R65 recommissioning

Gyp

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
This isn't likely to be a brisk set of updates, but this is a reminder to myself that I really need to get the R65 back in the road again.

I got the R80RT mono back on the road last year and loved it so now it's the turn of the R65.

I'm hoping that that all that's needed is

1. darned good clean
2. carb & fuel tap rebuild
3. petrol tank sealant
4. new tyres and tubes
5. front brake rebuild
6. battery
7. full 10k service

But there's bound to be more

For now though, I've put it up on the ramp

2016-01-31%2012.56.15.jpg

2016-01-31%2012.56.23.jpg

Sweet, I shall be watching with interest, looks like a relatively easy refresh............does that tax disc say 1982 (last time it was on the road) or do my eyes deceive me?

You don't see many proper RS conversions......looks a nice bike :thumb2

The RS conversion was done with new parts by (then) BMW dealer SPC Superbikes before I got hold of it way back when.

It's the later light crank version with twin (yay) ATE (boo) callipers, and to get it nice and smooth I had the crankshaft dynamically balanced which made quite a bit of a difference.

Lovely bike with a mere 18,000 miles on it. Hopefully it'll be running again soon

Old photo...no one has an L reg Rover on their path these days ! :D

Slightly old. Well, the weekend before last anyway.

But it is indeed an L reg Rover :)

214SEi, not many more miles than the R65. That was last year's recommissioning job. 2 wipers and an Italian decoke.

Well, as I suppose I should have expected, I made virtually no progress at all, however with the addition of fresh fuel and a battery it fired up and is now in a workshop for a bit of love with the intention that it be back on the road next April (when it no longer needs either and MOT or VED)

PGQMQ5I.jpg

That's nice - from here it look like a fill the tank, get out the scotch pads on the alloy and put the brakes back on it to recommission ;)

That's nice - from here it look like a fill the tank, get out the scotch pads on the alloy and put the brakes back on it to recommission ;)

That's not far off to be honest. Most of the finishes are in better condition than on my R80 which is running about quite happily.

Definitely needs the front brakes sorting, new cables, tyres/tubes and a carb clean but that's basically it. I'm minded to replace the ATE callipers with contemporaneous Brembos, as I've been meaning to do that for about 30 years and not got round to it (and have a couple of spare sets of Brembo pads kicking about)

That's not far off to be honest. Most of the finishes are in better condition than on my R80 which is running about quite happily.

Definitely needs the front brakes sorting, new cables, tyres/tubes and a carb clean but that's basically it. I'm minded to replace the ATE callipers with contemporaneous Brembos, as I've been meaning to do that for about 30 years and not got round to it (and have a couple of spare sets of Brembo pads kicking about)

Morning Gyp , did you catch the “Motorcycle show “ last night. It was the Haynes museum episode and he visited Norton. Good review and telling that it sounds like he was caught up in the old business failure as a customer! .

The new CEO seems really driven and like a younger version of Siddarha Lal of RE :)

Morning Gyp , did you catch the “Motorcycle show “ last night. It was the Haynes museum episode and he visited Norton. Good review and telling that it sounds like he was caught up in the old business failure as a customer! .

The new CEO seems really driven and like a younger version of Siddarha Lal of RE :)

I did - the show is on several times in the week and the next episode is on at 11pm tonight. But probably also last night and tomorrow night. Apparently, despite there being no mention of Norton on the programme guide, there's a bit more from the Henry Cole visit on this episode too.

The new CEO is Robert Hentschel, who seems pretty switched on. The chap on the screen in the last episode was Christian Gladwell, the COO, who seems determined to turn Norton into a "luxury brand". I'm hoping the enthusiasm translates into sales!

Anyway, the other hope is that the R65 above will be sorted and parked in the Norton car park next April (the target for the recommissioning as that's the point when it no longer needs VED)

The OE dual Brembos are nothing to shout about. Not quite like berthing a containership, but some forward planning is required.

If you mean later multi pot types than don't do it! (you will make me jealous :green gri )

The OE dual Brembos are nothing to shout about. Not quite like berthing a containership, but some forward planning is required.

If you mean later multi pot types than don't do it! (you will make me jealous :green gri )

I've got the OE Brembos on my R80RT, so I am familiar with their limitations.

Back
Top Bottom