Germany calling....

Nice one Richard Thanks for the step by step guide. I notice the map info shows slightly different when using mac ref the download link.

I guess that’s just the way an IPad processes and displays it, giving the owner a choice of what they want to do next with the downloaded file? On my Mac the download just whizzes off up the screen to downloads. I have no idea how these things work, I am just pleased that they do. Now that I have got used to a Mac and using a big iPad, nothing would drag me back to Microsoft.

Opening the routes in Google Earth crashed my big iPad (it just switched to the home screen, so not terminal) as I guess it had to process lots of information. A second or third go saw it opening up OK. That’s the great thing about Apple and iPads, they are very hard to break.... unless you stand on one.

One possible tip.

I haven’t tried downloading any of the routes into BaseCamp via a Mac but, if you get a choice, I’d suggest downloading anything as a track and working from there. Some odd things can happen if you download a route (as opposed to a track) even if you then drag it around, alter it and and save it.

if downloading using a windows pc, and you have chosen the .kml file, and you then use one of the online converters to convert to .gpx and then save the resulting .gpx file, if you then use basecamp to open the file you will be greeted with a load of numbered waypoints in order from start to finish, all you need to do then is highlight all of them and use the handy function in basecamp that says create route from selected waypoints (right click on highlighted waypoints), it will then create a route that should be the same as the one viewed on the map.
hope this helps

Site with some good routes to tour Germany here:

http://www.road-concept.eu/uebersicht-msd

Click on links for good quality pdf route maps

Thanks for that.

Advice to anyone: Copy the PDF’s now, as sometimes the websites are closed or moved, rendering old hot links redundant. The PDF’s copy really easily into iBooks.

I have expanded on this through a separate thread:

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/506370-A-useful-set-of-ideas-for-touring-Germany

Just a bump up for this thread, which may well give some ready made suggestions for bods’ 2021 holidays, if we ever get any.

Back
Top Bottom