2015 GS Trophy UK Qualifier - Who's going?

I went. Well in the bottom half for me though. 2 of our team got through to the top 10 which was pretty darn good. Spent a lot of time at the arena milling around tyring to find where to go/what to do and the token system they had broke down. I got a 5 (fail) on the jousting as the bike popped out of gear into neutral so stopped, not really anything I could've done so it put a damper on everything after that. Also my team mate injured himself on the electric bikes so couldn't do some of the challenges that needed two.

On the whole not bothered as I would be in no way capable of getting through to the top 100 let alone any higher.

Spectating as mentioned before could've been made better, having some signage and a minibus running between stages as it was a fair trek from Bike recovery to the enduro section.

There was some very impressive riding on challenging tracks, liked to see the quiet chaps do well and people revving to the rev limiter and abusing the bikes generally failing.

Last edited:
Have the results been posted up anywhere yet? I couldn't stay to find out how badly I did ;)

Have the results been posted up anywhere yet? I couldn't stay to find out how badly I did ;)

Haven't been able to find them on line at the moment either. If I'd thought about it I could have picked up a results list from the marquee and scanned it in.

Good weekend though with some great (brave) riding. I overheard a conversation that one of the top 3 is a pro championship enduro rider so just shows the level the other super finalists were riding at. Bloody good effort.

Haven't been able to find them on line at the moment either. If I'd thought about it I could have picked up a results list from the marquee and scanned it in.

Good weekend though with some great (brave) riding. I overheard a conversation that one of the top 3 is a pro championship enduro rider so just shows the level the other super finalists were riding at. Bloody good effort.

This is what the GS Trophy is about (BMW) "Whist some level of off-road experience is required, the event is designed for hobby and amateur motorcyclists of all abilities. Riders competing as experts, or above, in any form of off-road motorcycling, should not take part."

I was talking with a couple of the top 3 and they have all ridden off-road to some level of expertise previously. I can't remember who but they said they were ex-champion or ex-something, certainly more than just keen amateurs. The riding on the Sunday was well impressive. If you watch some of the other GS Trophy videos from past years, its not something for the feint-hearted, you gotta know what your doing and/or have the balls to do it. Like I said throwing a 200kg+ bike around like a toy is no easy task. My hat is well and truly off.

Results for Day 1

I have photos of the results.

Got to walk the dog now, will upload the rest later....

Results continued...

125-153

154-181

182-209

210-222

I was first up on the endurance loop and was too cautious on the the first lap (1:18), so picked up a couple of points there, plus a couple more on the trial sections, then didn't get the troll names under the bridge and counted 11 gates. So 6 points and 24th place on day one.

Here are some more pics of the day...

Waiting to set off, at 30 second intervals

Page one of the road book.

Sunday evening.

Watching the riders return at the end of Day 1

Campsite at the back of the pub.

Catering Saturday evening

Film show, killing time before the top 50 were announced.

Sunday

On Monday morning the Top 50 (which included Sid in 7th :bow) were reduced to 10.

The off-road challenges were completed on BMW's bikes and the tasks were made more difficult than day one, with reduced time to complete.

Bike recovery task - 17 seconds allowed!

Here's how it's done (click image for video)

It was an awesome event. Saturday started well as we went straight to Walter's Arena for off-road events whilst body, bikes and course were all fresh. First event was electric trials bike. I've ridden trials bikes since I was 14 but a silent bike is weird and surprisingly quick. Next was bike towing which was easy if you went fast enough. Bike skills included a holeshot/ Le Mans start blast. Being unfamiliar with the 1200 lc, I suffered a 0.4 second penalty and I misheard the instructions (I'm 60% deaf) so parked at the finish line rather than blasting thorough. Got one time penalty point for that. The giant slalom was fun but again the 1200 lc was bit snappy on gravel so I took it easy rather than risk dropping it. Clean round but just over target time so another penalty point. Trials sections was simple so cleaned that.
I was dreading test in afternoon for Fitness. Poor girl marking thought I was going to have heart attack in front of her but I survived. Last task of day was changing a tyre. I change my tyres regularly at home so set fastest time for this.
When they announced top 50 in reverse order, I was amazed I'd finished 7 th. Unfortunately, the day had taken its toll on my damaged wrist which was very painful and swollen so not sure how it would hold up on the Monday.

Well done Sid :rob I thought I recognised that bald spot !

Monday morning I had to spray my wrist with freeze gel to numb the pain. Back to Walter's Arena for more off-road fun. I went first in skid test. Took me a few minutes to program the 12 lc with all the settings and options. Blasted to line, locked rear wheel and skidded past furthest marker. Unfortunately the judge decided that back wheel had locked just past line so I was given maximum points. Second test was Le Mans start. Having lost 0.4 second yesterday I thought it might be quicker to mount the bike from the right hand side as you ran to it. Swung my left leg over and it got caught in the seat rack and delayed me so more penalty points. Third test was giant slalom and I loved that. Never touched the brakes and drifted it around every cone. Came through pair of finishing cones with drift to rooster tail the other riders in gravel. Well within the time, in fact the fastest time set. Unfortunately I clipped cone through finish and collected maximum points again.
Next area was the one shown in photos of picking up bike and walking it around trees. On Sunday you were allowed 4 minutes but on Monday maximum of 25 seconds with target of 17 seconds! By now my wrist was so swollen I couldn't lift anything so decided from that point on to forget top ten and just help the others. I cleaned the next task which was jousting. Riding just using the clutch with right hand holding plastic pipe to knock balls off stands. It was difficult as course started uphill and lots of people stalled.
Trials should have been easy but knackered wrist meant I couldn't hold bike and had to paddle thorough for threes.
Fantastic weekend, would recommend to all GSers.

Back
Top Bottom