help needed

tailscookie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
i have 7 days spare for me and the mrs to do a few miles around France,the trip must include a few nights in a hotel so we can explorer ? we won,t be camping but not staying 5 star if you know what i mean,any advice welcome :augie:thumby:

A little bit more info might help people to help you, like how far do you want to travel, what are you and your good lady interested in, where are you traveling from.

Last September I did a 5 day trip based in Amboise at the Ibis Budget Hotel.

I rode each way up and down the River Loire stopping for lunch and tea.

One complete day was looking around Amboise, having a 2 hour conducted tour on a Segway electric machine (great fun) hire down by the river and a good look at the Chateau which was the home of some Kings of France and where Leonardo da Vinci lived his last days - buried in the chapel on site.

Lovely area.

Safe riding,
Mike Davies

A little bit more info might help people to help you, like how far do you want to travel, what are you and your good lady interested in, where are you traveling from.

a few months ago we done the west coast of ireland,staying b/b for 5 nights and the rest with relatives,we done 1200 miles from Birmingham and back,but this time her in doors said she would,t mind staying in a hotel with a pool and ride around that area and move on,.
as long as there,s nice roads,i do not want to be stuck on motorways all day,scenery ,mountains etc would be the order of the day.

if you're looking at Brittany as a base maisonlaudiere.com is brilliant Carole and Nigel could not be more welcoming and very comfortable accommodation.

the Vosges and stay at the Col de Bussang easily doable in your time span and some great riding, on the way there try Luxembourg as a stop over or this Hotel for Bastogne and Vianden, again some very nice roads to be found

If you search a bit, you'll see that I have posted up assorted three and five day jaunts into France and Belgiium that might suit you.

However, as you live in Birmigham (and I live in London) it's quite possible that you'll not be crossing over via Calais. So, let's start with you telling us some basics:

(1) When are you planning on going? Next week, next month, next year?

(2) Where do you envisgage crossing to?

(3) Do your 7 days include the inevitable half a day journey from your front door to France and back?

(4) Are you a bash down the motorway, hoon around the Alps, bash back up the motorway kinda fellow? Or are you a goat track, never touch a motorway, I use the sun, get up at dawn, stop at dusk merchant? Or a flower presser, stopping every five minutes to wonder at nature and take a picture of it having got up at 10 AM, breakfasted, and ready for a snooze at noon type of chap? In short, give us the vaguest of clues, pal.

i have 7 days spare for me and the mrs to do a few miles around France,the trip must include a few nights in a hotel so we can explorer ? we won,t be camping but not staying 5 star if you know what i mean,any advice welcome :augie:thumby:

As someone else has already said the Vosges/Jura would be an option. You could also explore the Ardennes. If you're not welded to France a good venue for a short trip would be the Eifel in Germany. Half a day from Zeebrugge and lots of roads to keep you happy for a week plus loads of biker friendly accommodation.

It's nice having biker friendly and recommended accommodation listed here but, if you fancy a proper bit of French Hoteling, you won't go far wrong by going into the first major town's Office du Tourisme and ask for the Logis de France guide.

Ibis can usually be found in most large towns and many of the smaller ones. Usually my first choice for a weekend trip if I can't be bothered camping (or the forecast is wet :) ).

http://bike-stay.net/france/index.html is also worth a look; I've found a couple of B&Bs through the site.

Booking.com and Expedia are useful too.

Today's MCN has some easy suggestions, probabably the same / similar to the excellent ones in Ride.

What do the pair of you want?

Long days out or Short Rides, plus are you happy with a long day out / back to open up more options.

What do you want to see? Mountains, Towns, Villages, Rolling Hills

Do you want to do anything else? War Sites, Churches / Cathedrals

Are you after great biking Roads and / or Amazing Views or is the ride secondary.

Would you rather stay in a town / city / middle of nowhere.

7 Days from Birmingham I reckon Vosges / Ardennes or Black Forest are all good options, you could ride through all three, or do one in detail - or anything in between.

sorry guys change of plan.
now going back over to sth of Ireland,the ring of Kerry etc,still need a few pointers where to stay along the way,7 days from dublin,poss down to wexford 1st stop then cork,then a couple of days somewhere near to the ring of kerry then back towards dublin.:aidan

You may find people saw your first post when you were aiming for France, and didn't follow the rest of the thread!

Back
Top Bottom