Misfire and rough running

birdy67

Reaction score
Hi , first post, prob been asked 1000 times....got 2004 1200gs, 25k, been running fine, but on start up yesterday decided to run ,well bloody awful! Low rpm misfire, poor idling, then at 3000rpm..wooosh , off she goes!???Riding home from work was a nightmare in traffic, stalling , splutering , then shooting off! Just swapped new Yam MT 09 for this , thought was getting too old for it ! Local dealer wants £96 an hour so.....any thoughts ? :nenau:D

Secondary coil breaking down, or maybe a throttle cable has come unseated somewhere. Possibly down near the injector body...

Thanks for your thoughts lads, will check cables, sensor and secondary coils....in that order, cheapest option first !:D

.............and always start with a closed throttle :thumby:

Secondary coil breaking down, or maybe a throttle cable has come unseated somewhere. Possibly down near the injector body...

I've run mine with secondaries disconnected and could feel all of absolutely no difference. My secondary spark plugs have a good colour so must be working (when connected that is).

.............and always start with a closed throttle :thumby:

Thanks for all replies.Tried TPS reset, spout,seemed to help a bit ,but not sorted the problem. Removed both lambda sensors, and the right one is much sootier than the left? Ran the bike with sensors removed, and still missing .Waiting for a coil puller tool off the bay to check the spark. Hope i can find which coil may be playing up .Forgot to add i have a low patience threshold and lots of big hammers!

I had similar symptoms with my 09 GSA recently and it turned out to be an air pipe on the offside that had become distorted and not achieving a sufficient seal.

I had similar symptoms with my 09 GSA recently and it turned out to be an air pipe on the offside that had become distorted and not achieving a sufficient seal.

Will check that out bear, thanks.Tried all the coils, nice big spark, both main plugs (new) are black.Should i invest in new lambda sensors, or smash the bloody thing to smithereens with a big lump hammer, im very good at this and would do a thorough job!:mad:

I've had a 1200 in this week with the exact same problem - no fault codes on the diagnostic, coils all new - after doing various plotting on the lap top and carefully reading and interpreting the "real time running" info it turned out to be the TPS...

Just find someone near to you who has a GS911. - plug it in and it'll tell you if the TPS or lamda probes are your problem, if it's a lambda it'll even tell you which one of the two is faulty - --- it has to be a better idea than guess work and buying parts .

Just find someone near to you who has a GS911. - plug it in and it'll tell you if the TPS or lamda probes are your problem, if it's a lambda it'll even tell you which one of the two is faulty - --- it has to be a better idea than guess work and buying parts .

Thanks steptoe,will try to get it to dealer this week. I did try TPS reset, open throttle slowly three times , ignition on? it didnt seem to make much difference, can i rule this out, or is there a better method?

If the TPS is set correctly, the procedure wont make any difference. If its not working, the procedure wont make any difference. Its the TPS has gone out of synch there will be some improvement but probably not much. But, it only take a few seconds so why not give it a go.

Thanks steptoe,will try to get it to dealer this week. I did try TPS reset, open throttle slowly three times , ignition on? it didnt seem to make much difference, can i rule this out, or is there a better method?

TPS reset doesn't fix a broken TPS .. In fact it's pretty pointless as the bike sets the TPS simply by you using it - the only way to reset the TPS on a 1200 us to reset all the parameters, which requires diagnostic equipment . Also remember that most of the advice you get on Internet forums is well intended but mostly guess work by people that haven't actually had your problem and are just repeating what they've read on other forums or from previous posts and passing it off as personal experience :D

TPS reset doesn't fix a broken TPS .. In fact it's pretty pointless as the bike sets the TPS simply by you using it - the only way to reset the TPS on a 1200 us to reset all the parameters, which requires diagnostic equipment . Also remember that most of the advice you get on Internet forums is well intended but mostly guess work by people that haven't actually had your problem and are just repeating what they've read on other forums or from previous posts and passing it off as personal experience :D

Took the bike to local bike shop today.(Garn mototrcycles if anyone in south Wales wants to know a good place!) Guess what they had? Bright yellow 1200 GSA , less than 5 years old, 14000 miles.....dead! They have the gs 911(?) diagnostic tool , but as the engine will not run, not a great deal of use . They phoned Riders in Cardiff , helpful, but they said as Garn boys had tried what they would, they would now have to start inspecting individual items, not going to be cheap ! Poor owner gutted, paid 8k for the bike, saved up for his dream bike .On the plus side, let me try his coils.....back on the negative side, no difference , bike still there , they will let me know what diagnostic shows, or not! After reading some things on here , i think....fix bike , sell, get another Jap ! 40 K on my TDM 900 and never missed a beat.Just lost confidence in the GS now, would not fancy taking it to France , which was the plan this year....whats that over there..?..V Strom.....hmmmmmm:D

Hi email me may be able to help just had same problems taken a while to sort but fixed it last week along with abs failure and pivot bevel box bearing bike keeps me on my toes.:):):) davidmarsden@gmail.com

Back
Top Bottom