GPX - Ride magazine routes - BIG FILE

Should be near enough the same on a Mac.

The file comes into downloads.

Simply clicking on it should start BaseCamp automatically. The routes should then all appear. As it's a downloaded file it's sometimes necessary to check the file extension; my Mac seems to add .txt to .gpx I have no idea why. Similarly, in BaseCamp it's often necessary to change the name of the download or it get overwritten by the next download.

I thought it read he was was having trouble installing basecamp and not the actual gpx file download, i may be way off base with my reply then if its the gpx download he is having trouble with, i feel sure he will reply back if a problem persists.

I have no problems with the routes.

Basecamp downloaded to C drive/Program files (x86)/Garmin folder. The execute file is in the downloads folder to initiate the install which download and install the Basecamp files.

However, after the install the program launches ok from the install prompt. If I then close Basecamp and try to open it from the Windows program directory it fails, not able to access Windows registry.

I have deleted the Basecamp files in C drive. Uninstalled it. Updated windows 7, reinstall Basecamp but no changge. I had to unzip the exe file, and start from the Bootstrapper.exe file. Tried install from the BCMAIN.msi file but the result is always the same. I have no GPS device connected to the PC.

All other programs in the (x86) folder starts normally from the program directory.

do you also have map source installed, if not did basecamp installation give you the option where to install, try going to the basecamp install directory that will be something like
C/ program files x86 garmin basecamp open the basecamp folder and find the basecamp icon there is only one, create a shortcut of this and place it on your desktop or toolbar, to create shortcut right click on basecamp icon in the folder and then click create shortcut then drag the shortcut icon to desktop or toolbar and then try it to see if that shortcut opens it ok.

:hijacked:hijacked

While we are on Garmin/sat nav topic............ I'm doing the Five high passes tour this June. I'v just downloaded al the routes and altered them to suit the hotels. On the fourth day, it's the five passes. I've downloaded them, opened them with 'TYRE' and the route in places is showing straight lines across the map..... ie:- not following the roads. I have imported them to Basecamp, and still the same problem.
Anyone know how to force the route to keep to roads, either in Basecamp or TYRE ?

While we are on Garmin/sat nav topic............ I'm doing the Five high passes tour this June. I'v just downloaded al the routes and altered them to suit the hotels. On the fourth day, it's the five passes. I've downloaded them, opened them with 'TYRE' and the route in places is showing straight lines across the map..... ie:- not following the roads. I have imported them to Basecamp, and still the same problem.
Anyone know how to force the route to keep to roads, either in Basecamp or TYRE ?

Tyre uses google maps and google will not allow a route to follow a road if it knows the road is closed for the winter / snow / work.

not sure about tyre, but using basecamp and mapsource when you have just straight lines you need to recalculate route and then alter the route after that to suit. hope this helps

Sorry, you are right. This is best asked in the nav section. Already tried that but I'll check on the mapsource.

not sure about tyre, but using basecamp and mapsource when you have just straight lines you need to recalculate route and then alter the route after that to suit. hope this helps

I have recalculated the route in both TYRE and BASECAMP.............. Nothing changes. Weird.

It also seems that RIDES figure of eight five passes route does not make sense in the way it takes you around the route...........

There can be a whole bunch of reasons why a bod might get straight lines between points, as opposed to lines following roads precisely.

As to why the figure of 8 route around the mountain passes appears illogical? God only knows, but I'll start by guessing it was badly created (or amended) at some point in its life. Check it and then alter it to suit the way YOU want it to go. That's the simple rule for working with any third party's route anyone might receive.

Can you give us the exact route(s) you are talking about please, so that we can hopefully see what it / they looks like and maybe start to help you.

I cant see a problem with that route, unless your version has somehow been recalculated by mapsource or base camp, if you double click the route once its in mapsource or base camp and view the route properties then directions it should read as below and if you follow the points it makes a perfect figure 8. make sure you are viewing the exact route and not one it may be overlaying.
Directions for Swiss 5 Pass Figure of Eight

1. Hof Und Post2
2. Clockwise 1
3. Andermatt coffee
4. Clockwise 2
5. All'acqua1
6. Clockwise 3
7. Tremola
8. Clockwise 4
9. Coffee Furka Belvedere
10. Clockwise 5
11. Hof Und Post2

Wapping....... This is the offending article. It may be just me being a bit dense, as I've never had problems with RIDE'S routes before. Or organising routes/trips from scratch.

Your input is appreciated.

http://goo.gl/maps/h2UFt

And thanks to other contributors too.

your downloaded gpx file should look like this this is that exact route when opend in base camp. that map in google is wrong. possibly due to road closures,

Attachments

• 17-01-2016 12-31-51.jpg
    17-01-2016 12-31-51.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 516
Just a quick reminder that the actual downloaded route from rides site for the 5 pass, has two routes in it one is reversed from the other.

Wapping....... This is the offending article. It may be just me being a bit dense, as I've never had problems with RIDE'S routes before. Or organising routes/trips from scratch.

Google maps takes into account roads that are closed during winter. Therefore it is not possible to get accurate routes for summer months. I think Tyre might solve that problem but even after doing the route in Tyre you will have to double check it in Basecamp or Mapsource. The logarithms are different between the various nav tools.

There are two possible explanations for that bizzare Google Maps link. One is, as has been pointed out, Google Maps detecting which roads are currently closed and providing alternative routing; the other is that since the last update, it's broken many of the links for routes we'd posted using the earlier edition of Google Maps. The new version allows fewer deviation points to create routes; more frustratingly, it throws out half the points in previously generated routes. The GPX files - as the preview posted by Leedude03 (thanks Lee) - still work normally though.

There are two possible explanations for that bizzare Google Maps link. One is, as has been pointed out, Google Maps detecting which roads are currently closed and providing alternative routing; the other is that since the last update, it's broken many of the links for routes we'd posted using the earlier edition of Google Maps. The new version allows fewer deviation points to create routes; more frustratingly, it throws out half the points in previously generated routes. The GPX files - as the preview posted by Leedude03 (thanks Lee) - still work normally though.

Simon i never gave the new google maps change a thought, good answer, well Gargy there ya go a few possible answers to the question.

I think Simon W has it solved.

I / we see lots of problems when routes get flipped between bods, run on assorted bits of software and devices with vaious different preferences (or pre-conditions) built in and many with entirely different mapping. I am just looking at a very good suggested route, downloaded from a German magazine's website. It is displayed on my modern Mac in BaseCamp as a series of straight lines between a myriad of shaping or waypoints, rendering it impossible for my Navigator V to follow properly. It was a five to 10 minute job for me to pull it into shape, delete the waypoints and save it as something suitable for my GPS device to deal with.

I think Simon W has it solved.
it impossible for my Navigator V to follow properly. It was a five to 10 minute job for me to pull it into shape, delete the waypoints and save it as something suitable for my GPS device to deal with.

Impossible for the Navigator, took me five to 10mins to sort ! Like that one ;)

Ride magazine routes for europe updated Mk 11 version 2016

All done in one big file , there are a couple missing but the google routes are there for those that wish to copy/trace them.
My dropbox link to the .gdb file that will work in mapsource or basecamp. it may take longer than usual to load, there are 1168 waypoints and 334 routes.
There may be the odd one twice i have not checked it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i4o4nru5393vk9h/ride europe mk 2.gdb?dl=0

Paul, Lee

You'll see that I deleted your posts relating to what was an erroneous link in post #39

I did this only because I cut and pasted Lee's correction into post #39, bringing everything back on track.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom