Stupid question I know but........

BTBR

Compulsive tinkerer........!
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
..........quite frankly I haven't got a clue how much money to take and in what currency? Of course it all depends on how much you want to spend on beer, food and duty free etc etc

But even taking that in to account, I am still at a loss?

I am taking my Mastercard and have just received my PIN number so all would not be lost, once I have found a ATM machine of course!!

It just paying for petrol, tolls, food and the one ferry crossing that worries me a little.

Prehaps those with more experiance could offer some help?

Thanks

Alan

Al, Take a couple of hundred quids worth of Euros, use your credit card for all of your petrol and use your bank card for extra cash at the ATMS. If your bankcard has Maestro on it then you can use it most anywhere.

Credit Cards

Don't forget of course to inform your credit card company that you are going to **(fill in various places as required here)**

Otherwise they might notice an irregular usage and put a stop on further transactions (like they did to my brother-in-law - couldn't of happened to a nicer person :D )

OK, so you've been abroad loads of times and never had any bother, but me - I'd rather be safe than sorry and cash / petrol less :)

Just my thoughts, for what they're worth

Lee

Re: Credit Cards

Grumpy Lee said:
Don't forget of course to inform your credit card company that you are going to **(fill in various places as required here)**

Otherwise they might notice an irregular usage and put a stop on further transactions (like they did to my brother-in-law - couldn't of happened to a nicer person :D )

OK, so you've been abroad loads of times and never had any bother, but me - I'd rather be safe than sorry and cash / petrol less :)

Just my thoughts, for what they're worth

Lee

Funny you should mention this, I rang my credit card company just to get a PIN and during the conversation just happened to mention that I was going away and named the places that we will be going to.

"Thats a good job that you mentioned" that said the guy, coz as you quite rightly say Lee, they would put a stop on the card due to irregular usage. He made a note of all the places and the dates but also added that even though it has been logged, it could still be blocked.
So just in case, he then gave me a international 24hr telephone number so that I could get it "unblocked" from security.

Alan

What cash to take........

general concensus (people & bank) is to take US dollars (cash or travellers cheques in small denominations, some Euros and of course your credit cards.

If anyone knows different, kindly let us know.

I went into Thomas Cook travel agents over the weekend and spoke to a very helpful young lady.

Her suggestion was to take a small amount of local currency from each country that does not 'do' Euro's.

So I ordered £20 worth of each currency of whatever Norway, Sweden, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania & Poland have?

Like she said, if you don't spend it, just change it back to GBP when you get home.

To be honest for most cases you can make do with the plastic card, but its nice to have some local currency....just in case.

Plus, lots of Euros, she advised against taking US Dollars, but cannot remember why now, sorry. :confused:

BTBR

well thats very strange cos i went to my bank and asked the currency question this morning and was reccomended to take us dollars for latvia lithuania poland local currency for the rest and a capfull of euros.

bigtrailbikerider said:
So I ordered £20 worth of each currency of whatever Norway, Sweden, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania & Poland have

Not a bad idea.

When we get to the last fuel stop in each country, simply use up the last of your local currency on fuel.

IMHO, US Dollars are a waste of time unless we stray a long way off-route. Those that are prepared to accept them know that they pretty much HAVE to take them to a bank. With Euros there are always people passing through with whom Euros can be traded.

Greg

Another question - insurance

Just checked with my insurers - BMW via Devitt - and they tell me that estonia is not included in the standard list of 'european' countries covered. The same goes for BMW Europe Assist cover.

Can any other TOTers verify if this is true, and if so, what additional arrangements are you making for Estonia?

Cheers

Speggo

Contacted Carol Nash a while ago with the itinerary and they said I was covered for all countries excluding Russia. As we are not going there now thats fine. Also taking out personal cover for the month again from Carol Nash for £37. Could have had a year for a bit more but already have personal insurance unfortunately it excludes motorcycling, seeing it has a hazadous sports. :confused:

Re: Another question - insurance

Speggo said:
Just checked with my insurers - BMW via Devitt - and they tell me that estonia is not included in the standard list of 'european' countries covered.

I'd tell them to check and think again!

Estonia joined the European Union on 1 May 2004. My understanding is that all vehicle insurance sold in the EU must provide at least legal minimum cover required by all other EU countries.

The same doesn't apply to breakdown/recovery insurance, though.

Greg

Re: Another question - insurance

Speggo said:
Just checked with my insurers - BMW via Devitt - and they tell me that estonia is not included in the standard list of 'european' countries covered. The same goes for BMW Europe Assist cover.

Can any other TOTers verify if this is true, and if so, what additional arrangements are you making for Estonia?

Cheers

Speggo

I was told exactly the same by the BMW Underwriters as well a couple of weeks ago when I enquired. Thier only suggestion was to see if you could buy insurance cover at the border. :confused:

I also seem to recall that the E111 form did not apply either, then again the bloke behind the counter at the Post Office did'nt seem to know his arse from his elbow to be honest. :confused:

A big thumbs up to Thomas Cook :thumb

Collected all my money yesterday, just under a week since I ordered it. All bagged up into there own individual bags and all labelled up with the country name and currancy type.

Top service

bigtrailbikerider said:
A big thumbs up to Thomas Cook :thumb

Collected all my money yesterday, just under a week since I ordered it. All bagged up into there own individual bags and all labelled up with the country name and currancy type.

Top service

Quite agree - got mine the day after ordering.

Remember to pay cash for your currency though as the theiving twats of bankers :shoot: will charge you 2 to 3% if you use your card (even debit card) to pay for it.
:mad:

Back
Top Bottom