Locking sat nav mount on the XR

Nutty

Reaction score
If you have an XR and want a locking sat nav, you can buy all the parts from BMW for around £40, then don't have to worry about some toe rag nicking your nav when you park up somewhere.

The only slight issue (and why BMW didn't fit one in the factory), is that you have to rotate the whole unit up, whenever you want to remove the nav. This isn't a major issue, and is made easier if you have the emergency wallet key, as you won't have to rotate the unit as much.:thumb

If you want a list of part numbers, let me know, but here are some pictures of the parts, and the fitted product.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    51.3 KB · Views: 4,425
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 4,172
Does that mean the brackets need loosening so you can 'rotate', presumably u can't get the key in otherwise?

Wonder if Touratech will do a locking mount for it.

Does that mean the brackets need loosening so you can 'rotate', presumably u can't get the key in otherwise?

Wonder if Touratech will do a locking mount for it.

Nope, keep them tight, and there will be a bit of rotation. The standard bracket will rotate slightly, no matter how tight you do the bolts up; it's designed to.

Touratch do a locking mount, but you need a seperate key. The BMW mount is cheaper, and you have one key.

Nope, keep them tight, and there will be a bit of rotation. The standard bracket will rotate slightly, no matter how tight you do the bolts up; it's designed to.

Touratch do a locking mount, but you need a seperate key. The BMW mount is cheaper, and you have one key.

Cheers, seems a pretty much essential mod, after the akrapovic of course :D:thumb2

If you have an XR and want a locking sat nav, you can buy all the parts from BMW for around £40, then don't have to worry about some toe rag nicking your nav when you park up somewhere.

The only slight issue (and why BMW didn't fit one in the factory), is that you have to rotate the whole unit up, whenever you want to remove the nav. This isn't a major issue, and is made easier if you have the emergency wallet key, as you won't have to rotate the unit as much.:thumb

If you want a list of part numbers, let me know, but here are some pictures of the parts, and the fitted product.

Hi Nutty
Can you please send the list of part numbers to me t.benjafield@btinternet.com looking at the parts do you just remove the part you get originally and then fit the locking part and then replace the original mount in to it. I all ready have a spare lock so I guess I just need the housing and some bolts etc

Thanks Terry

Locking sat NAV parts

Hi Nutty
Can you please send the list of part numbers to me t.benjafield@btinternet.com looking at the parts do you just remove the part you get originally and then fit the locking part and then replace the original mount in to it. I all ready have a spare lock so I guess I just need the housing and some bolts etc

Thanks Terry

Here you go, this is what you need:

65 90 8524463 -- 1 Cover for GPS preparations
34 31 7707371 -- 1 Tandem clamp
65 90 8524456 -- 1 Bracket lock, navigation system prep
65 90 8524466 -- 1 Cover for lock, GPS Prep
65 90 8524472 -- 1 Slider for GPS preparations
51 25 7698204 -- 1 Rep.kit f lock cylinder
65 90 8524462 -- 1 Baseplate for GPS preparations
65 90 8524465 -- 1 Bracket lock, navigation system prep
64 11 8368728 -- 4 Screw
65 90 8525238 -- 1 Backing plate

When you fit it, you won't need the original plate that the non locking mount fitted to, so put this to one side. I used some tape to hold the bolts in the backing plate so they didn't fall out, but I'd advise anyone doing this to put a big towel under the mount, as there are small parts that may fall out when you undo everything.

If anyone needs any more info, just let me know.:thumb

So with those parts you can turn a standard 660 mount into a locking mount for a nav 5 ? Am I reading that right?

So with those parts you can turn a standard 660 mount into a locking mount for a nav 5 ? Am I reading that right?

I'm not sure about the 660, but if the basic mount looks the same as in the picture, I don't see why not.:thumb

Cheers, seems a pretty much essential mod, after the akrapovic of course :D:thumb2

Guys my full akro goes on a week next Tuesday - first one in the country to by dynojetted and fitted with a Power Commander.

Will let you know how I get on..............

Btw great post Nuts, very helpful and informative.

:thumb2

Well, to be serious, the guy fitting it is the guy who trains all the other dynojet tuners, does a lot of work for the race teams and is listed as 'dynojet UK HQ' with all the new stuff from the states coming in via this location. It's his opinion that with free flowing zorsts it exacerbates the lean running and possibility of damage to engines (remember lean running scooter engines that used to melt?) without proper fuelling so for me the retuning is a must (and I respect everyone who doesn't want to do that) and also to get max performance from the system. As far as being the first I'm am led to believe that the kit arrived from the states last week and I'm the first to have it fitted and mapped. So, nuts mate, to answer your question I don't know for sure but I believe so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guys my full akro goes on a week next Tuesday - first one in the country to by dynojetted and fitted with a Power Commander.

Will let you know how I get on..............

Btw great post Nuts, very helpful and informative.

:thumb2

Looking forward to a review, why the dynojet is that on recommendation?

no k&n filter?

Yes from a guy who isn't a dick (unlike me) who has known this tuner for a couple of decades. And no, no KN filter - all I have to do seemingly is keep the stock zorst on so that it can be mapped then remapped for the PC and I'll post the results for the lads. I personally prefer the PC as it can be unplugged unlike a remap of the ecu itself. Personal preference I guess

Well, to be serious, the guy fitting it is the guy who trains all the other dynojet tuners, does a lot of work for the race teams and is listed as 'dynojet UK HQ' with all the new stuff from the states coming in via this location. It's his opinion that with free flowing zorsts it exacerbates the lean running and possibility of damage to engines (remember lean running scooter engines that used to melt?) without proper fuelling so for me the retuning is a must (and I respect everyone who doesn't want to do that) and also to get max performance from the system. As far as being the first I'm am led to believe that the kit arrived from the states last week and I'm the first to have it fitted and mapped. So, nuts mate, to answer your question I don't know for sure but I believe so

I'm pretty sure someone on the XR forum had had his done. Also, speaking to the chaps at Bahnstormer a few weeks ago, they've sent a couple of XR owners to a local company that does Dynojet/ power commanders.

Mmmmmm ok mate I'm only going by what I've been told - let's hope it's the pukker job for them

Mmmmmm ok mate I'm only going by what I've been told - let's hope it's the pukker job for them

One of the blokes has also been to Hilltop, and fitted a full Arrow system. 165bhp at the rear wheel, which I thought was low, so I've asked for some more info on the differences since the remap.

Back
Top Bottom