Nav III - updating maps - I've never had a Garmin before......

Status
Not open for further replies.

andysdad

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've been given (FOC!) TWO Nav IIIs and want to update the mapping - I've never had a Garmin unit before so know nothing about Mapsource/installing maps etc.

One unit has CN Europe 2008 (BMW Motorrad V3.00), the other CN Europe 2009 (BMW Motorrad V2.00); I have Garmin DVDs for CN Europe 8.01, 8.02 and 9; all have serial numbers on the boxes.

Reading various posts it looks like Nav III has issues with the sizes of newer mapping and Garmin is making it difficult to update them.

Since I don't want to spend too much on this (both units have cracked screen surrounds but work fine), I think Open Street Maps is probably my best bet and have found their site and can see how to download them.

I read something about unlock codes - are these software or hardware specific?

Please can someone point me to a how-to post for beginners on using Mapsource and loading maps?

Thanks in advance

A

OK - I've learned a little more Garmin-speak but still need some help.

Garmin's website says there are no updates available so I want to use OSM.

My numpty questions are:-

1. Do I need the unlock codes to replace Garmin's maps with OSM?

2. I don't think 2820 does mass storage mode to simply overwrite the map (.img?) file. Or is this wrong?

2. I do not have the unlock code for one unit - how can I get it? The unit is registered on the PO's myGarmin account to which I have access.

3. Should I add the other (for which I do have the unlock code) to his myGarmin? (Easier than de/re-registering etc.)

All advice gratefully accepted from the wise!

Cheers,

A

If you use OSM there is no need for unlock codes etc

You will need Mapsource on your PC (Mac is a bit more finicky)and the requested tiles will go straight into the program and show up in the top left drop down map panel .... and away you go

Not sure how much memory the 2820 has but the 243MB Quest will only take about 1/4 of the UK tiles - however once you have decided on your route/s you can deselect any superflous map tiles using the "map" tool in Mapsource - or in your case divide up the routes between the two devices

No need to muck about with registering/dergistering them imho

Kritou,

Many, many thanks for that - I will have a gander. I've downloaded Mapsource but not installed it yet, so I have the pleasure of learning that next!

Nav3 has a bit more memory I think so you can UK and France in for example. Old tech rules, especially when it is free!

Cheers,

A

I presume the original Mapsource discs came with the units - you will need these as one will have the very necessary Worldwide Basemap as well as a copy of some City Select mapping which you don't have to have

I presume you have already had a look at http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl and worked out that it is the Generic Routable map type you need

In the Mapsource drop down menu your chosen tiles/country will show up as OSM generic routable (XXX XX-XX-XX) If asked to unlock any Garmin mapping version just Skip

It may just be that in the absence of a Garmin Worldwide Basemap the OSM download may install one - but I'm not 100% on that

Nearly there but the OSM maps are too large for the remaining memory in the unit.

I cannot unlock the CN Europe V9 maps in Mapsource - I assume that if they were unlocked, I could reduce the CN9 tiles to a minimum to free up memory (see this thread).

I have connected the unit via Garmin's website (only via Internet Explorer as the Communicator plugin does not work on Chrome!), put in the ID and S/N and Retrieved Codes and it comes back saying Maps Unlocked. But this is not reflected in Mapsource.

Perhaps the CN9 DVD is a different unlock code from the maps in the unit. They ask for the 8 digit code but the DVD only has a 10 digit s/n and Unlock codes are 25 characters.

When I Retrieve Maps from the unit, it says there are no maps in it.

OSM requires 560MB and it fails to upload saying only 531MB is available in the unit - I think something is filling it up, but what?

All help gratefully received - I'm off to bed 'cos my head hurts.....

Can you send me the unit IDs - there is a fellow down the pub who might know something about appropriate unlock codes for City Navigator Europe 2009 if that helps .....

I'm going away tomorrow morning and would have to talk to him today

Kritou - sorry but I missed this. PMed you although I guess I'm too late!

Made some progress but...

First of all - that 8 digit product key. These appear to be a major problem for lots of people, especially when buying secondhand. This is because Garmin didn't always supply the code (on pre-installed units) or it got overlooked/lost (it is on a little bit of folded-up paper in the original box).

BUT I did not need it in the end to unlock CN9 in Mapsource. There is a work-around as follows:-

(Based on a 660 but should work for all units; if you have the 25 digit unlock code, start at Point 4)

1. Register the 660 online with Garmin. That will generate a 25 character unlock code (which isn't written down anywhere) and a 7 character registration key. (If you previously registered the unit in myGarmin, go to the unit, manage maps and retrieve the 25 digit code)

2. Make a note for the 25 character key.

3. Install the map DVD that came with the 660.

4. In MapSource, select Utilities / Manage Map Products.

5. Instead of choosing the obvious option and unlocking online, DON'T! Select the Unlock Regions tab, and click Add.

6. Enter the 25 character key you made a note of just now, and Bob's yer Uncle, Fanny's yer Aunt; MapSource has unlocked and will now recognise the maps.

Anyway, having successfully unlocked CN9 in Mapsource, I then selected the Noordzee 2 tile only (as it is only 8Kb) and sent that to the unit. In theory this reduces the GMAPPROM.IMG file (the undeletable standard mapping) to a minimum size. This should then allow more RAM to become available for the OSM mapping.

But it didn't - still getting an insufficient RAM warning with same size data (so the preloaded map is still the same size, not reduced to 8KB).

So, I need to find another way to shrink the GMAPPROM.IMG file.......being a Nav 111 you cannot access the device as an external drive (see David Nimrod's post below) so fiddling with files is not easy.

All help gratefully received as ever!

Success!

Ignore the above about shrinking the CN9 file size. I found a way to replace CN9 completely as the preloaded mapping. Thanks to Bumpkin of this parish and links here that lead me to the solution (here and here).

The second link has the better description, and crucially if you are on newer Windows (7+) see page 3 of that link to see how to enter the Batch file commands manually (i.e. not Autorun) because W7+ won't run the Batch file as described on page 2.

I now have up to date OSM mapping on one unit. The other unit is not registered to my PC/Mapsource, so I need to do that first otherwise Webupdater won't do it's trick.

Having said all the above, bl**dy h*ll what a cumbersome update process Garmin used/uses. Give me TomTom Home anytime!

A

Success 2

Ignore the need to get maps and unit registered on myGarmin or the maps unlocked in Mapsource. A 45 minute call to Garmin (freephone and an obsolete unit - cannot praise their customer care enough!) got the (never-registered!) unit on my account, but not really needed as I was installing OSM maps which are unlocked as standard.

Unit would not connect due to faulty USB connection - opened the case thinking the connector had separated from the PCB but looked OK. Put it back together and it worked - must have been dirty contacts (the USB sub-board relies on tangs that press on the main board when the two halves of the case are screwed together).

Anyway, OSM maps uploaded as before and Bob's etc.

Can still use Mapsource to plan routes etc., but now I have 2015 mapping instead of 2009. All in all an interesting project resulting in 2 working Nav 3+.

Off to donate € to the OSM website.

A

Excellent. Thanks for sharing your findings, which i'm sure will be of help to others.

Good to hear at least one vote of thanks to the (much maligned) Garmin support desk, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom