CALLUMS ROAD UPDATE

paintman

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Debbie and I had the pleasure of going to a gathering organised by Heather on Saturday at her home in Surrey to thank supporters past and present of The Gambia horse and donkey trust. A huge ammount of work had gone into errecting marquee's, and preparation of food including some traditional Gambian dishes, it was great to catch up with some old friends like Ros and Anna, naturally Heather was much in demand but I managed a quick chat and asked about the road that was built up river in The Gambia with a little help from some great members of this forum (for those that might be interested here is a link to a little trip some of us did in 2010. http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/218794-Thunder-s-Road-Calum-s-Road-2010/page8) by all accounts the road is holding up well but there has been some deep water flooding at times so the road has had some erosion which requires maintenance now and again.
Heather has written a bit of a report about the evening on Facebook but I have no idea how to link you to it, but search for The Gambia horse and donkey trust( or Heather Amstrong ) if interested and hopefully you will find it.
John.

A little trip? Really? Snow, ice -20ºC or some such silliness in Europe and then high 30º's in Africa plus war zones and terrorist threats. Nothing you wouldn't encounter en route to Tesco's of course. Some nutter rode all the way back as well, must have been insane. Can't remember who that was :augie.

A worthy cause:thumb

Great to hear that all's well with Heather and the Trust and that the road is more or less in one piece :)

I couldn't link to it either but here's a cut'n'paste of Heather's write up..................

Last Saturday we had a "gathering " to bring as many of our volunteers from over the years and supporters together as we could for a reunion and to enable our wonderful supporters to meet some of the very special people who have made "Horse and Donkey" what it is today. We even managed to get some of the wonderful Vets with Horsepower and a representative of the Calum's Road motorbikers there. It was an outdoor evening event and it is a testament to our supporters and volunteers that no one stayed away due to the appalling weather. We ate benachin, a traditional Gambian meal, cooked by Bryce's Old School House owner Bill Bryce and we danced to the music of a superb band called Men in Sheds, the singer of which also doubles as my chiropractor! They all gave their services for free and we just paid for the ingredients of the food or the cost of travel for the band. Huge thanks to both for making it so special,
My only sadness is that so many wonderful people, who mean a great deal to me, came that I just could not spend as much time with each of them as I would have liked to, especially as many had travelled a great distance. Ann Varley came all the way from Scotland and worked like a Trojan to help with the organisation. It was lovely to meet Kathy Sharman and her mother who have fundraised so much for us and to get so many of the wonderful vets, volunteers and supporters together. I could make a very long list of extra special people who mean a great deal to this charity and to me but it would take too long to write down 150 names. You all know who you are and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for coming and for everything you have done for The Gambia Horse and Donkey Trust. There were many others who were unable to attend and we missed them and value their contribution to the charity equally. You should all be very proud of your contributions both financially and through your time, knowledge and effort and everything you have done for this charity is very deeply appreciated.

Andres

Back
Top Bottom