Garmin Zūmo® 390LM missing France/Spain maps after update-Help needed urgently

albatross

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am planning a France Germany trip prior to Easter and have updated my Zumo 390 LM.
When trying to change country and trying to find France I find as only option under F is Finnland and under S is Slovakia,Suomi.It states its updated to CN Europe NTU, 2018.10 ALL North…
I have mailed Garmin , still awaiting their reply.
Just wondered if anybody had similar probs and might have a solution.?? Seems this ALL NORTH is the problem, but how can one change an update??
As far as I am concerned this unit is lifelong update on all C-European countries!!
Any help appreciated
Thanks chaps

The (now separate) south map should come in automatically, too. It might be a space problem.

Two suggestions:

1. Put a fresh SD card in, assuming that is the device takes an SD card.

2. Simply try again.

Europe maps are now split into north and south. You only have north installed. I had this when installing maps using a mac, turns out the installer had a bug. Downloaded new installer and all was fine. You can confirm this by looking at map versions on your device and you'll see you only have north. Failing that you may need to install to an sd card.

Not the same device but France is certainly on my Nuvi 2595, which will plot a route from Beartown to a Bayeux postcode with no problems. Memory limitations mean that it stopped installing all of Europe years ago and now only takes Western Europe. CN2017.3NTU was also split into two and trying to get all of on my Zumo 350 with Mapinstall bricked it. This is why I'm waiting a week before updating the replacement Zumo. Incidentally, coincident with both 2017.3 and 2018.1 was an update to Garmin Express. I'd suggest always checking Express for updates before installing new maps. I'd also suggest installing device firmware updates on their own rather than with maps. I can't prove that there's a good reason for this, it's just an instinct from years of working with strange technology.

started deleting Garmin Express, reset the unit to factory condition,
checked the SD card which was empty
Express has latest Maps 2018 already with it
right now doing another map update and see what happens

Cheers to all

I had a very similar problem with the 2017.30 maps on my 390. Downloaded to laptop and device as normal and shown on the 390 as North & South Europe. As we left Calais we ran out of detailed maps. I stopped and checked and the two Europe maps were shown and ticked but all that would appear is a basemap.

Updating to 2018.10 appears to have solved the problem, I can find and zoom in on places I visited in France where the 2017.30 failed. I was only a day trip and I had other maps I could use but it could have been a real pain.

John

No better, still only loads Northern Europe 2018, pain in the neck,cant get it to load the whole of Central Europe which Express claims it has…what the heck
@ Grey One= mine seems to have done the opposite, as last year in France no problem but since updated to 2018.10 its refusing to install/load -who knows- the Southern part of Europe….
Argggg….

@ Steve…by installer you mean Garmin Express not your MAC?
Must admit MAC runs on OSX 10.8.5.but even so..

No better, still only loads Northern Europe 2018, pain in the neck,cant get it to load the whole of Central Europe which Express claims it has…what the heck
@ Grey One= mine seems to have done the opposite, as last year in France no problem but since updated to 2018.10 its refusing to install/load -who knows- the Southern part of Europe….
Argggg….

@ Steve…by installer you mean Garmin Express not your MAC?
Must admit MAC runs on OSX 10.8.5.but even so..

Last year in France you would not have been using the 2017.30 version that gave me the problems. My Garmin maps worked fine in France last year

With some trepidation I installed CN2018.1 to the Zumo. At the second attempt it installed and Beartown to a Bayeau postcode is navigable.

i have the same problem. missing france/spain maps after updating my garmin390lm

i have tried re-installing the maps ("europe 2018.20") using garmin express, - no joy

can anyone here help??

Update garmin express before you do anything. Then, make sure that you have a sufficiently large SD card in the unit (the size of the map files gets bigger and bigger with each update). Then do the update

This is the answer.

Not always.

I now update Express every time I download a new map version and have done for some time. But there was a problem somewhere with map updates which caused all or part of the split Europe maps to fail to load properly. I had this myself on a day trip to northern France in late March, the detailed map stopped on the outskirts of Calais. Thankfully I had OSM maps too so only a minor hitch. Re loaded the maps when I got home and that appeared to clear the problem. Many other people have reported this problem which I don't think related to the version of Express. My experience was that the problem that occured with an old version of Express was either a refusal to update or a very long download time.

John

i have just solved this by switching to a windows 7 PC (i was using a mac) and downloading the latest version of garmin express, then re-installing the maps

so maybe the bug was with an older version of garmin express? (that my mac was running)

either way, it was highly annoying to roll off the ferry at Santander only to discover my (recently updated) garmin 390lm had removed the france and spain maps, without telling me.

either way, it was highly annoying to roll off the ferry at Santander only to discover my (recently updated) garmin 390lm had removed the france and spain maps, without telling me.

As has been said many times before on here, try to avoid doing a device or map update immediately before an extended trip where you will be relying on the device for navigation

As has been said many times before on here, try to avoid doing a device or map update immediately before an extended trip where you will be relying on the device for navigation

Very true, just wish I had the forethought or knowledge two weeks ago. I managed with paper maps and my iPhone.

I can see your logic. However, it still won't stop you updating 3 months before a trip, only to find France and Spain missing when you roll off the ferry!

Plot a trip on Basecamp. Download it to the device. Unplug it from the PC. Preview it on the device.
Surely it won't preview if the right maps aren't installed.

I was going to update my 390 before I set off on my recent holiday but bottled it and stuck with the original maps. Ok, they’re badly out of date once you’re into Eastern Europe where they’re busy spending their grants upgrading their roads but as long as it’s used in conjunction with a map and you scribble a few notes on a post it and shove that in the top of your tank bag (if you use such a thing) nothing too bad happens ;)

What I really want is a satnav that can cope with regular updates without dumping parts or needing an extra card to be carried that has good street level mapping of cities outside of Western Europe. My was worse than useless in Warsaw and I ended up using my phone and what little common sense I possess which is ok if you're on your own and don’t mind occasionally riding along recently pedestrianised areas or quickly darting the wrong way up one way streets.

Back
Top Bottom