R80 G/S Paris Dakar 1987 - opinions required

I have a R80G/S 12/1980 which was given to me from a mate who's dad left it to him when he passed away.Basically the bike was sitting in his shed for 10 years unridden and neglected, with an estimated 300,000 +km. ( the piston ring gap was 1.5 mm, used a bit of oil and low compression)
So I made the decision to road restore the bike to A1 mechanical condition to use as a daily rider, sold a Tiger 800 GSA to pay for the parts for the G/S, 1000cc seibenrock kit, new seat, new YSS shock, Race Tech fork valve emulators, high amp alternator kit, new clutch, throttle cables, rebuilt the Bing carburettors. ( labour free being a ex-mechanic).
So what is it like riding a basic analogue motorcycle after owning a Tiger 800 XCA.....apart from the brakes and poor but reasonable suspension, I really like it, goes OK with 1000 cc, I do like the simplicity of an airhead, 1.5 hours to change a clutch using the tools I carry on the bike, the Tiger took 1.5 hours to remove the tank just to get to the air filter.
It is not about the speed or power an adventure bike puts out, as who rides the trails or the road at 100% throttle. My WR250R has 28 HP which is plenty on a trail.

Yes, the 1000 does have more grunt than the 800 but the smaller engine is so smooth and flexible and in some opinions, better than the 1000.

I have had a couple of 100s and an 80. It may have just been this bike, but I preferred the 80 engine to the 100. It was a very sweet bike.

Back
Top Bottom