Mapsource cannot find Nav 6 device - Q from Spider

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wapping

Reaction score
Cut from another thread, where this post had as much to do with the subject matter as I do with Scottish dancing and crochet.

Richard

.....I'm trying to download some routes from Mapsource to my Nav VI....Mapsource keeps telling me that no device can be found when I try to transfer routes.

For whatever reasons, your computer or Mapsource cannot see your spanking new GPS device.

There are several threads on the subject, along with assorted solutions. Some might even work reliably, some might well be witchcraft and some are probably made up. Draw your own conclusions.

Here's one suggestion to get you started. Have you installed Garmin Express? If so, can it see the device, independently of Mapsource? If you haven't installed Garmin Express, do it, try again and report back.

Yep, have Garmin Express, yep it can see the Nav VI.
No Mapsource still can't see it.

As my question was in a thread about Mapsource, it had everything to do with the subject matter.
Enjoy your dancing and crocheting.

or you know use the software that's not 5 years out of date and try basecamp? Garmin might even support you on that.

Very useful advice there Scorp888, my issue isn't with Basecamp, although that tells me no device is connected as well...Seems Garmin have come on in leaps and bounds in the last 5 years. Thanks anyway.

Cut from another thread, where this post had as much to do with the subject matter as I do with Scottish dancing and crochet.

Richard

Let me know if you want the pattern
a4cdfd87bff25c135cfba9f4cae22bc2.jpg

Big thanks to iand46, changed the settings to Mass Storage through the hidden menu and everything worked perfectly.

I'm fairly new on this site and having met and spoken to a couple of members recently, this short thread has confirmed what they told me. " There are some really helpful people on the site, but there are others.......

Big thanks to iand46, changed the settings to Mass Storage through the hidden menu and everything worked perfectly.

I'm fairly new on this site and having met and spoken to a couple of members recently, this short thread has confirmed what they told me. " There are some really helpful people on the site, but there are others.......

Lot's of witty banter on here but you'll find them very helpful

As my question was in a thread about Mapsource, it had everything to do with the subject matter.

You decided to plonk your question about your computer's inability to see your spanking new device into a thread about something else.

To be precise, your post was in this thread:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...outes-shared-from-older-units?highlight=David

A thread that is all about the random recalculation of routes created for older units and then uploaded into a Navigator 6. In short, about as close to your computer's inability to see a peripheral attachment as baking is to geography.

I created you a fresh thread all of your own so that you'd be more likely to get an answer, rather than have your plaintive appeal lost. I even went as far as to include your site name in the title in the (not unsuccessful) hope that your spidey senses would pick it up, you'd see it and get an answer. But hey, don't get too vexed.

Oh I don't know...

Fucking hell...How can you be so fucking boring with just one keyboard?

Fuck Off isn't an order.

Yep Wapping, you were one of the people I was warned about, 40.605 posts...do you ever ride ya bike ?
David had specifically mentioned Mapsource, but hey as I said I'm fairly new here and didn't realise you were the self appointed WAOFE. (World Authority on Fucking Everything ) I obviously should have requested and cleared it through you first.
My sincere apology for my treasonous act.

You've very quickly received the answer to your question the freahly created dedicated thread posed, which is the value of this forum and of the GPS section in particular. Your £12 of site subscription is already well spent, despite any reservations you might have held.

Apology accepted.

Yep Wapping, you were one of the people I was warned about, 40.605 posts...do you ever ride ya bike ?
David had specifically mentioned Mapsource, but hey as I said I'm fairly new here and didn't realise you were the self appointed WAOFE. (World Authority on Fucking Everything ) I obviously should have requested and cleared it through you first.
My sincere apology for my treasonous act.

Someone having a bad week(end)? Just gracefully accept that you got the requested help and that Wapping helped that process along. Or just call Garmin's help Line in future

So in future, if someone mentions "hidden menu's" specifically relating to Mapsource, instead of using that thread, I should start another separate thread asking about the hidden menu mentioned in a thread already.

Yep that makes sense, don't know why I didn't think of that.

Having ridden with Wapping (unfortunately only on one Wander) I can confirm that he does indeed ride his bike and rather well actually:rob
I can also bear witness to the considerable amount of time and effort he has put in to compiling (and widely sharing) routes and likewise to the multitudinous problems associated with mapping programs and satnavs etc.:clap
So there you are.

Having ridden with Wapping (unfortunately only on one Wander) I can confirm that he does indeed ride his bike and rather well actually:rob
I can also bear witness to the considerable amount of time and effort he has put in to compiling (and widely sharing) routes and likewise to the multitudinous problems associated with mapping programs and satnavs etc.:clap
So there you are.

Yeah but but but

He is still a twat :D:D

So

Garmin Express can see the device
Base camp can see the device

Mapsource cannot see the device

MMMM I wonder what the problem is ???

I think you know as well as I do that the "problem" is just that all later Garmin devices need to be set to mass storage mode to work with Mapsource. They a could have been shipped out by Garmin with mass storage as the default but they chose not too. Changing it is easy once you know how. In that mode they still work with Basecamp too. Press top right of volume screen until the hidden menus appear and scroll down until you find mass storage mode. It's down to each person to decide on using Basecamp or Mapsource. Whilst Basecamp is still being developed and Mapsource hasn't been changed for years you could argue that Basecamp still needs work to make it more user friendly. I find it clunky compared to Mapsource especially on the small notepad size computer I travel with. Others disagree but its all down to personal preferences.

John

Dear Redrick,

The problem was the hidden function menu, once accessed and the system changed to Mass media Storage, then Mapsource can see it.

I posed this question after someone had mentioned accessing the Hidden Menu, I asked how to do that and then Old Princess Sarky bollocks chips in with her 2p's worth saying that my question was not relevant.

So Mapsource wasn't really the problem was it ?

Princess sarky bollocks !! Brilliant

Map source is obsolete though and as I have said before on many occasions

Garmin have a good product with their Nav units, they also have a decent enough product with the dedicated mapping software for those Nav units and if you think about it using obsolete or third party mapping software is always going to have its "risks".

John and I have debated this previously and i suppose its like leaded and unleaded petrol engines the old ones can still run with additives etc but the times have changed and its time to move with them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom