R1150GS - Indicator microswitch replacement

DevonianScotsman

Reaction score
Hi all,

One of my switches on the handlebars has given up the ghost. It's the RHS indicator switch.

Is it possible to replace the microswitch? I'm loathed to replace the entire cluster on the handlebar for the sake of a single microswitch...
I've already tested the relay and the switches - definitely a dead switch (just to save anyone asking if I've tested it all).

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Ah ha! I've got one!

Motorworks have very kindly furnished me with a switch and some instructions on how to replace it.
I'll post a step by step guide with some photos once it's done.

Cheers,

Rob

This post from seven years ago relates to the left hand side switch but the same principal applies.

When you open the switch assembly you will find these two wee switches;

switch2.jpg

One is for the indicator and the other for the horn.

It is quite a tricky job to replace the switches and you need a very fine soldering iron to re-attach the wires to the new switch as you can very easily melt the new switch. I melted two of them before I borrowed a mate's soldering iron. :eek:

Firstly, you need to retain the white collar from the switch in the picture below. Use a sharp pointy tool to remove the insulation from inside the white collar and remove the old switch.

switch1.jpg

Then thread the wires through the collar and carefully solder the new switch to the wires. When you are happy that the switch is working you can fill the collar with a sealant to stop water getting at the back of the switch. Re-fit the switch assembly and that's you done.

It is not a difficult job at all but is quite fiddly.

Hope this helps. :)

This is my reply to a similar thread, I posted it last November.

Got fed up with the RH indicator switch last week.
It has played up from time to time almost since the bike was brand-new (2003 1150GS) but a squirt of WD40 in the correct spot usually cleared it for 6-months or more but recently it has decided that it doesn't want to play ball any more so replacement was in order.

Ordered five micro-switches from Mouser and recieved them 2-days later. Removing the PCB, soldering on the tails and sealing with Araldite was easy enough but on assembly it took me quite a while to work out that the tails need to be no-longer than the original wires as there just isn't anywhere in the cluster to store the excess wire even if it is only a couple of CM's.
All back together, worked ok for the past two days so see how it is long-term. Still worried about water-proofing so may take it apart again to make sure there is a good Vaseline seal.

Keeping hold of the four spare micro-switches until I am certain it is ok.

Worked fine after that and as I have since sold the bike I then sold the spare micro-switches to eager owners.
I did take it apart one more time to make sure the micro-switch was correctly sealed with Vaseline, one tip there is to only apply a thin smear as too much will gum it up!

Sold two today..... So either I sent yours today or will be tomorrow morning!

In reply to above, you can clean them.... But sometimes they corrode at the base and then break. All I know is they're a pain in the arse...!

For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.

For those who do not, none will suffice

I need one of these switches desperately if anyone out there can help please. Damaxa's listing on e-bay has ended and cant PM him.

Fekk :blast going to Scotland and no fekkin right indicator. yea, yea..I'll "do" the Highlands and Skye anticlockwise. :mad:

I think the microswitches for the 1150 are available from Maplins. I remember a thread some time back saying they were available from Maplins for about £2.00.
I did buy one as a spare but cannot find it at present to give you the part number.
Not sure if they are the same as the 1200.

Back
Top Bottom