Possible fuel pump failing?

Serious3

Reaction score
Think my pumps on the way out, if you rev her above 5k shes stuttering and cutting out, feels like it's hunting slightly on a steady throttle and when you roll off the throttle into corners it's like your slamming the throttle shut... My first suspicion would be fuel pump

Think my pumps on the way out, if you rev her above 5k shes stuttering and cutting out, feels like it's hunting slightly on a steady throttle and when you roll off the throttle into corners it's like your slamming the throttle shut... My first suspicion would be fuel pump

Sounds more like stick coils breaking down. On the 1200 the bike will start on one working coil so you can isolate the broken one. I think you should be able to disconnect one coil and run the bike, swop them over and try again.

You might find the attached useful. It's an old post off Adventure Rider from a man who appears to know what he's talking about. I had the same problem and it came down to either the fuel pump or controller. I suspect the fuel pump as temperature was definitely an issue in the early stages. Swopping both sorted it after I'd discounted the vacuum issue and changed the stick coils without any success. Age of the bike and mileage might provide some indication.

Attachments

• F800 issue.jpg
    F800 issue.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 330
It's a 2008 and she's done 61700 miles, the pump is noisy though, I was servicing her this evening and while running her up to temp I had the seat off and could hear the pump over the engine noise

It's a 2008 and she's done 61700 miles, the pump is noisy though, I was servicing her this evening and while running her up to temp I had the seat off and could hear the pump over the engine noise

Truth is its a process of elimination. It would appear the BMW diagnostics are of little help in these situations. If you think it's the pump it's as good a place as any to start I guess. I sourced one second hand from James Sherlocks. Might be worth trying them and Motorworks for a bike of that age?

Similar symptoms on mine the pump gave out all together in the Pyrenees the french dealer in Bayonne showed me the pump and it was full of crud I hadn't filled up in any dodgy garages with dirty fuel they put it down to water ingress into the fuel but where from was explained but got lost in the translation so I don't know. It was an expensive bit to replace but the bike has run faultlessly since. The bike had been serviced just before i left and the dealer had no faults showing on the diagnostics.

If it is the pump £20-25 on eBay so not like you need to spend hundreds to find out it's something else :thumb2

Sorry about the late reply lads, I was bimbling around Romania on a rented 1200gs....�� I haven't had anything on a recall as I'm the 3rd owner and no service history, I'll change out the pump and see what happens

OP has a 650/800, no pump recall for these unlike some jammy 1200 owners!:thumb

Ok then...... Had an hour free this afternoon and pulled the pump out of the tank, (note to self, make sure tank is empty next time)
Pump looked OK etc so thought I'd pull the inline filter...... Out the inlet dribbled black liquid.....great...... After a heap of back flushing and shaking I got most of the crud out of it, new one ordered now !

Ok then...... Had an hour free this afternoon and pulled the pump out of the tank, (note to self, make sure tank is empty next time)
Pump looked OK etc so thought I'd pull the inline filter...... Out the inlet dribbled black liquid.....great...... After a heap of back flushing and shaking I got most of the crud out of it, new one ordered now !

Sorry. Forgot to mention you need to make sure the tanks no more than a third full:blast

Man, that guy is a legend.
Am having the same issues with my 2009 BMW F800GS. 50,000km on the clock. 3rd owner.
Ill try the fuel pump.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom