HELP please ... using a GARMIN 2610 with a MAC

retroman

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello

I still use my GARMIN 2610 which I consider to be the best biking GPS unit ever, even if its ancient.

I have just given up on Microsoft and gone over to a shiny new iMac. Problem is, I can't get the computer and the 2610 to communicate. Plus OS X won't recognise the software on the CD-Rom.

I have the set-up disc, v9 mapping, and the unlock codes.

Anyone know how I proceed? I would hate to have to part with my 2610!!

:nenau

No experience with the 2610 (only with Nav IV and V) but my first suggestion would be to start off with Garmin Express. Everything Garmin is now done via GE

First off, put it on your PC and then connect the 2610 and use GE to back up the 2610.

Then download GE to the Mac and then connect your 2610. GE should then recognise your 2610 when you connect it via USB

Hi Paul

My PC has been trashed - hard drive failure - so I can't use that option.

There is also a plug in for mac available on the app store called garmin comunicator
Go onto the Garmin website and its in the support section i think but any way get the garmin comunicator installed and try that

OK I'm not doing very well here.

GARMIN EXPRESS downloaded but it does not support the 2610 and has referred me to MapInstall which I've also downloaded.

However BASECAMP downloaded and now recognises the 2610, but only has the base maps, and I can't work out how to load my detailed v9 City Navigator maps from the GARMIN CD.

Nearly there but not quite!! Please help!!:banghead:

OK I'm not doing very well here.

GARMIN EXPRESS downloaded but it does not support the 2610 and has referred me to MapInstall which I've also downloaded.

However BASECAMP downloaded and now recognises the 2610, but only has the base maps, and I can't work out how to load my detailed v9 City Navigator maps from the GARMIN CD.

Nearly there but not quite!! Please help!!:banghead:

Firstly Base camp is as good as it gets these days and is AFAIK is pretty detailed and certainly with the latest map update which you may or may not be able to get ( more recent zummos and Navs have lifetime map updates)

In base camp click at the top where it says maps and see what maps yopu have

As for loading from a CD i cant help

Apart from the usual Garmin support forums, there are of course other sources for stuff… One that has pretty much anything including maps for download and lots of advice is this http://gpsunderground.com/forum/forum.php

You can of course use Parallels to run Windows on your Mac as I do when I want to use a Windows program.

hi mate …i have a nav iv and an applemac pro….you need to load up Garmin express and base camp …i found it tricky at first designing routes , and time consuming, but i got there in the end.

i had to google something about the nav being compatible with the map but it directed me into garmin express which seems to recognise it and upload the latest stuff. Hope you get sorted

GArmin have a dedicated support back up , contact them if you still have issues

All I have is the Global Map, which is bare bones ....

Yep
You need the city Navigator 2015.??? on both your device and basecamp
If your device will take that mapage i am prepared to give you my garmin log in so you can register the device and do the updates if it will work but you need to know that your device will accept them

In summary, the Op says that:
* I can't get the computer and the 2610 to communicate.
* Plus OS X won't recognise the software on the CD-Rom.

I assume that the 2610 has the maps from the disk you have already on it. If this is the case, I assume that you want to be able to plan routes on your Mac and download them to your 2610. You have, however, succesfully downloaded Garmin Basecamp to your Mac and, more importantly, you say that it recognises your 2610. However, as you say, BC only has the 'Global maps' showing, which are pretty much useless if you want to plan a route etc. But, if BC recognises that your 2610 is connected then there is a way forward: with your 2610 connected to your Mac and with your 2610 recognised by BC, look at the column down the whole lefthand side of the BC window. There are 3 main headings: My Garmin Devices, On My Computer, and Saved Routes. Look in the "My Garmin Devices" and it should show your 2610 and also what maps are on it. Click on the latest maps that are there and BC will recognise those maps and use them for any route planning. Then, when you have a route you can use BC to transfer it to the 2610.

It may be a bit of a hassle to always have your 2610 connected to your mac when you want to use Basecamp, but this will hopefully get you going.

If, however, you do not have the latest maps on your 2610 and/or want to load them from the CD to both the Mac and your 261o, then things become a little more complicated. Garmin have now standardised on Garmin Express to manage and update mapping on your computer and your navigation device. However, as has been stated the 2610 is 'old technology' and is not supported by Garmin Express. I have never downloaded mapping from a disk before, so I am sailing a bit blind here and may risk misinforming you, but I assume that there are instructions on the CD packaging. Anyway......

If GE does not work then you have to use MapInstall to downlad maps from the internet and install them on your Mac and 2610. But let's no go there until you confirm whether BC recognises the maps on your 2610 first

Good luck

p.s. it is also worth stating that it is always better (probably essential) to make sure that you are always using the latest version of any Garmin software (Express, Basecamp, MapInstall etc etc). So also look for the 'software update'/"Check for Updates" option in the pulldown menus and make sure any updates are downloaded.

I would add that Garmin Technical support are usually very good. They have a Freephone number and if you ring up exactly on 8.30am when they open up, then you usually get through very quickly. Try to get them in the middle of the afternoon and you are probably going to be on hold for 30+ minutes.

Look through the GPS Forum here and search on Basecamp: you will find a great deal of usueful info on using Basecamp. In particular there is one thread started by Wapping where many of the options and tricks to using BC are listed and discussed. It is many pages long but it will be time spent well

Paul08 -- thanks for the comprehensive reply. I have tried to load up the maps that are already on the unit but MapInstall gives me the reply NO UNLOCKED MAPS WERE FOUND FOR THIS DEVICE.

I will have a look at Wapping's thread and if all else fails contact GARMIN support.

Thanks again for your help to all.

If the maps are on the unit (your 2610) and Basecamp recognises your 2610 is connected, then it sould see the maps on your 2610

Back
Top Bottom