp increase in power and these are 'MU' suffix, then early 2010 saw the 'twin cam' version introduced, this had 110bhp and was referred to as the 'TU' update/production line. 5bhp extra doesnt sound much but its supposed to be a fair bit pokier through the rev range.

TB is an abbreviation of a special edition GS, triple black. Released after 2010 these would all be 'MU's ie twin cam , if you get my drift.

Many buyers look for dynamic pack and premium pack options having been added, and most later ones have these. .these options add goodies such as abs and electronic suspension (ESA), heated grips, led indicators, tyre pressure monitor. Abs is definately a must have imo (it just works!) and any bike without should be substantially cheaper.

my advice is the bikes are generally reliable but try cut a deal with a main dealer so you get the 12 months bmw warranty included....oh and get a test ride as the water cooled is supposed to have moved the game on quite a bit in many respects. A 2010 twin cam bike would be a great intro to a GS.:thumby:

Thanks SiRich,

2 Questions,

1. Is the Triple Black only available in adventure spec? GSA TB, or can you buy a GS TB?

2. Would 8k be a realistic price to try to buy a 2010 model?

Thanks SiRich,

2 Questions,

1. Is the Triple Black only available in adventure spec? GSA TB, or can you buy a GS TB?

2. Would 8k be a realistic price to try to buy a 2010 model?

You can buy a TB GS - I have one -It's my third GS12 . . .and significantly better than the other two . . . if you can't run to one of those make sure you get a 2008 or later.
:thumby:

Quick look on ebay 8k shouldnt be too far off getting a 2010 from a main dealer, especially this time of year. Dont pay over the odds they like a good markup and dont worry too much on mileage. Two 2011 examples....

Tb 1200 twin cam (2011) colchester kawasaki £8599

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-R-120...2863320?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item33857c88d8

1200 twin cam williams bmw manchester dynamic/prem packs 2011, 61 plate, £8995.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-R-1200-GS-/111113360550?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item19dedf54a6

Welcome to the forum.:beerjug:

Quick look on ebay 8k shouldnt be too far off getting a 2010 from a main dealer, especially this time of year. Dont pay over the odds they like a good markup and dont worry too much on mileage. Two 2011 examples....

Tb 1200 twin cam (2011) colchester kawasaki £8599

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-R-120...2863320?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item33857c88d8

1200 twin cam williams bmw manchester dynamic/prem packs 2011, 61 plate, £8995.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-R-1200-GS-/111113360550?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item19dedf54a6

Welcome to the forum.:beerjug:

Thanks for finding those, I'll have a look in a mo, and thanks for the welcome, :)

I'm hoping to take advantage of the time of year and the fact that there seem to be plenty of people that are trading up to the watercooled GS so there might be a few bargains to be had.

There's a Spanish trip being planned with some mates for May/June14 at the mo, and I don't fancy doing it on my Bandit 1200S, so I have some time to put this in place.

best you not try anything 11** then;)

Are you suggesting that the 11**'s are sloooww? a mate of mine has a 1150GSA and rides like he's nicked it, keeps up with me in the twisties:D

Nah, you don't want a wheezy old 1150!:p

£8k should get you onto an early twin cam, and the twin cam is the one to go for.:rob:thumb:beerjug:

Are you suggesting that the 11**'s are sloooww? a mate of mine has a 1150GSA and rides like he's nicked it, keeps up with me in the twisties:D

You may have encountered your first 'tongue in cheek' :D gser 1150 owner feeling gutted his steed hasnt been mooted as no1 on the wanted list.....plenty diehard followers of the older models on here who get a tad touchy , 'dont make em like they used to' :blagblah.

me dad thinks that about his 10 year old skoda:D

You may have encountered your first 'tongue in cheek' :D gser 1150 owner feeling gutted his steed hasnt been mooted as no1 on the wanted list.....plenty diehard followers of the older models on here who get a tad touchy , 'dont make em like they used to' :blagblah.

me dad thinks that about his 10 year old skoda:D

Thanks for giving me a good laugh:D I know so many people like that:thumb

All the extra goodies are attractive in the showroom but just mean more to go wrong in the long term. A lot of people on here seem to fork out £'00's per annum to maintain extended warranties because of the cost of fixing complex add-ons. Other's sell when the warranty expires.

Good quality aftermarket suspension is worth more to me than electronically adjustable standard tat. ABS, heated grips, maybe uprated or additional lights and that's it as far as I'm concerned. On the subject of headlights GS ones are generally crap. One halogen lamp for dip beam riding is simply not adequate on a dark wet night, especially with cars close behind.

You shouldn't however be put off. Generally the bikes are very reliable. 10 GS's (1 x 800GS, 3 1150's and 6 assorted 1200's) on a one month long 8,500 mile trip last summer (2012) including well over 1,000 miles on gravel yielded one failed LED indicator, (the most expensive failure), one jammed fuel pump on the 800 fixed for free by removing it and bashing it on the concrete floor, a couple of failed headlamp bulbs on 1200's and 1 bolt fell out of my 1150 windscreen somewhere on the Dalton Highway. That's it.

I think that Sgt Bilco has run about six of these trips and I don't know of any serious issues. The guys on the trip with TC's (Twin cams) all seemed to rave about them. I think slightly more expensive valve clearance adjustments are the only downside.

I've got the 1200GSA. Whatever you buy I'd say avoid buying one with the ESA2 suspension. It fails at about 24K miles and is £1200 to replace (it's non serviceable and non repairable). And it's not just me whinging, check the forum - it also failed at 22K miles for one of my mates. Also try to avoid models that need servicing every 6K miles (like the GSA) because BMW servicing is very expensive. I shall be replacing my rear ESA2 unit with a Wilbur ESA 2 unit at £625 all in and then selling the bike. Not sure about all the other BMW models, only mine - a disappointing bike, much over hyped and unreliable.

I got fed up with looking for a second hand bike that I liked so I made the plunge and got a new R1200GS TE LC in Thunder Grey at the end of Feb, registering it on last day of 63 plate saved me enough to farkle it considerably, 450 miles already done, well pleased so far and running in ready for a 2 week trip to Jerez for MotoGP in May.

Job done at long last.

Back
Top Bottom