590 not charging via USB

I got a new battery sent....eventually. Sold the unit shortly after and was going to downgrade a tad, but ended up buying a brand new 595LM. Haven't even fired it up since getting it a few weeks ago.

Another 590 going back for exchange.

Mine wouldn't charge in the car but that turned out to be a blown fuse in the car:blast

Then I found it wasn't taking charge through the USB port. I left it on charge overnight and when I switched it on I watched the battery indicator go from Full to empty in around 4 seconds.

This is where I got Garmin support involved and they have set me up for a return and replacement with a reconditioned unit.

In the mean time, I disconnected the battery from the unit whilst checking for a loose connection and since reconnecting the same battery the unit shows full charge and has been behaving itself impeccably:blast

Think I'll send it back for replacement anyway :augie

You will only get a refurbed unit also the replacement loses the LM status I've had to contact Garmin everytime I've upgraded mine because of this which is a pain.

Yep, Identical problem.
I have been through 4 (yes, 4) batteries, and the 4th one (all Garmin supplied) finally worked and my unit is now working perfectly.
To their credit, Garmin continued to help me even though my unit was well out of the warranty period.
So, try them.

After a month or two of non-use, my fixed 590 is playing up again. I've ordered a new battery but if that doesn't work it's going back :mad:

Interesting.........

On the bike the 590 showed it had power input but as we already know it isn't charging the battery.
I ordered a new battery.

In the interim, I put the unit on charge via USB using a Garmin charger. Lo and behold, the unit takes and holds charge. Oh dear, have I just bought a new battery when I should maybe have got a new bike mount?

Well to cut a long story short, the new battery was put in the unit and off we went on the bikes with the unit geing powered from the bike as before. After about 60 miles I took the unit off the bike to find it had taken and was holding charge! :eek:

Must be the wiring on the battery itself then....... wheres my scalpel?..........

You do not have to remove the terminals.

Here's a vid - in Dutch.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/msCQiw6vqms?rel=0&start=146" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You do not have to remove the terminals.

Here's a vid - in Dutch.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/msCQiw6vqms?rel=0&start=146" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The key point he makes is not to bend them too much. If you struggle to refit the white plug you've over done it.
graag tedaan en wel success

I've had the whole unit replaced because if this charging issue and it's still as bad.

The solution in the above video has been tried but no success yet. Need to be braver.

Pity you have to register to view these Zumo forum postings.

A fix is also described in http://outsider-adventure.blogspot.ie/2017/06/garmin-zumo-590lm-battery-fix.html
These steps worked nicely for me. For the first time ever my 590 now has a batter lifetime of more than 2 minutes.

I have just followed the instructions from the outsider-adventure post after my 590LM started showing "battery low" warnings even after having been charged for hours - both in cradle and via USB. And it seems to have worked, the display immediately showed the battery (previously showing nil charge) was 75% full when it was not plugged in and the charge has remained at the same level for 12 hours (I switched it off overnight, then on again in the morning).

It your Garmin is out of warranty then it is definitely worth trying these steps before buying a new battery, I just wish I'd found the post earlier...

Unbelievably, my 595 is having battery charging problems and more unbelievable that Garmin still don’t recognise the problem.
So, to recap, I looked at this link... http://outsider-adventure.blogspot.co.uk/2017/06/garmin-zumo-590lm-battery-fix.html

I decided to have a go today and bingo...it’s now charging properly and apparently holding the charge as it should. It’s dead easy to do and I’m :bounce1

wish i could do this but my neuropathy'd fingers just aren't up to it:blast

Back
Top Bottom