T140 0pinions please ~

For me, T140s are like those legendary Sirens that used to lure sailors onto the rocks.

Everything I read persuades me that I really shouldn't own one.

But then I see one and just go weak all over again......

Wavey yours is a peach. Maybe I should get one....

OK, I curently own and use regularly, a 1975 T140v, owned for, er, about 35 years? Also a '68 bonnie I'm just finishing a mostly cosmetic rebuild on (well initially, except I got the crank balanced so actually rebuild from crank up), a commando and a BSA Rocket 3. I've also fixed up/restored/fettled a few Triumphs for others. All run, all are pretty reliable and none of them can be treated anything like a modern bike. This doesn't mean they break down everywhere, it just takes more work in terms of pre-emptive maintenance and (critically) acquiring knowledge.

If you get satisfaction out of understanding how things work, learning from others (Britbike.com is a good start, this thread, frankly, isn't :) ) and get a buzz out of something visceral, authentic and beautiful, then yes, it will be a journey you could really really enjoy, and that means in terms of actually riding them and the wider "ownership experience".

If you think a Hinckley Scrambler/Bonneville/whatever is evocative, beautiful, authentic and visceral, then stick with that, you'll probably be happier in the long term.

T140vs out of the factory were sometimes great, some were woeful (especially crank balance) , all of it can be fixed either by paying someone, or better yet, getting out the spanners and doing it yourself. Spares are generally decent quality and reasonably priced, if you avoid anything with Wassell on the box. The fundamental components are tough, they didn't blow up because of intrinsic weaknesses (mostly), they blew up because they were thrashed by hormonal teenagers from cold, "serviced" infrequently by, er, hormonal teenagers etc. Biggest actual reliability issues these days boil down to 40 year old electrics and carbs.
The technology comes from a time when everyone fixed things for themselves so nothing is especially complicated. However everytime I rebuild one, I learn something new so there are nuances and gotchas, but also a wealth of knowledge out there from people who are delighted to help new owners into the fold.

Priorities -

Buy of a knowledgable owner who actually used it, not something sitting on a dealers turntable

Take someone with you who knows them

Fit electronic ignition

Go through the carbs and if slides worn fit new carbs (Amal premiers don't wear out like the old ones did), if not, fit new needle jets.

Fit a new wiring loom, it takes about 3 hours. Fill all the connectors with silicone grease and it'll last another 40 years.

Save money and don't fit a new oil pump, it has feck all to do with cooling and nothing wrong with standard pump.

If you DO have to rebuild it, get the crank dynamically balanced (they were only statically balanced at the factory, and sometimes not very well). I have mate with a T140 only one day apart down the production line, mine cruises happily at 80, though 75 helps in terms of hanging on, his is rough at 65.

If all that sounds like a ball-ache, see Hinckley comments above. Some of this also applies to old Guzzis and Airheads as well, just less so! My Triumphs are no less reliable than the old Guzzi I chuff about on, they do take a bit more work, but not massively so?

All IMHO :rob

Here's mine;

Yours looks absolutely lovely!
My first big bike was an ‘iron head’ T110 1955 vintage and more recently a TR6P.
Keep lusting after another!:blast

Back
Top Bottom