Deutsche Alleenstrasse

Wapping

Reaction score
Whilst I was riding my lap of Germany I kept coming across a typical brown 'tourist' German sign, telling me I was sometimes riding along parts of the Deutsche Alleenstrasse or the 'German Avenue Route'.

deutsche-alleenstrasse.jpg

Sometimes it would be 100's of miles between the signs, which - I guessed - meant it (whatever it was) covered a large area. I wasn't wrong!

Now I'm back I've Googled it up.

http://www.alleenstrasse.com/routen.php

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Avenue_Road

Here's the ADAC site, which has a shortcut to a pretty good PDF download of the whole route:

https://www.adac.de/reise_freizeit/attraktionen/touren_traumstrassen/deutsche_alleenstrasse/

It might be fun to ride it all, one day.

PS Whilst it would be easy enough to rip the very rough route into BaseCamp or Mapsource; I'm now on the hunt for a GPS version, which is proving a bit tricky as I am on an iPad.

Thanks, it's probably as long (distance wise) as the lap of Germany I did. That's for sure.

Today I was browsing the web looking for inspiration, and came across a route that reminded me of your lap of Germany route Richard, I guess you may have seen it, if not search for pan germania route, it's around 900 km lie distance and looks very good.

Hi Lee, the Pan Germania route is broadly similar. Our lap was a bit different in that it took in what I'd call the four corners of the square that is Germany: Lubeck, Stralsund, Passau and Garmische, whilst the Pan Germania route cuts further into the middle, closer to the Alleenstrasse.

All three are good routes, for sure.

I've made an encouraging start on it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h37kdpo174aofcn/Deutsche Alleenstrasse - Work in progress.GPX?dl=0

The green route is the full Alleenstrasse. I haven't checked it all through but i think it's near enough right. The blue and magenta lines are what I take to be excursions off the Alleenstrasse but I haven't yet quite worked them out.

Nor have I worked out what the 'Alleenstrasse-Pflanzstrecke' is; I guess it's some sort of scenic alternative roads heading off in different directions? For instance I see there's a long stretch I haven't done yet down to Koblenz and onwards south, with another running across from Dresden.

All now done. Ignore this link - which won't now work - and go to post 22

Last edited:
its looking good Richard, i have not worked it out but i would imagine if all parts were done, it would be about 2200 miles in total by the time the west side is joined.

I'd guess you'd be about right on the total distance, Lee.

Looking up 'Pflanzstraße' in Google translate, gives 'Planters street'. Looking at these roads closer, I now think that these are literally link or seed roads into (or sometimes part of) the main 'Alleenstrasse', or 'Avenue road'.

If anyone is thinking of riding the route, I'd definitely recommend printing out the PDF's, not least as the maps are pretty good, rather like the ADAC touring maps. In the maps, the main 'Alleenstrasse' is the darker green line, whilst the 'Alleenstrasse-Pflanzstraße' is a lighter or muddier green line. I'd also think about maybe running parts of the German words through something like Google Translate, just to get a feeling for what they say, not least as I think lots of it are basic descriptions of the towns you pass through.

I'll also create the final version to include the 'Lap of Germany' route I rode last month. I lifted the route from the excellent Louis.de site

https://www.louis.de/en/fuer-die-motorradreise/tourentipps/europa/etappe/deutschland

mixed in with bits of

https://www.louis.de/en/fuer-die-motorradreise/tourentipps/deutschland/etappe/deutschlands-norden.

Using the whole lot together might help bods to mix-n-match roads and routes, particularly if they only had time to ride parts of the pretty long total journeys.

PS For all the doubters, I created the routes in BaseCamp with all the routing preferences turned off.

I think with reference to the name of the the route, i read somewhere it being called the tree lined route or green route,or shady, but i cant remember where i read it.

You are spot on, it is indeed the 'Tree lined' route.

I am now slowly getting the hang of the concept. It is created in 10 connecting 'sections' ('abschnitt', in German) with for instance abschnitt 1 starting on Rugland island, going south past Strallsund on the mainland to end in Rheinsburg, a couple of hundred kilometres away. Then through the next nine 'sections' to end right at the southern end of Germany at Lake Constanz. If you go to the ADAC link at the start of this thread, you can click on the embedded map and each section will light up, along with short cuts to the main Alleenstrasse website's PDF. Play around, nobody can break it. Not least, the PDF's download well into iBooks.

The 'Pflanzstraße' are indeed link roads / possible shortcuts or patches to complete the route.

Now that I can see how the 'sections' work, I am just wondering if they are designed to be distinct journeys in their own right, one for each day, meaning 10 days top to bottom, maybe? That might make some sense? I might in any event break the single green route up into its 10 distinct 'sections' to match in exactly with the 10 PDF's.

I would imagine that the two west routes and the route that go eastwards from wittenburg to plauen and then from plauen back to the main route are routes in their own right, but with the route in total being so long, there would be many ways in wich it could be done once the whole route was in front of you.

As i said the route from Wittenburg to Plaun was complete guess work i could not fathom the exact route it took, it looked to zig zag in and out of the Czech, i could be wrong as i was struggling to find a decent scale of view of it.

As i said the route from Wittenburg to Plaun was complete guess work i could not fathom the exact route it took, it looked to zig zag in and out of the Czech, i could be wrong as i was struggling to find a decent scale of view of it.

I haven't had a go at creating that route yet. It wouldn't surprise me if it did dip into and out of the Czech Republic, as that is what the Louis 'Lap of Germany' route did, too.

I hope to finish the whole lot off this evening and tidy it up.

Just to clarify what Pflanzstrecke means. Deutsche Alleenstrasse is a route of roads loosley linked that have trees planted either side.And I mean in a regular pattern over some distance. German word for Allee. Now the webside also talks of Pflanzstrecke. The webside is dedicated to preserving and enlarging this kind of roads. Pflanzstrecke means planting roads where they are planting new tree and start new "Alleen".
So basically enlarging the Alleen network…hope that helps chappers…Cheers

Thank you for the proper explanation of 'Planters', albatross.

That makes perfect sense and now explains why there are sometimes (quite short) sections of 'Planters' roads within the Alleenstrasse route itself. They are literally being planted with trees to fill in gaps and to make the whole lot larger. Excellent!

The French have been (or at least had been) chopping down lots of their tree lined avenue roads. Hopefully this has stopped and they'll take encouragement from their German neighbours.

Just to clarify what Pflanzstrecke means. Deutsche Alleenstrasse is a route of roads loosley linked that have trees planted either side.And I mean in a regular pattern over some distance. German word for Allee. Now the webside also talks of Pflanzstrecke. The webside is dedicated to preserving and enlarging this kind of roads. Pflanzstrecke means planting roads where they are planting new tree and start new "Alleen".
So basically enlarging the Alleen network…hope that helps chappers…Cheers

thanks for the info.

You guys might be interested in a free app called Duolingo which will hilfen sie eine bischen Deutze sprechen. :)

Thanks for that the big gal and i could do with something like this to brush up on our poor language skills

Back
Top Bottom