Arthur's Pass

MikeO

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
22nd February 2017

I wake to find I am 60 years old.

How the fuck did that happen?

It's a dull looking day and I decide that the waterproof gear is the way to go. Today's plan is to cross the island to the West Coast via Arthur's Pass...

IMG_2932-X3.jpg

It's raining softly as I set off just after 0900. Although it's not a problem, I'll be crossing a couple of ranges of hills and I hope the weather isn't going to spoil the view...
biggrin.gif

I join the Inland Scenic Route (Highway 77)...

IMG_2935-X3.jpg

There are occasional views of clearer weather, but the sky to my left - which is the way this road will eventually take me - is pretty grim...

IMG_2937-X3.jpg

I'm routed down the Rakala Gorge, which has some beautiful views - the river divides into a delta amongst all the deposited gravel...

IMG_2938-X3.jpg

...and the rain abates for a while as I climb the other side towards the superbly named town of Windwhistle...

IMG_2940-X3.jpg

The temperature is in the mid 60s F, making my waterproofs feel uncomfortably clammy - but at least I'm not at work...
tongue.gif

IMG_2942-X3.jpg

Blue sky! I accelerate towards it...

IMG_2943-X3.jpg

...it's pretty much dry now - but I put off any thought of stopping to change gear until after I've gone over the mountains...

IMG_2945-X3.jpg

This will turn out to be a wise decision...

IMG_2950-X3.jpg

Just south east of Waddington, I'm steered onto the West Coast Road (Highway 73), and overtake these two chaps on cruisers...

IMG_2951-X3.jpg

A little further along, near Springfield, I pass a couple of riders putting waterproofs on in a lay-by - it's not hard to see why...

IMG_2954-X3.jpg

It starts raining softly as I climb into Korowai Tussocklands - is that a great name or what?...

IMG_2961-X3.jpg

I'm always slightly distrustful of road surfaces - particularly those on a gradient - that are experiencing rain for the first time in a while, so I keep my speed down...

IMG_2962-X3.jpg

Water spots on the lens too - dammit...

IMG_2966-X3.jpg

I get to the top of the pass and stop at an overlook...

IMG_0675-X3.jpg

...taking the time to clean the lens and take a couple of pictures. Although I don't yet know it - this has been the worst weather of the day...

IMG_2966-X3.jpg

I make way down the far side of the pass - the weather ahead is clearing up nicely (as I would expect, being protected from the moist east air by the first range of hills)...

IMG_2969-X3.jpg

All the bikes have passed me while I was stopped faffing about with cleaning the camera...

IMG_2972-X3.jpg

Best catch them up, then...
sly.gif

IMG_2974-X3.jpg

Near Castle Hill, there are the first of many sets of roadworks and temporary traffic lights - the flag lady walks up the line of waiting cars handing out lollipops...
yelrotflmao.gif

IMG_2976-X3.jpg

Where else in the world would you find this?
thumb2.gif

IMG_2982-X3.jpg

The landscape reminds me of Alaska...

IMG_2992-X3.jpg

...huge wide gravel-filled valleys and steep sided mountains...

IMG_2985-X3.jpg

I catch up with the trailing pair of motorcyclists and, since they are doing about 103kph, use them as speed buddies for a while...

IMG_2986-X3.jpg

Visibility is really improving now...

IMG_2994-X3.jpg

This is a beautifully scenic stretch of road...

IMG_2996-X3.jpg

...and the dark weather gives it a threatening feel that adds something to the view (if you've ever been down Glencoe in marginal weather you'll know what I mean)...

IMG_3000-X3.jpg

The two anonymous riders and I eventually part company at Arthur's Pass village...

IMG_3004-X3.jpg

...where the draw of something hot to eat proves too much for me.

Since I haven't had breakfast, I decide to have a spot of lunch at the Wobbly Kea Café...

IMG_3007-X3.jpg

And what better for a birthday brunch than...

IMG_3005-X3.jpg

...Nachos?
DukeGirl.gif

I also meet the charming Margo, from Chicago - wouldn't it be poetic if she worked for Wells Fargo?

She doesn't.

IMG_3006-X3.jpg

She thinks my Nachos look great, then sensibly goes to buy some fruit...

Onward!

IMG_3016-X3.jpg

I was tempted to change into dry weather gear at the café, but decided it would be tempting fate to do so...

IMG_3018-X3.jpg

There has been some pretty impressive civil engineering on this side of the pass...

IMG_3024-X3.jpg

The road is now completely dry and I make pretty good progress towards Greymouth, my target for today...

IMG_3028-X3.jpg

It's a very pleasant ride...

IMG_3032-X3.jpg

...with some good bridges...
biggrin.gif

IMG_3034-X3.jpg

Several heavy vehicles pass the other way, lumbering their way uphill - I can actually feel the heat off them as I pass...

IMG_3036-X3.jpg

I'm sure I didn't DIDYMO, officer...
confused.gif

IMG_3040-X3.jpg

Apparently DIDYMO - otherwise known by the term Rock-Snot - is a form of algae that the NZ Government is trying to control in South Island - regulations require that cleaning protocols of watercraft are carried out after use...

IMG_3042-X3.jpg

I'm on the home straight now - only twenty minutes or so before I get to the hotel...

IMG_3045-X3.jpg

I come across someone older than me...

IMG_3043-X3.jpg

Looks to be in daily use too...
thumb2.gif

IMG_3047-X3.jpg

A quick trip across the weirdest bridge - road and rail combined...

IMG_3049-X3.jpg

...and I'm entering Greymouth, where I'm booked in for two nights.

I refuel, and am reminded how important it is to proof read a notice (I didn't tell them
biggrin.gif
)

IMG_2929-X3.jpg

A day off the bike sorting out some admin tomorrow, I think.

Good day...

IMG_3021-X3.jpg

Happy Birthday Mike (Belated?). Enjoying the read and very jealous at the same time.

Good one Mike ..... happy birthday :thumb

What a way to spend it :beerjug:

Happy Birthday Mike.
Nothing wrong with being 60, I'm there now:)
Enjoying the trip report.

Great ride report, just the thing for a dreary day in Lancashire. Oh and bye the way happy birthday Mike.

Excellent as usual, Mike....and a very happy birthday - enjoy! :beerjug:

Happy Birthday.

(I'll be there soon).

At least you are doing something memorable for it.

Although, judging by the nacho breakfast/lunch, 61 may not be achieved:D

Happy Birthday, and thanks for sharing some great images :thumby:

Happy birthday big boy! :clap
Great pics as usual! :thumb2

Happy Birthday to you Mike. Don't worry about hitting 60 - you're doing much more than blokes half your age :thumb

Enjoying reading your travel posts so keep 'em coming. :D

Happy Birthday to you Mike. Don't worry about hitting 60 - you're doing much more than blokes half your age :thumb

Enjoying reading your travel posts so keep 'em coming. :D

Ha ha ... yes indeed :thumb

Nudging sixty I had a six month overland trip through Siberia and Mongolia (with a girlfriend)

Turned sixty and an overland trip through Turkey, Iran and Pakistan and the Karakorum Highway (with same girlfriend)

Sixty is the new forty :D

:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom