ABS Light on at start

carlobar999

Reaction score
Hi,

Turned ABS of to ride a couple of lanes, now when I start the engine it stays lit with ABS off, if I press the switch again the light goes out and ABS works correctly.

Anybody had this before and any ideas on a fix ?

The bike is a 2010 800gs with 28k.

Thanks in advance

when you re-start the engine, have you stopped the engine by turning off the ignition or just hit the kill switch leaving the ignition on ? According to the handbook if the ABS light stays on after turning on the ignition then there is a fault with the ABS.

All sorted, don't know how just seemed to reset itself.
Took it into RS Mortorcycles in Woodford, London, plugged in to laptop and error found on ABS at rear but cleared now.

Good guy down there too if ever you're stuck with a problem, mans name is Russell.

Just for info as I’ve not read about this anywhere before so I thought I’d pop this up here . . .

Switched the ABS off the other day before wandering along a wet track and by doing the following, it appears that I reversed the “normal” situation where, having switched off the ABS, it gets “re-enabled” when the ignition is switched off. . . . .

Riding with ABS switched off
Bring bike to a halt whilst still in 1st gear
Put down side stand – engine stops – ABS light still on
With ignition still switched on but engine not running -operated kill switch from run to off position, then back to run – ABS light still on
Side stand up
Start bike whilst still in 1st gear – ABS light still on
Ride bike – ABS light still on = ABS switched off

Next time I stop the bike “normally” and switch it off and then on again using the ignition, ABS light stays on and is not blinking, indicating that the ABS is off! To switch the ABS back on again I held down the ABS switch – ABS light goes out.

Today I went out and reversed what I had done previously:-
Riding with ABS switched on (bike started with ABS light on and not blinking = ABS off. Pressed and held down the ABS switch to switch on the ABS before riding off)
Bring bike to a halt whilst still in 1st gear
Put down side stand – engine stops – ABS light off
With ignition still switched on but engine not running -operated kill switch from run to off position, then back to run – ABS light off
Side stand up
Start bike whilst still in 1st gear – ABS light off
Ride bike – ABS light off = ABS switched on

To check that I had put the bikes ABS back into “normal” mode . . .

Start bike normally (in neutral & side stand up), ABS light flashing.
1st gear, ride short distance – ABS light goes out = ABS on and working.
Stop bike normally. Switch ABS off – ABS light on = ABS off.
Ride short distance with ABS off
Stop bike normally. Switch ABS on– ABS light off = ABS on.

I will stress now that at no time did I actually check that the ABS was either on or off by inducing a skid or a slide, only going by the indications being displayed on the bikes dash as to the condition of the ABS system.

SteveT

:dragon:

Back
Top Bottom