REPAIR - Look here first - REPAIR

A couple of weeks ago I went to install some routes for a weekend away on my Zumo 340LM but upon hooking the unit up to my laptop Garmin Express informed me that I had a few updates so I started the process. The update failed at about 80% so I detached the unit from the laptop, re-attached it and tried again but at eighty-odd percent it failed again. Trouble was that the unit was effectively bricked. All the user data was gone, the unit was not recognised by my computer (I tried with several different laptops with different leads) and when I went into the map section of the gps I could see that no maps were installed.

Several telephone calls to Garmin later I was left with the option of taking a 30% discount on a new gps as the 340 is no longer supported or buying a used unit from this site. My good friend Ash reckoned that I should take the used unit option as he had never heard of anyone offering a repair service for Garmin gps units. Luckily my mate Trev lent me a Zumo 550 for our weekend away which solved my immediate problem, but I still needed to sort out a unit for myself.

Upon searching the site here I discovered this thread and sent off a repair quote to Sat Nav Repairs who were very quick to get back to me offering a repair solution for £39.99 with a promise of "no fix - no fee". I had to cover the postage to them and I also had to add £8 to the repair quote to cover the return postage. The unit was posted last Monday 21/09 and was with them the next day. Then on Sunday 27/09 they contacted me to say that the gps was fixed and ready to go so I PayPall-ed them £47.99 and the parcel arrived via DHL today.

The 340LM is as good as new, with the latest mapping installed and I have loaded some routes for this coming weekend without any issues at all. No problem with my laptop or Garmin Express seeing the unit. I am very satisfied with the service provided by Sat Nav Repairs and have no hesitation in recommending them to any of you who finds themselves in the same dilemma as I faced. They have also given a 90 day warranty on the repair which is reassuring.

Finally, thanks to Jersey GS for starting this thread. :thumb2

Hey Aidan1150 I have just come across this, good write up of your experience and really pleased all went well :thumb

Edit; I started it Wapping made it a Sticky

Peterborough is the UK address shown on the website, along with one in Belgium. I guess most UK bods would chose the UK address, if for no other reason than their deep distrust of foreigners.

I had a dodgy connector last year on my Nav V1 my fault using a 2 wire lead to try and download routes it needs a 4 lead cable I'd been wiggling it and messed it up.He gave me a time to go to his house and did it while I waited no repair no fee .He had several screens he'd replaced he advised to keep the sun off them if you can and suggested they weren't very waterproof..
Great guy great service sat and watched him fix it.

I had a dodgy connector last year on my Nav V1 my fault using a 2 wire lead to try and download routes it needs a 4 lead cable I'd been wiggling it and messed it up.He gave me a time to go to his house and did it while I waited no repair no fee .He had several screens he'd replaced he advised to keep the sun off them if you can and suggested they weren't very waterproof..
Great guy great service sat and watched him fix it.

….And the ‘he’ in this tale of joy and excellent service is who and where? I am guessing Peterborough or maybe Belgium, but you never know.

….And the ‘he’ in this tale of joy and excellent service is who and where? I am guessing Peterborough or maybe Belgium, but you never know.

10 Clifton Avenue Peterborough
0208 7404 089
United Kingdom 10 Clifton Avenue PE3 6AY Peterborough United Kingdom

There ya go ba

Any one used this company. GPS station in Germany.

I am about to send my MLAR version for their prep (no issues with it yet).

Back
Top Bottom