A route suggestion

Madmountainman

Reaction score
I've mapped a route which provides a scenic tour of Exmoor and the Quantocks and will update with suggested lunch/tea stops later.

A Mapsource file is attached to this post.

Attachments

• Brendon.gdb
    82.3 KB · Views: 258
My iMac cant open the file .....:comfort

Neither could mine.:blast
Mapsource isn't all that compatible with Mac so i've been down to Humbug's and used his PC to sort the route. I will have my OS maps with me so you can plot the route in the pub on the Friday.

Places to go, places to stop…

Whether you use my route in the original post or go your own way, here are a few suggestions for refreshments along the way.

Taking my route, head West out of Brendon until you reach the B3223. Head south to Simonsbath and continue on towards Exford. Along this road watch out for a right turn heading to Withypool, which is a lovely small village with a nice pub, which happens to do a great Sunday roast) and some great river walks. You could, alternatively keep going straight on to Exford, on into Winsford and then into Dulverton.

From Withypool, head south on Worth Lane and left onto Slade Lane and continue East on back roads into Dulverton. For those feeling brave, you may want to turn left into Hawkridge and follow Marshclose Hill into Tarr Steps (Big Ford) and stop at Tarr Farm and then continue along back roads into Dulverton.

There's a nice big car park at Dulverton and it's a nice place to have a wander. Tea shops abide but The Bridge Inn and Woods Wine Bar are good places to eat and drink. For those of you that look at the Woods' link, please note the link to the Camping Barns… maybe a venue for a winter meeting? Any interest, let me know.

From Dulverton we pick up the B3222 heading east, turning right on the A396 and immediately left and right on back roads to Bury, through Bury ford (easy small ford - for those wishing to avoid, head south on A396 and take the next left on Dyehouse Lane). Keep heading east from Bury until you reach a crossroads where you turn left on the B3190, which takes you past Wimbleball Lake and continue for several miles when the road becomes the B3224. Keep heading east on this road until you reach the A358 just outside Bishops Lydeard.

You can turn right here and right a little way down this road, to see the steam trains at Lydeard station. We're turning left and heading NW for a couple of miles before turning right to Triscombe Stone. Just before the turning you'll see a sign for a campsite on the left. It's the very next right turn. Head up this lane to The Blue Ball Inn for your lunch. This is a great pub with new owners doing a grand job. I suggest you book for this one. It's also a good lunch stop before you hit the M5 on your way back on Sunday.

Mapsource wouldn't take me over the Quantocks from the pub, but you can go that way if you want. Keep going on till you reach the A39 and head left. Our route heads north from the pub towards Crowcombe. Just before you get to Crowcombe, turn right and head over The Quantocks. There is a carpark on top, usually with an ice cream van. Continue on into Nether Stowey and turn left on the A39. We're now heading westwards, back to Brendon.

Look out for West Quantoxhead, as you head out of this village there's a fork right to Doniford, head to Doniford. This road takes you to Watchet where you turn right, head through Watchet and on to Blue Anchor. Here we have The Smugglers and The Driftwood Cafe for stops. Those of you that went on Freddie's ride out on my 40th do will vaguely remember stopping here.

Hardier riders note, when you head south out of Blue Anchor, via Old Cleeve, you can ride through Bilbrook Ford (longest ford in Britain), turn right as you leave Old Cleeve and right again on the A39. Less hardy riders, miss the right into Bilbrook and head straight on to the A39 and turn right.

Continue on to Dunster and turn left. You may want to stop and wander round Dunster as this is another tea room mecca for the tourist. Ford riders note, turn left into Park St and there's a ford at the end you can have a splash through and back.

A short distance out of Dunster there's a fork right (Knowle Lane). Head down here to Wooton Courtenay and on into Luccombe. Head through Luccombe to Chapel Cross Roads and turn left, heading SW on Crook Horn Hill. Near the top, fork right (there's a car park and views) to Cloutsham (another ford option in Cloutsham). Take the next right as you head up the hill out of Cloutsham and continue to Pool Cross where you'll turn left and head SW again. Continue on till you reach Hillhead Crossroads and turn right, heading north to Porlock. This is a lovely moorland road with great views, twists and turns, which takes you back to the A39 where a car park and ice cream van usually abides.

From the car park, head west on the A39 for two miles where, at Oare Post you'll fork left and head to Malmshead where there's an Irish Bridge option for the hardy. Head north from Malmshead and follow the valley back to the campsite and Brendon.

The whole route's a tad over 100 miles, so a good day out without having to rush to get round. Depending on weather, available ride leaders and requests, i may lead this ride, pick an alternative ride or lead a superb walk.

Opens on my Macbook Pro :)

However, needed to double click on downloaded file to open Basecamp, but the file didn't appear, then click on brendon.gdb file which appears in the left hand pane, then appears in map - weird, but works

Last edited:
Neither could mine.:blast
Mapsource isn't all that compatible with Mac so i've been down to Humbug's and used his PC to sort the route. I will have my OS maps with me so you can plot the route in the pub on the Friday.

No problems opening this file on my Mac using BaseCamp, this can read .gdb files as well as MapSource

Opens on my Macbook Pro :)

However, needed to double click on downloaded file to open Basecamp, but the file didn't appear, then click on brendon.gdb file which appears in the left hand pane, then appears in map - weird, but works

That's working correctly.

Back
Top Bottom