And so it begins….

Jockser

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hardly had the last bit of turkey been consumed or the last 'refreshment' drunk when Geraldine decided it was high time to start preparations for the Saturday run out and so Brian, Geraldine & myself had our first outing to east Clare over the weekend

Saturday was cold – it was 3c as we left my place and it never got above 4c all day :yikes
The run down to Killaloe wasn't very exciting, motorway all the way, but at least it was dry and calm which was a real bonus after the previous week
By the time we got to the hotel it was a lovely day
View from the hotel carpark towards Killaloe :

The hotel :

The carpark

Out the other side :

Would ya look at the head on that ! :

And then it was time for lunch. See, she does do 'Mammy" :augie:

Needless to say the tuna sanger ain't mine :rolleyes:

I don't want to give too much away about where youse will be going but there's some lovely spots around Lough Derg :

The rain started about 3.30 so we headed back to the hotel for dinner & an overnight

Sunday dawned slightly damp & still a bit windy but a much more balmy 12c. By the time we'd had breakfast & a wee swim the day wasn't looking too bad so we ventured out again :

Shame Ash hasn't booked in for the weekend, he'd love some of the 'roads'

The only gay on the bridge :

A bit of historical architecture :

Again the rain started about late afternoon but as we were happy with what we'd got done he hightailed it for home.
It pished all the way home so there's no picture – we were too cold & wet. Oh, the things we do for youse…

Awesome :beer:

Can't wait actually

My new Klim gear arrived today so I will be out this weekend to test it in North Wales :)

PS Gerry has provided some tips for our post-HK visit so west coast for a few days it is!!

Great pictures, hard a nails you guys. I still don't see the attraction of wet boreens.

.......... yes indeed, it was nice to be out and about on my moto for the first trip of the new year

although I've no idea what Jockser was thinking of going up that boreen to begin with..... I was slipping and sliding all over the place when I went down to rescue him and I was walking

anyway the hotel was very comfy and they had everything I asked for on the dinner menu, others weren't so lucky

Don't think I've ever been so cold and wet before, I was soaked right down to me drawers!!, it started raining at about 15:30 and it was still raining when I put the bike away at home. I did notice a strange rattle and slight vibration while doing 140km on the motorway, oh no whats wrong now.. anyway it wasn't the bike it was me shivering and me teeth rattling......

Great weekend and thanks Jockser and herself

Due to both the weather & 'family issues' I haven't been out on the bike since the first recce but yesterday dawned bright & dry so I decided to take a run down to east Clare & ride a few lanes to see what interesting bits I could find for youse.
After a cold (3c) start it was quite a nice day, between the showers :

I still don't see the attraction of wet boreens.

You won't have liked this one so…

It's shown on Mapsource as a 'road' :eek
To be honest I chickened out at that point. I was a long walk from the nearest house or decent road & decided discretion was the better option :comfort

whetting my appetite already.

Can't wait until March (suppose I will have to though)

Ash is hoping to have a European tour later this year, so sadly funds don't stretch.
As for them boreens, you know where you can put then ;)

:aidan

You will be missed ash,be gentle on the Europeans
Hope to meet up soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yer a martyr to the cause Jockser and of course Geraldine and Brian:clap

Had lunch at the hotel last year. A fine place and great views. I could easily find myself relaxing there with a book and missing the Boreens:eek:

Great pics.:thumb2

Ash is hoping to have a European tour later this year, so sadly funds don't stretch.
As for them boreens, you know where you can put then ;)

:aidan

Ah Ash we were looking for special boreens I mean roads for you, well there is always next yera.

Hope e plans for European tour are going well.

Geraldine

We are heading west again tomorrow to find some more interesting roads and places for the HIgh King Run. Hope to try some of the coast roads and see if they are still holding out after the storms.

Geraldine:aidan

We are heading west again tomorrow to find some more interesting roads

'Interesting' is an understatement !
A lot of the roads west of the N18 are still flooded. And probably will be for a while yet….

So we went around it & headed to the coast at Kinvara for a spot of lunch

A few of the places we came across :

And the search goes on….

Back
Top Bottom