590 not charging via USB

Jersey_GS

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have had my 590 plugged into my PC for about 2 hours and the battery hasn't taken any charge at all. I tried an AC charger and that has made no difference.

Anyone had similar issue?

:confused:

turn it on first, mine only seems to charge if it is on, or in sleep mode, mines does nowts if it is fully turned off.
Would be up the creek if the battery was flat as wouldn't be able to do either.:nenau

turn it on first, mine only seems to charge if it is on, or in sleep mode, mines does nowts if it is fully turned off.
Would be up the creek if the battery was flat as wouldn't be able to do either.:nenau

Hi Kenny, The set was turned on when I plugged in the USB, the screen instantly gets brighter before going into transfer mode but the battery level remains the same. I have tried an AC adaptor with the same results.

Going to stick it on the cradle on the bike take it for a spin to see if that cures the problem, although I don't want to do this every time I need to charge it up.

Check the leads are in good nick and straight. The micro usb port is sensitive to bent cable jacks and the socket sometimes needs a wiggle

Stuck the 590 on the bike cradle and went for a spin for about an hour during which time the battery indicator went from 1 bar to 2 so it does charge ok. Came home and tried to carry on fully charging via the AC adaptor and after about 1 1/2 charging the battery went from 2 bars to 1 so not charging via micro usb :-( Think I will email Garmin.

The jack lead is sound and it is the one supplied by Garmin I have transferred routes from basecamp ok today.

Just had a quick look at Garmin webshite and found this

Garmin Support

Frequently Asked Questions

« Get additional answers from Garmin

How can I tell if my automotive device is fully charged?

04/11/2014

There are three ways to charge the internal battery in your automotive GPS device.
1.Use the provided vehicle power cable that came with your GPS device. The device will charge while powered-on and using the device, as well as when the GPS device is powered off and
plugged into a running vehicle.

2.Use an AC power adapter. Some devices come with this power cable to plug the GPS device into a wall outlet allowing the GPS device to take a charge. For devices that do not come with
this cable, one can be purchased from Garmin's online store.

3.For most devices, the final way of charging the battery is to plug the GPS into a powered-on computer with a USB cable.2 This method of charging will be a trickle charge and it may take
longer than the other two options, however it will still charge the battery. A full charge via USB may take as long as 8-12 hours. A USB cable is provided with certain GPS models.
For devices that do not come with this cable, one can be purchased from Garmin's online store.

Please note: All devices will come with a suction cup mount and vehicle power cable to charge the device. However, only some models come with an AC power cable and/or a USB cable.
If either cable did not come with the device, they can be purchased from Garmin or Garmin's dealers. To purchase one from Garmin, please visit our website at https://buy.garmin.com/shop/

Garmin only recommends using an AC power charger that is purchased from Garmin. Third-party cables may not charge the nuvi. The message "Attached power cable cannot charge device.
Please use the cable provided with your device" may display on the device if using a third-party charger or third-party USB adapter, etc.

1Please note that temperature can play an effect on the charging of a device. If the battery registers a temperature of 0°C (32°F) and below or 45°C (113°F) and above,
it will not charge. When connected to external power, it will only be operating off of external power.

2The Quest, Quest 2, and nuviCamLMTHD will not charge using a USB cable.

Will have another go at charging maybe give it a little longer via usb, my 550 didn't take very long.

Update, I phoned GlobalGPS where I bought the device they gave me Garmin's support number, I gave Garmin a call and they are replacing the GPS no questions asked, superb \0/

Good stuff.
I christened my 590 last weekend. 903 miles down and around the Loire. I'm really pleased with it. Expensive bit of kit that does lots of stuff that I don't need (music, smart phone weather etc) but the screen and the way it changes from heading up to north up and view route at a touch of the screen is very slick and smooth :thumb2

Neil

Garmin customer support does seem to be very good.
Possibly because they get LOTS of practice.

Good stuff.
I christened my 590 last weekend. 903 miles down and around the Loire. I'm really pleased with it. Expensive bit of kit that does lots of stuff that I don't need (music, smart phone weather etc) but the screen and the way it changes from heading up to north up and view route at a touch of the screen is very slick and smooth :thumb2

Neil

Hey Neil,
Glad to hear your happy with the set \0/ I like the "up ahead" function especially when looking for a fuel station works much better than the 550. I know the 390 has this too!

I got the new set back yesterday, well not new, I received a "refurbished" unit. It works perfectly and charges via USB so sorted.

Updated the maps and the like and reloaded the backup, Happy days :beerjug:

Bit of an old thread resurrection but someone may find my experience of use. I too have purchased at enormous expense a Zumo 590lm and found that it did not seem to take a charge from either the computer or from a usb connection mains charger. The common factors in my efforts were the unit itself and the supplied usb cable. The cable works to transfer data back and forth between the unit and computer but will not pass a charge to the battery. The unit will charge in the bike and car cradles. An alternative cable from a usb mains charger fitted with a Zumo compatible connector ( from one of those inexpensive packets of universal connectors), will charge the battery from the mains.
That is all.
Alan R

I have a feeling the Micro USB on my new Zumo 590 is faulty tried to complete the latest updates but neither my PC or Laptop could update the software via Garmin express or basecamp???
Every time I am getting an error window "could not communicate with device" even though my PC and Laptop can see the device and basecamp can send routes and see the mapping on the device.
I have used different USB cables with no success.

Anyone else have similar issues??

I have a feeling the Micro USB on my new Zumo 590 is faulty tried to complete the latest updates but neither my PC or Laptop could update the software via Garmin express or basecamp???
Every time I am getting an error window "could not communicate with device" even though my PC and Laptop can see the device and basecamp can send routes and see the mapping on the device.
I have used different USB cables with no success.

Anyone else have similar issues??

I've had problems charging my 590. Can't seem to get a full charge at all, neither mounted on the bike/car or plugged into wall socket. Ive been able to bring up a screen that says it is charging, but nothing happens. I'm now trying to charge it with it being off, not hopeful TBH. I've phoned Garmin and they are sending out a new battery to try.

On my second 590, which works fine on the bike, but holds no charge whatsoever.

The unit even says on the screen that it is fully charged, but dies the moment it's unclipped from it's mount.

Anyone got Garmin's customer service number ?

Garmin failed to charge in either car or bike mount - charged fine via USB

Posting here for info - my 590 stopped charging via the cradles in the car and on the bike. It would charge via USB but it didn't hold it's charge very well.

Contacted Garmin via their web page. Reply received in under 1 hour with RMA number for a product return. Sent it back and refurbished replacement unit on its way to me - 3 day turnaround.
Impressed with their response, but the lack of questions and speed of replacement makes me suspect I am not the only one whose 590 has had this fault.

Still, Garmin has done enough to keep me happy and that's to be commended!

Back
Top Bottom