Hayabusa - Any owners on here ???

Pukmeister

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm thinking of chopping in my old R1 next year for something less uncomfortable, and with more of a real world sport-touring focus.

Having a shedload of grunt is addictive, but less of a hunch over the tank/reach to the bars would be nice to have in my old age. I've always regarded the 'Busa as a bit of "my bike is fastest" cock-waving but thats probably the wrong attitude having never ridden one. I dare say they are probably better than I expect them to be.

Has anyone on here owned one and loved it / hated it / got bored with it ??

Are they any use for touring, or would an FJR be a better bet? I don't want a Blackbird or a similar engined BMW ( my GSA is a keeper though).

Thanks in advance

I owned one for 11 years.. 51 plate.. :) great two up bike.. pulls like a train even from a ton.. dropped the pegs an inch helps with comfort .. and though I never bothered, rasing the bars an inch is a real improvement. Very uncomfortable riding it slow, on a hot day in traffic is murder.. :) I loved it.. upgraded the shit brakes with triumph 4 pot calapers.. Avon tyres lasted about 4k miles .. chain and sprockets lasted 26k miles.
I changed for a gs because after 11 years fancied a change.. everything wants to race you .. just couldn't go out for a bimble.. just ended up flatout.. :) was worried that after 11 years of screaming about my luck would run out. :-/
Never riden an fjr but I expect they make a more comfortable tourer.. but for character.. fun .. excitement just don't think you'll beat the busa.. and so I'm told the 2nd generation hayabusa is even better.. :)
Clive.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

good fun in small doses, got a 2001 unrestricted version, slightly psychotic but you get a real pleasure from feeling like you're taming a beast.. in reality it just wants to pull the skin off your face. as already mentioned the default callipers are shite when they're in good nick and as much use as putting your feet down when 1 pot is seized (which is often). .

Thought it was the quickest thing id ever ride, then had a BMW 1000RR out for a few days while my gs was being cared for.. made the busa feel like it was dragging a caravan!

i keep it cause its fun, in a sort of weird derranged fun, couldn't live with it as my only bike.

I had a K8 when I lived in Germany. It had countless laps of the Ring at weekends then a spin home via the autobahns of course. A truly epic engine and fairly comfy too. I took a few trips home to NI on it and it coped superbly.

It's a bit wasted in the congested and bumpy roads of the UK

Thanks for the replies.

Nothing there that puts me off owning one, six pots are garbage but they would be number one on the upgrade list. I fancy a second generation bike if funds would allow, maybe a black framed stealth model.

Decent tank range, effortless grunt and a modicum of comfort would be nice for a European jaunt (the old GSA is a good tourer but she isn't exactly smooth or effortless). Two up touring isn't a problem as Mrs P doesn't do motorcycles and soft luggage would suffice.

Have you ever considered the B-King, same motor but with sit up and beg comfort.

No I haven't, I always thought that it looked pretty ugly/clumsy, like a parts bin special.

I'll take a look.

Had 2 early Busas and a K8, tried to get a B King but the prices are firm and have started to rise a bit.
Early Busa's are great with the exception of the calipers, I also did the Triumph upgrade. Finding an early one that hasn't been messed with will be a challenge :D

also consider the zzr1400, had a new 09 and probably one of the best bikes I have ever owned, best brakes of any bike I've had, I stuck Givi rails on and did Scotland after a whole day round the Dales with a load of scoots never going above 45 mph all day, super comfy. Stick a pillion on and don't notice, suspension or power wise. Good on fuel for the power/engine and they do not hold their value so a mint 2nd hand one can be had for a very reasonable price.
I will one day have another, came close end of last year on a new green one @£10500 but the p/x offer was a joke :(

good hunting :thumb2

Had a Y2K since err Y2K.

Was my main squeeze for years.

Handles well enough (better than it should) and is a very capable long distance machine tho' tougher on the old bod as the years rolled by.

Gradually modded over the years to improve luggage toting capability, reduce on-road tweaking and improve comfort:

-Krauser racks and 3 box set
-scottoiler
-bendix supersports pads and a good caliper overhaul every few years make the brakes OK (tho' never astounding tbh)
-ubiquitous hugger
-ART cans
-aftermarket seats (more for show my arse was possibly the very last thing to start hurting)
-mirror extenders
-high bar conversion and modified screen
-buell footpegs
-one or two other bits and bobs I've forgotten

It'll tootle around like a pussycat, like a well oiled barrel of suzuki bolts, usual great snickety snick gearbox and takes of like the hand of God is pushing you when circumstances dictate.

150-160 hp for a good Mk1 is no great number nowadays but the way the power is delivered with those cubes is really something special even nowadays IMHO.

Watch out for the usual 4 cylinder vibes smack in the middle of a couple of legal cruising speed points and either ride around them or fiddle with your gearing (endless fun to be had here:augie).

A properly great bike.

Mk2 more power and more sophistication, better standard brakes etc frankly a good example of either will put a smile of your face.

I love the dashboard on the 'Busa, and lusted after one when they first came out in 99.

17990Hayabusa_Instrument.jpg

Finally got around to trying a demo one a few years ago, but found the seating position (particularly legs) quite cramped, and the engine not that characterful at sane speeds.

They seemed to be a popular choice for the local IAM group but I realised they were mostly short-arses that owned them. Have a look on here and you will see its not massively different from the R1 in terms of riding position. http://cycle-ergo.com/

RBW.

Return to UK next week gonna kick the old girls tyres, Avon Storms I think, err MOT it, fire it up 🙏 or perhaps the other way around and head straight back across here, been meaning to let her rip once more for a while and as I'm sans contract next week I fancy a bit of big Japanese 4 action again. I can't be arsed selling anyway as it's not worth much and shows no sign of getting any more desirable this side of my OAP. Still, £6,999 new 18 years ago, who bloody cares.

We ran a 1999 'Busa, followed it up with a ZZR14, then back to a K8 'Busa. Great bikes, amazing grunt everywhere, but they are ballistic & potential licence busters. We moved to an early K16, which was sadly unreliable & now run an FJR1300AE/ES - a better tourer than the 'Busa, reliable but old school in todays market, & hardly 'sport' oriented.

Neither a Haybusa or a ZZR14 will disappoint - everyone deserves the opportunity to run one for a while. They are still in the bargain basement too.

We ran a 1999 'Busa, followed it up with a ZZR14, then back to a K8 'Busa. Great bikes, amazing grunt everywhere, but they are ballistic & potential licence busters. We moved to an early K16, which was sadly unreliable & now run an FJR1300AE/ES - a better tourer than the 'Busa, reliable but old school in todays market, & hardly 'sport' oriented.

Neither a Haybusa or a ZZR14 will disappoint - everyone deserves the opportunity to run one for a while. They are still in the bargain basement too.

Are you conjoined twins or sumfink ?
Or do you always talk in the plural ?

Are you conjoined twins or sumfink ?
Or do you always talk in the plural ?

Don't worry, we aren't Royalty either - just been biking, along with 'her indoors' for more years than I care to remember. So biking is a we thing, a shared hobby, & long may it continue hopefully.

+1 for the ZZR, although you'd have to do something about the exhausts on the newer ones which are the size of a 3 bed semi :barf

This is my third ive had this one for about 10 years its got extended swing arm from big boyz toyz big alloys 300 rear tyre Ray Jay behind the fairing turbo,straight bar conversion lowered front and much more owes me a bloody fortune but I love it

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_1210.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1210.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 282
  • thumbnail_IMG_1211.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1211.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 261
  • thumbnail_IMG_1216.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1216.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 242
  • thumbnail_IMG_1217.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1217.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 279
This is my third ive had this one for about 10 years its got extended swing arm from big boyz toyz big alloys 300 rear tyre Ray Jay behind the fairing turbo,straight bar conversion lowered front and much more owes me a bloody fortune but I love it

That's tidy; what's it run at the strip?:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom