How to install music onto a Navigator V and probably other similar Garmin devices

Wapping

Reaction score
The following is a useful and apparently accurate guide how to load music onto a Navigator V. As it was created by a self-confessed computer Luddite, anyone should be able to do the same.

Richard

I have written up what I did to put my I-Tunes onto my Nav V did but didn't do any pictures as I am not very good with things like that. I have tried to be as detailed as I can, and in a sequence I can follow but being a computer Luddite, I hope it makes sense. Feel free to amend if needs be, I hope it can help other people to load music to their Nav V.

My Nav V had the updates to 3.40 which showed up when I plugged it in and opened Garmin.

1st off;

DO NOT BUY A MEMORY CARD OFF EBAY!

All my initial problems stemmed from what was purported to be genuine Sandisk/Kingston 64gb Micro SD cards. I bought a Sandisk 64gb micro sd and adaptor from Tesco for £17.99.

1. Load the micro sd card into the adaptor then into the appropriate card reader on your computer and format the card to FAT 32 using the download off the site mentioned in the following video:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YcOkHajz3ug" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Being a self-confessed computer Luddite these instructions were easy to follow and did what you need to do to get the card recognised by the NAV V.

2. Remove sd card from adaptor and put it into the sat nav then replace the battery and back plate. If you download the music straight to the card whilst it is in the computer non MP3 files will not be converted and consequently the Nav V will not recognise them.

3. Plug sat nav into computer and click on its icon that comes up in the Windows Explorer tab (or the My Computer tab).

4. Some people say load a single track to the internal memory to kick start the Nav V into recognising the music files. I did this as a matter of precaution by clicking on “internal memory” and dragging a single track into it.

5. Click on the SD card memory bar (not the internal memory) this showed a blank page.

6. Right click on the blank page and create a new folder, I called mine “Music”. Click on this file to open it and you will get a blank page.

7. Open up your I-Tunes music in conjunction with the Nav V sd card memory page.

8. Starting with artists beginning with the letter “A” drag it onto the blank page of the memory card “music” file. If the music is MP3 it will begin to copy over (this format is recognised by the sat nav). If it is in M4a (as a lot of mine were) a pop up box came up asking if I wanted to convert it. I ticked the box at the bottom left “do this for all files” then clicked “yes” to convert them to MP3.

9. You may want to try just doing one song/album and check that it has worked by linking it to your headset to see if it has worked (this is what I did with using my Nexx Sena headset).

10. When the music has copied over (which can take a while if you have a lot) repeat section 8 for artists beginning with “B”.

11. I repeated the above, alphabetically, a block at a time until I had all 18gb of music loaded onto the card which took some time.

As I said at the beginning, this I not a definitive guide others may have an easier option but, touch wood, it worked for me.

How to format a USB or similar drive (including SD cards) on a Mac:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3c81zhKAWpk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back
Top Bottom