Help! exhaust studs broken any other alternative ?

alphadog

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
hi.
have decided to try and repair the broken exhaust studs on the gs 1150, ok, that was my first mistake,:D I am now sitting looking at a broken stud with half inch of broken drill bit in it :eek:
one stud has sheared off each side and it blows a bit with just one flimsy soon to break nut holding it.
is there any other option than to strip the heads and take to an engineering firm?

That's a bugger. Sorry to hear that. Taking the head off and swapping the valve gear over on to a secondhand head might be best. I had the same problem and got the drill bit and plug spark eroded (£50) but unfortunately it peeped a hole through where the head bolts run through:( If your's isn't too far in you might be ok but 2nd hand heads are cheap and plentyful enough. It's not a difficult job anyway thank goodness - just a PITA

my fault for fiddling, the plan was to ride the summer then do everything in the shed over winter, but no job at the moment means too much time on my hands and I started fiddling :blast .

They are an absolute prize bi*ch though for sure. I replaced with these but that doesn't guarentee anything! For future ref - I found that getting a dremmel and cutting a slice in the headbolt down to the thread then leaving some releasing agent in for a few days they came off my 170k R1100S no probs.

I couldn't work out from your post above if the studs are actually sticking out from the heads or not or whether they have sheared lifting little protruding material, if there is about 1/4" to 1/2" sticking out I have a tool that might just work.

Try and MIG a nut to it. If the stud has sheared flush with the head, MIG a washer to the stud (weld the "hole" in the washer to the stud) then MIG a nut to the washer (MIG the outside of the nut to the washer).

I've used this for many years and the only time it fails is when the stud is made of something (e.g. iron) that the MIG won't stick to.

Found a Youtube clip here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Asb4RWMvig

Good luck! :thumby:

Just had the same problem on my recently purchased 1100.

Four studs that just wold not move,I cut the studs off level with the heads with a dremmel.

Centre punched the remaining bit of stud then carefully drilled a 3mm guide hole into the stud followed by a 6.5mm hole.

Then very very slowly tapped a new thread using an 8mm tapered tap. finished again very very carefully with a tap that cuts all the way down it's length.

Everything appears ok although I haven't refitted the exhaust yet.

Good luck with which ever method you choose.

Steve

What size is the broken drill bit? Could you get the tips of a pair of Snipe/needle-nosed pliers in to the flutes? If so you might be able to work it out. You need to twist anti-clockwise and pull at the same time. Done this several times with broken bits.

hi guy, thanks for all the helpful hints and tips, but its really bad. one side the stud was broken about 2 mm inside the head, no chance to grip anything, the other side the stud was sticking out about 3 mm from the head, I started drilling a small 2mm hole which went well, then moved on to a 4mm and just about done when the bit snapped deep inside !!!!
so well and truly screwed. on the other cylinder with the recessed stud, I think someone may have lost a piece of titanium in there already, as it just wont drill !!
really peeved now as I really want to ride this summer, waited three years to get a beemer in the uk and although happy with my purchase didn't factor the drama of rusty exhaust bolts into my plan. coming from joburg south Africa this rust story is new to me and it a real pain in the arse. I have just finished putting the exhaust back on with only one nut holding it each side, not the best but need to gather my thoughts for my next attack. best done while riding :D

Never mind, think positive - You've an 1150GS which only has two studs on each exhaust port. The 1100GS 1150RT/RS has three each side :D

deep end

Ok, where are you in the UK? If you are in the Swindon'ish area I know a brilliant guy who has got me out of Jail several times (even after breaking an easy out inside the bastard broken stud that cant even be seen let alone got out) and he is a motorbike rider. If not in this area then put your thinking cap on there must be thousands of capable folks who we turn to when the poo hits the fan. Have a chat to some garages and general repair folks. Light engineering companies are also brilliant at knowing people who can help. Hope that calms you down a bit, taking the heads off would be a last resort for me.

Ok, where are you in the UK? If you are in the Swindon'ish area I know a brilliant guy who has got me out of Jail several times (even after breaking an easy out inside the bastard broken stud that cant even be seen let alone got out) and he is a motorbike rider. If not in this area then put your thinking cap on there must be thousands of capable folks who we turn to when the poo hits the fan. Have a chat to some garages and general repair folks. Light engineering companies are also brilliant at knowing people who can help. Hope that calms you down a bit, taking the heads off would be a last resort for me.

I`m around Norwich and yes I already retrieved the bit of broken easy out !! I did a hundred miles yesterday and while I know it must be blowing with only one stud holding it on,but I cant really hear it [with the remus, doing 80 plus and ear plugs:D ]
its now going to be left until after may,i want to greenlane a bit and go along to the trophy challenge before stripping the heads.

If there's hardened steel snapped off inside the sheared studs then you're knackered.
I'd bite the bullet, remove the heads and take them to an engineering firm with a spark erosion machine. They'll erode out the remains of whatever is in there and helicoil the tapping. While they're at it, get them to remove the other studs and replace them too (with helicoils as necessary).

I bit that particular bullet with a Suzuki head when I was young and stupid - I threw out my easy-outs after that...

Just having this particular nightmare with my otherwise tidy Rockster.
Two studs have snapped and rusty, the other two just rusty. All seized in the head.
No room for stud extractor.
Next step is to get a welder mate to tack on nuts and hope for the best.

And all because I wanted to polish up the exhausts on the mop! :blast

your very lucky if you can weld onto the broken studs, mine are broken way down inside. decided to tackle them next week with more tools !

Happy New year to all 🎉
Just reviving old tread ...
Going true same problem 2 snapped studs on 1100 rt , try weld nut still wouldn't budge , anyway long story short ... if i drill studs out and damage tread what about tap out to next size M10 ? Anyone try this ?

Back
Top Bottom