Ok tell me about your Yamaha T Max experience

Robbo1200ADV

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
With so many threads about our other bikes do any of you beautiful people have a T Max ?

I have had them since launched , 6 in total , and love them
The mk 1 was the first obviously, single front disc carb'd
Mk 2 EFI twin front disc , very nice had 3 of them
The Mk 3 was better more sporty , bigger wheels but kept to the oil double chain rear drive 2 of them
Then finally the 530 EFI which I currently have which is mint , belt drive and 115 mph on an autobahn
Love these bikes , great companion to a GS , I do 8000 miles on it every year , that's a service and a pair of tyres twice a year
I know we ingerlish don't really get maxi scoots but feck they are brilliant.
Interested to hear from fellow fans
I know maxi muppets is the forum of choice , just wanted to open it up a bit

At what mileage are you changing them and why?

I'm considering options for my commute, which in the winter includes very shitty and bumpy back lanes, do they wear the build up of crud well?

I've had one since last June and never looked back. Ran a Piaggio Xevo 400 for a year which was a good commuter but lacked the fun factor. I took a Tmax demo out and immediately bought one. It handles well on any surface (not trails though!). I use it for commuting, local runs in the Peak District and the odd run to Scotland and Belgium which it is equally at home doing. The riding position is comfy, it handles well and has enough power/torque for what I use it for.
You hear the odd comment from other 'real bikers' which amuse me more than bother me. I just put it down to a lack of education or their own insecurity 😊.
All in all it's a great bike and more often than not I'll reach for the Tmax for most of my ride outs; much to the disgust of my other awesome steeds☺.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

At what mileage are you changing them and why?

I'm considering options for my commute, which in the winter includes very shitty and bumpy back lanes, do they wear the build up of crud well?

I usually keep them for 20000 miles , they stand up to shite weather pretty well , as with anything a bit of acf 50 helps
12000 and 24000 mile services can be steep,as the belt and 4 filters need changing .Tyres last me 6000 miles before they "go off"
Other than that it just stick fuel in and twist and go .A very usable bike .Areas of corrosion seem to be the centre stand and that's it ! Hose the radiator occasionally as it can get crud there if you don't .Cam chain tensioner can go on the early bikes. Fuel pumps can fail, again early bikes .The 530 I have is I think the best of the lot , the belt final drive makes acceleration brisker , though the previous twin chain in oil bath final drive is probably more robust and maintainance free .

With so many threads about our other bikes do any of you beautiful people have a T Max ?

I have had them since launched , 6 in total , and love them
The mk 1 was the first obviously, single front disc carb'd
Mk 2 EFI twin front disc , very nice had 3 of them
The Mk 3 was better more sporty , bigger wheels but kept to the oil double chain rear drive 2 of them
Then finally the 530 EFI which I currently have which is mint , belt drive and 115 mph on an autobahn
Love these bikes , great companion to a GS , I do 8000 miles on it every year , that's a service and a pair of tyres twice a year
I know we ingerlish don't really get maxi scoots but feck they are brilliant.
Interested to hear from fellow fans
I know maxi muppets is the forum of choice , just wanted to open it up a bit

I've got a mk2 and a mk3, and have just ordered a mk4 (leftover non-abs model). Do you have a rack on your mk4, and if so is it the Yamaha rack, or the Givi? Any chance of a pic?

Very interesting thread. Dont knock it till yerve tried one eh. Maybe time to havago
Thanks for an idea :thumby:

I can see a T Max sometime in my future :cool:

They really are the best thing for urban transport IMHO. Great fun to ride. Never had a mk1 but the twin disc and parking brake on the mk2 makes it a better choice; mk2 to mk3 seems just to be styling changes. (happy to be corrected on this by Robbo though, he's had way more than me!). Mk4 is the 530 engine and belt final drive; looking forward to this. Mk5 is abs, usd forks, keyless. I'd have liked abs on my mk4 but mine is an old-stock 2014 model, before abs was an option.

Commuted into the city for 16 1/2 years which will come to an end on the 20th May as the building is shutting down :(. Used everything from a 1198 duke to a 125 scoot including several GS's. The scoots are the best , most practical and great for winter.
I have had Suzuki 125 Burger, 4 x 400's and am on my 6th 650 Burger, Yam 250 Majesty and 4 T max's, Vespa 300, tried a Honda PCX 125 but too small and 2500 mile servicing is a non starter that a service every month :eek:. Even had the monster of all scoots Aprilia SRV850, totally impractical but feck me it flew.

Loved the T max which is a ride on style scoot and the maintenance (which I prefer to do myself) is a bit complex and that's and the price are the only down sides, not ridden a 530 but will do at some stage.

There are 3 basic styles of scoot ride in, ride on and knees together, knees together are Vespa's etc the classic scoot style which I struggled with a bit, very light and fun though.
Ride in are big maxi's Burgmans, Silverwings etc.
Ride on's are Tmax's, SRV style scoots which can feel "tall" after riding a Burger etc.

Scoots are great and the people who don't "get" them haven't tried them generally , only down side is the price which is getting a bit silly now.

I will be selling mine soon either cos a need the coin as I haven't got a job or upgrading if I have :D :thumb2

I've got a mk2 and a mk3, and have just ordered a mk4 (leftover non-abs model). Do you have a rack on your mk4, and if so is it the Yamaha rack, or the Givi? Any chance of a pic?

Sorry , no rack fitted , I don't need that amount of storage, all my gear fits under the seat . Had one on the Mk 2 a Yamaha one , but never really used the top box on it . You can get a case of wine under the seat:beerjug:

my bike broke down once, and i had a camping trip organised in yorkshire, so hired one for the weekend. It was pretty good to be be honest. Comfy, plenty of power and fine on the motorway.

Hello Robbo

Ive had a Mk1 for a 18 months now, always liked the small scooters like the gilera runner etc and have had a a new 180 and then got a 125 which I tuned the fuck out of, Taffspeed are in Newport where I am so it had to be done, now around town that was the best 2 wheeler I have ever had,had a clear out at the time because I had to build a new garage and space and time was limited and it went.

Always liked the Tmax so went and got the current one, silver in Colour, 20kup it,
Ive put a Jcosta variator on it and full mivv carbon exhaust. the variator is one thing everyone should do.
good tyres are £90 a pair of net, oil change is a piece of piss.

Its too quick for the chassis, ive seen 115 on the clock,out in the sticks on the fast roads you find yourself going into corners and then you know yr on small wheels, scraping the underside is easy.

Love the feeling of launching it of the lights and leaving everything behind and doing the big bikes in the bends it gives me a grin going past them in a fast corner.

Id say you can use them as a main ride as they are certainately suitable and capable for it,but the handling isn,t good enough for the speed avaliable on my mk1 at least.

I will be keeping it though as a town or commutor vehicle they are unbeatable.

The old farts ride the Burgervan,
The young guns ride the Tmax is how I would sum it up.

Ive got a tall screen for a Mk1-2 if anyone needs one btw.
12642993_10207407525860695_8608009046261055556_n.jpg

I have just aqquired a low mileage one owner mk11 (2400 miles by one elderly owner) that hadn't turned a wheel in four years. Charged the battery and immediately fired into life. Changed oil/filter and fresh mot and we're good to go. I had a Silverwing before as I wanted to try a superscoot and was I impressed? Very, is the honest answer. My only slight criticism of the tmax is the screen is on my eye level. What screen would you recommend as a lower alternative. Don't really want to lose the wind protection if possible but I know the shorter ones smarten up the looks a lot. Can't understand why people knock these without trying them. I am very lucky to have access to sixty plus motorcycles and this is usually one of my first choices.. Want to test ride the 530 and the BMW 650 sport. They are quite addictive. Twist and go? You bet..

Having commuted on my MkII for six years I would endorse everything above, but would add a Termoscud (shite bag) as an essential. Looks hideous, but keeps the weather out like nothing else ;)

It's just been sold on eBay for half what I paid for it too, so they do hold their value extremely well. It had been dropped on both sides, wasn't an undamaged panel on it and it still went for good money :D

Just reminded me; I've got a Jcosta variator in the garage somewhere that I never got around to fitting :blast

I have just aqquired a low mileage one owner mk11 (2400 miles by one elderly owner) that hadn't turned a wheel in four years. Charged the battery and immediately fired into life. Changed oil/filter and fresh mot and we're good to go. I had a Silverwing before as I wanted to try a superscoot and was I impressed? Very, is the honest answer. My only slight criticism of the tmax is the screen is on my eye level. What screen would you recommend as a lower alternative. Don't really want to lose the wind protection if possible but I know the shorter ones smarten up the looks a lot. Can't understand why people knock these without trying them. I am very lucky to have access to sixty plus motorcycles and this is usually one of my first choices.. Want to test ride the 530 and the BMW 650 sport. They are quite addictive. Twist and go? You bet..

The Yamaha original Sport smoked screen is better for buffeting . On the Mk 4 I have a Puig screen in black . V Cool and less buffeting

Hello Robbo

Ive had a Mk1 for a 18 months now, always liked the small scooters like the gilera runner etc and have had a a new 180 and then got a 125 which I tuned the fuck out of, Taffspeed are in Newport where I am so it had to be done, now around town that was the best 2 wheeler I have ever had,had a clear out at the time because I had to build a new garage and space and time was limited and it went.

Always liked the Tmax so went and got the current one, silver in Colour, 20kup it,
Ive put a Jcosta variator on it and full mivv carbon exhaust. the variator is one thing everyone should do.
good tyres are £90 a pair of net, oil change is a piece of piss.

Its too quick for the chassis, ive seen 115 on the clock,out in the sticks on the fast roads you find yourself going into corners and then you know yr on small wheels, scraping the underside is easy.

Love the feeling of launching it of the lights and leaving everything behind and doing the big bikes in the bends it gives me a grin going past them in a fast corner.

Id say you can use them as a main ride as they are certainately suitable and capable for it,but the handling isn,t good enough for the speed avaliable on my mk1 at least.

I will be keeping it though as a town or commutor vehicle they are unbeatable.

The old farts ride the Burgervan,
The young guns ride the Tmax is how I would sum it up.

Ive got a tall screen for a Mk1-2 if anyone needs one btw.
View attachment 307501

Very Nice . Had one of those New . Like you I'd had SP180 Runners , loved them . Thanks for posting

Just to be different Ive got a silverwing. Superscoots are brilliant, as everyone above says the doubters aint rode one :)

Anybody ordered a 2017 TMAX DX yet ?

Looks rather nice,but not cheap !

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_NqR9Wr8bBM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3c4n0Oux6BE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5c93ad3c5b17178e7aa7d2744b84e6d5.jpg

But £12.5k when specced up with Akra,comfort seat,luggage etc !!!

Back
Top Bottom