T140 0pinions please ~

An early 80's les Harris t140 is the one to have. Paoli forks, brembo brakes and quality engine components. They even had bing carbs (I know that's not always a positive)

An early 80's les Harris t140 is the one to have. Paoli forks, brembo brakes and quality engine components. They even had bing carbs (I know that's not always a positive)

No..no...and no again.....if it was anything like the one I had. It just wasn't "right".

Attachments

• Harris Bonnie.jpg
    Harris Bonnie.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 537

As rare as... I think I've only ever seen one.

It lost that '79 style though, (call me superficial!)

But yes, definitely a development in the right direction

No..no...and no again.....if it was anything like the one I had. It just wasn't "right".

The two I've ridden were lovely things. I had one of them for two days. Punchy, quick and handled well.

What were you doing with a cut down seat on a Bonnies?

I have a Silver Jubilee with less than a 1000 miles done. I didn't ride it much but it has decent poke.
Dropped it in the car park trying to wheelie, not one of my best ideas with 37 year old tyres.
Stripped now for a trip to the powder coater.
I will hang on to it for a few years.

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 545
I'd love exactly that, but I don't reckon I've kept up with the way prices have risen.

I stopped at about £2500... it's now nearly twice that :blast :D
Yep prices jumped a few years ago, even something that hasn't seen daylight for years will cost you more than that now. It is a classic though

I had a 79 US Spec T140E then a T140 Executive (the one with the panniers, topbox and cockpit fairing) then finally another US Spec T140E with an Anglo-Bike Thruxton half race tune on it. That went like hot snot off a twangy stick ..... I wish I still had it :blast

Currently got a 72 TR6C Trophy for all my old Triumph needs

I don't ride it much. I just like looking at it :D

P6060003_zps2713adec.jpg

P6060004_zps0a189f3d.jpg

P6060037_zps6fc1ccf1.jpg

Better than an ISA :thumb2

i stepped off my RD250B onto a uk spec T140V..1978 model.

Was a lovely bike till the mains went....in scotland.

Traded it for a much more reliable guzzi T4.

would have one again for pottering if cheap

I had a '79 T140E Export. After an initial problem which was traced to a gudgeon pin circlip being missed out during production (bike was out of warranty but Triumph supplied all new parts foc), the bike ran faultlessly and I regularly rode it from Taunton to Newark. I eventually sold it to my brother and he had no issues with it. In a way, I preferred it to my '73 750 Commando. It wasn't as quick but came across as a more 'honest' bike. At least the engine was solidly mounted to the frame! I toured France and Italy in the early 80's with a pal on another T140 and neither bikes gave any trouble. I believe these bikes should prove to be more reliable than their reputations. Most present owners ride them much slower than we did in our youth and present road traffic prevents hard fast riding anyway. The majority in those days had the guts thrashed out of them!

Funnily enough, I've now got a Commando in my garage but I'd still love a T140 Bonnie alongside it!

A bike broker in Newton Abbot has/had a very nice Jubilee Edition Bonnie. Meriden pulled out all the stops for them so usually good.

Thrashing the guts out of a 750 parallel twin can't be good. But that weedy oil pump also can't be great when stuck in traffic

I had two of them back in the seventies both were unreliable to the point were you could not ride any distance with any confidence of getting back again (only transport at the time) one dropped a valve the other put a rod through the crankcase.
overrated and these days overpriced pile of crap IMO.
But it is your money spend it where it suits you:nenau

A bike broker in Newton Abbot has/had a very nice Jubilee Edition Bonnie. Meriden pulled out all the stops for them so usually good.

Thrashing the guts out of a 750 parallel twin can't be good. But that weedy oil pump also can't be great when stuck in traffic

I will reassemble mine with:
All plated or stainless bolts.
Powdercoated black parts.
I may rechrome the engine covers or strip the chrome and polish.
T-cut the paintwork.
Maybe electronic ignition.
I think they do an upgraded oil pump?
I will keep all the original fasteners and bits.
My bike also has the signed certificate.

I've done a lot of that on my Suzuki but TBH it would be better with original fasteners. Just get them plated.
The Suzuki has some chrome plated bolts which can now be got as replicas in stainless. Re chroming often never looks right as they end up too rounded off.
Brit iron was usually zinc or cadmium plated. If not too rusty acid dip and zinc electro plate works well.

The Silver Jubilee is Exactly like mine, although I have PeeShooter exhausts. 7K miles and I am the second owner. They are a lovely bike for pottering about, but after a couple of hundred miles you have had enough.

AJ

Back
Top Bottom