Tomtom Rider 400 screen condensation

sven

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I bought a TT Rider 400 for a bargain £204 a couple of months ago, but it suffered from screen condensation, so was exchanged for a new one. This is suffering exactly the same problem

I assume it's a bad batch and the next be will be OK Maybe it's time to ask for a Garmin 390LM instead, which is a pity as the TT software is really good

0b8eba3bad464d2df2fd28329dfbfbf1.jpg

3b5f8e9a6f22c8f4c81bc06fedafb97a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's strange Iv had my 400 for about 6 months and probably used the unit for about 4000 miles issue free

I suspect they both came from the same batch in the Halfords warehouse - there are complaints of the same issue on the Tomtom support forum :mad:

Stick it in a sealed plastic bag with some dried rice for a day or two , might cure it...........

The third one is just even worse :mad: It's now going back and I'm getting a Garmin 390LM instead

16bdc9d937b34a8f984be35ae5c5dc7b.jpg

Garmin 390LM collected and the software is like going back in time 10 years :blast

Guess I'll have to persevere for a while and buy a Rider 410 next year if/when the screen issues are resolved :(

Sorry to hear that Sven, you must be really frustrated.

I had one of the first TT 400 and initially it was a disappointment as it had been released without full functionality and it was a poor replacement of the earlier versions. But is has been steadily improved and is now a fantastic unit. I have suffered none of the issues you cite, despite using it in some awful weather (another great summer eh?). Latterly a 3,000 mile trip across Europe to Portugal and back and it was steaming down all the way from St Malo to south of Bordeaux.

Hopefully if you do get the new 410 it will be as reliable for you as mine has been for me :thumb2

Sorry to hear that Sven, you must be really frustrated.

I had one of the first TT 400 and initially it was a disappointment as it had been released without full functionality and it was a poor replacement of the earlier versions. But is has been steadily improved and is now a fantastic unit. I have suffered none of the issues you cite, despite using it in some awful weather (another great summer eh?). Latterly a 3,000 mile trip across Europe to Portugal and back and it was steaming down all the way from St Malo to south of Bordeaux.

Hopefully if you do get the new 410 it will be as reliable for you as mine has been for me :thumb2

+1 , had mine for a couple of years now and so far, it has been fine ......

After a couple of years with the Garmin 390LM I decided to buy a TomTom Rider 550 at a bargain price from FC Moto and all was well for six months and 5000 miles, including a tour down to the Pyrenees.

Sadly this one too has started to suffer from screen condensation in bright sunlight. So much for the "improved" screen :mad: It's going back to TomTom for repair/replacement, but I'm not optimistic it'll cure the issue as there are other complaints about this issue on the TomTom website forum.

Well, you can’t fault TomTom’s repair service. I posted it on Monday and it arrived back yesterday morning. They haven’t bothered repairing it and just replaced it with a new one :beerjug:

I’m keen to know if anyone has used TomTom’s repair service more recently. I have an old Rider 400 with a new condensation problem.

Or should I replace it with a newer TomTom model? How do the 500 and 550 compare with the old 400? Would I notice any difference in practice?

Not used more recently but I had a 300 about four years ago, condensation appeared after a short while, as in the OP’s pics. Sent it back to TomToms repair centre, somewhere in Eastern Europe as I remember. It came back a couple of weeks later with a letter saying it had been repaired and thoroughly checked/tested before dispatch. A week later it was back, sometimes worse than others, different patterns on the screen, but always there. Can’t recall the details now but basically TomTom didn’t want to know. That’s when I moved over to Garmin.

Thanks for the info :thumb:

The condensation is slowing disappearing. Do you think I should leave the TomTom alone and hope it continues to work?

I don’t think it ever goes, if it dries out, it comes back after a short time. I tried to convince myself it would dry out but if the seals are compromised then it never will.

If it transpires I need a new SatNav, does anyone know if the Rider 500 works on the same motorcycle fitting as the 400?

Back
Top Bottom