Road rides on the Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.
drinks.gif

:blagblah

The opening post was a request for local folk to give guidance on "good" roads/routes...this was offered and ignored

Nobody with any local knowledge has offered any routes.:nenau JB cobbled a route together in Mapsource, but I could do that.:augie

As I said, if anyone local, that knows some good roads wants to make some recommendations, we can do those, otherwise I'll do a run to Goodwood and back, taking in some proper roads.:thumb

Nobody with any local knowledge has offered any routes.:nenau JB cobbled a route together in Mapsource, but I could do that.:augie

As I said, if anyone local, that knows some good roads wants to make some recommendations, we can do those, otherwise I'll do a run to Goodwood and back, taking in some proper roads.:thumb

I'd missed this reply before now
Thanks JB, but if I'm leading, it'll be on roads that I know well.:thumb

Maybe across to Goodwood, taking in some Hampshire and West Sussex roads.
Goodwood sounds good to me.
:)

;) However, JB is going to complain if we have to overtake any cars or if there are more than 3 muggles at any given stop. ;)

Edit; I'll PM you Nutty

JB cobbled a route together in Mapsource, but I could do that.:augie

No you can't....................you have Basecamp and you hate it:D

I'll have you know I completed that route, carefully using roads that look pretty good to me

It was not 'cobbled', but meticulously planned:cool:

No you can't....................you have Basecamp and you hate it:D

I'll have you know I completed that route, carefully using roads that look pretty good to me

It was not 'cobbled', but meticulously planned:cool:

This is true.:thumb But, a lot of the New Forest is busy and congested with tourists, and to be avoided, so as nobody else has stepped up with any recommendations, I've ditched that plan.

I hear what you're saying about the south being congested, parts of it are, but get out into the Hampshire and West Sussex B roads, and even you'd be surprised how quiet it can be.:thumb

Just a shame you're not joining us.:augie:D

Likewise my rural roads around Berks/hants/wilts..lovely and quiet

Yeah the New forest will be heaving, honestly Goodwood on Nutty's known roads will be great.

Nutty - I've not been following this thread as I can't make the weekend sadly. Just picked up on it though and I do have a bit if local knowledge, so if you want to pm me with your proposed route I'll happily take a gander and make suggestions if I can.

Hope that might be of some help.

the new forest is very pretty, but is often full of grockles, cyclists and other undesirables, not to mention the ponies, donkeys and deer. it is also pretty much covered by a blanket 40mph speed limit.

i never ride there for fun, but there's not very much of the forest in JB's route.

the ride towards salisbury is a good idea, then i'd go from wilton to shaftsbury on the A30. then tea and cake at compton abbas airfield. from there to verwood is nice and fast with little traffic. some of the best roads near me in fact.

i'm not really familiar with the last bit back to weyhill.

i don't don't recall having been on the roads from weyhill to goodwood either, so that sounds fine to me.

the new forest is very pretty, but is often full of grockles, cyclists and other undesirables, not to mention the ponies, donkeys and deer. it is also pretty much covered by a blanket 40mph speed limit.

i never ride there for fun, but there's not very much of the forest in JB's route.

the ride towards salisbury is a good idea, then i'd go from wilton to shaftsbury on the A30. then tea and cake at compton abbas airfield. from there to verwood is nice and fast with little traffic. some of the best roads near me in fact.

i don't don't recall having been on the roads from weyhill to goodwood either, so that sounds fine to me.

Cheers Cookie, a point overlooked

Take a ride to Lawrence of Arabias house, Clouds hill, lovely empty roads if you know where you're going. From there ride through Moreton forest which is one minute away (all legal), and through the ford (one mile detour for those that don't want to), the other side of the ford is Moreton village, where lawrence is buried. Also nice place where you can stop for lunch, the old schoolhouse cafe.
From there ride across purbeck and along the MOD section of coast road (always open on a weekend) and come out by corfe castle, from there ride to the swanage and then studland for the chain ferry across to Poole, then have a mad dash back to the hogroast.

A nice day out.

Nutty - I've not been following this thread as I can't make the weekend sadly. Just picked up on it though and I do have a bit if local knowledge, so if you want to pm me with your proposed route I'll happily take a gander and make suggestions if I can.

Hope that might be of some help.

Thanks Todd, I appreciate that.:thumb

That's the conclusion I reached. We'll have a good day out.:beerjug:

Take a ride to Lawrence of Arabias house, Clouds hill, lovely empty roads if you know where you're going. From there ride through Moreton forest which is one minute away (all legal), and through the ford (one mile detour for those that don't want to), the other side of the ford is Moreton village, where lawrence is buried. Also nice place where you can stop for lunch, the old schoolhouse cafe.
From there ride across purbeck and along the MOD section of coast road (always open on a weekend) and come out by corfe castle, from there ride to the swanage and then studland for the chain ferry across to Poole, then have a mad dash back to the hogroast.

A nice day out.

Are you offering to lead?:p

Snap to the above. Add to that I'm still on holiday in France so do not have access to my electronic maps.

Agree with the New Forest. Meon Valley is good along with the run from Andover to Stockbridge and Stockbridge up to Farley Mount. Café / Tea stops at airfields are also cool. You have Popham / Lasham and another one I cant bloody remember. You could route north and pass through Watership Down / Lasham etc.

You can route across to Goodwood using the Meon Valley. Routing past South Harting to Goodwood is a little hazy for me at the moment. Trundle hill provokes painful memories (Cycling)

Cycled this a few times. Good route. Also remember a nice Roman road on the return leg (bloody headwind).

And yes I've cycled a lot

Well Nutty, you're now spoilt for choice....make it so No. 1 and may the force be with you.....:clap:clap:clap:clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom