KTM 2016 690 Duke Fuel Tank Leak - Has anyone else had a problem

Stevie4scoops

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Shortly after I bought my used 2016 690 Duke around four months ago, I noticed a fuel leak which was diagnosed as a mis shaped tank where it joins the filler neck. The tank was replaced and all was well until the last couple of weeks.

The same problem has re-occurred but the dealer told me that this problem isn't common.

It seems a bit strange that this problem should happen to me twice but isn't common with this bike.

Has anyone else had this issue? Apart from this problem I love the bike.

Thanks

Iv'e had my 690 Duke just over twelve months now but not had a problem with the tank, just the clutch slave cylinder going Kaput. Not really impressed with that at 4500 miles but I still love it to bits.

Both

Iv'e had my 690 Duke just over twelve months now but not had a problem with the tank, just the clutch slave cylinder going Kaput. Not really impressed with that at 4500 miles but I still love it to bits.

Just noticed this conversation. My 2016 690 Duke was recalled to have the fuel filler gasket replaced. Later the whole tank was replaced following a bad fuel leak detected by the mechanic during service. The clutch slave cylinder was replaced by me with an Oberon. The original was not properly assembled. Full account of that issue is elsewhere on this forum. It is a great bike dynamically, it is light, economical, comfortable, and looks good so I have stuck with it. Pity it is no longer sold because it is not replaced by the expensive Husky styling exercises.

Fuel filler cap

Just noticed this conversation. My 2016 690 Duke was recalled to have the fuel filler gasket replaced. Later the whole tank was replaced following a bad fuel leak detected by the mechanic during service. The clutch slave cylinder was replaced by me with an Oberon. The original was not properly assembled. Full account of that issue is elsewhere on this forum. It is a great bike dynamically, it is light, economical, comfortable, and looks good so I have stuck with it. Pity it is no longer sold because it is not replaced by the expensive Husky styling exercises.

Latest experience with the fuel tank. The filler cap had become very difficult to close. A lot of pressure had to be applied to allow the key to be turned to secure the latch. Have taken the cap apart and 1. cleaned up the sprung fuel cap rubber seal which was very sticky with rubber and petrol residue. 2. used a riffler to stop the edge of the seal and its coil spring being trapped when closed which would make the cap difficult to close, and 3. made a .005" bass shim to fit between the two steel plates used to retain the spring loaded seal, which works to make the latch easier to engage. The filler now works smoothly but for how long? I would not be surprised if people replaced this thing with a simple screw fit petrol cap. There are more than thirty parts in the OE one!

Back
Top Bottom