Corisca to Sardinia ,Silicy then up to pisa trip info

Toy24

Reaction score
Ciao, All

Going early May 2018 looking for tips, good roads / accom for mainland Italy, doing an anti clockwise ride. 3weeks Looking at they other posts there is not much info out there apart form the majority of comments about, litter in built up areas, poor drivers and Mafia.
I have got Corsica and Sardinia sorted, Sicily looks a bit of a lottery dependant on where you go. Mainland Italy we want to take in Pompeii and Naples so thinking of stopping somewhere safe and secure for the bike on the out skirts for a few days and do the usual tourist bits so need good transport links. Then back on the bike heading up to Florence hopefully to take in sights etc on route.
So over to the great and good folk on ukgser for hopefully informative pearls of wisdom.

Grazie

Hi Teamleader

I'm right now on the ferry just about to leave Palermo to go to Livorno after having ridden down from the UK over the last 11 days.
Although I haven't seen even a small part of it, Sicily is fantastic. I went over the Nebrodi mountains yesterday from Santo Stefano di Camastra to Catania which takes you around the base of Etna then there's a road up Etna which is an easy ride but it does get cold. Every bit worth it though. Staying off the toll roads you discover the more interesting roads. I don't think in early May the snow will be a problem any more, but it's worth checking.
For Naples, I'd suggest staying at Salerno. It's 50 minutes to Naples on the train and right next to the Amalfi coast as well as being yet another Bella città itself.
I have brought a tent with me but I've been using Airbnb all the way. You don't pay much more than camping and more often than not if you want it you can get a whole apartment to yourself. Last minute bookings are always available and you get to stay in places that are far more interesting than your standard hotel room. Plus you meet the locals who are very friendly and always have good recommendations.
All in all I'd suggest staying off toll roads and autostrada as much as possible. You'll so often see something you'll want to turn off to explore.
And don't miss the places often overlooked by the British. Gubbio and Assisi in Umbria are two that are particularly worth a mention.
Most of all have a great trip - and be ready to be bowled over by the beauty of the country at every turn!
When I finish this tour I may have more suggestions as I'm travelling with an Italian friend for a few days. So I'll post again soon!

Ci vediamo!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are asking for Sicily and then right the way up the boot of Italy, great roads, accommodation, things to see and do and, as a bonus, suggestions on public transport links. You are going in May 2018, so you have lots of time....

1. Get yourself a decent guide book. Something from Michelin, Lonely Planet or Rough Guide for example.

2. Get yourself some decent maps. Maybe something like these, perhaps:

http://www.stanfords.co.uk/Italy-Touring-Club-Italiano-200K-Regional-Road-Maps_SI00000374

3. Look at the Italian Tourist Office site and other holiday orientated sites.

4. RiDE magazine has a pre-made tour of Italy, available via their website. Some of the downloads are not working but a simple email to their office will sort you out.

5. There are lots of downloadable Italian routes available on UKGSer.

6. With a bit of imagination and a map or two, you could copy BMW's own tour of Italy.

http://www.motorrad-tours.com/tours/classic-tours/The-Grand-Tour-Italy/

Have a go.... people have been touring Italy since the Middle Ages and it was particularly popular in the 19th century. If they could do it, so can you.

vacations-travel-italy-victorian_tourism-victorian_tourists-holidays-rome-99918816_low.jpg

Here's a starter:

http://www.bestbikingroads.com/motorcycle-roads/motorbike-rides-in-italy-/italy-__1608.html

Two of my Italian motorcycle touring books. They are in 'foreign' but hey, it's what they speak and anyone can work it out from the pictures:

56481551ab7ce14477c835a1953a1147.jpg

Google search: Italia in moto

It will turn up lots of ideas to wet the appetite.

Ciao Rojamez
Thanks for the info hope you have a great trip, look forward to your report.

arrivederci

Ciao Wapping
Thanks for info, I had already looked at a few of those site you've suggested, Do you know if there is a link to translate the pages of mototurismo ?. I have a look at the motorrad like the info but not their prices .

I am guessing but... try highlighting the text of the website, copy it and then paste it into Google translate.

Just make sure you have a coffee in the square at Siena ;)

There's a small bar in one corner of il Campo where you can go upstairs through a small door to the balcony. I'll post a pic when I get home. And the tower is well worth a climb afterwards!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sicily. I like Palermo but appreciate it's not for some even tho' the security concerns are much less important nowadays.

Shift across to the east coast and take in Syracuse, another fave of mine or travel further north up the coast and take in Taormina, more popular and touristy but beautiful nonethless.

On yer way back up the boot another shout for Sienna and Il Campo. Also consider Arezzo, Cortona and San Gimigiano as you head towards Tuscany, further to the East than Flo and Co but quieter and no less interesting IMHO. Parma is worth an overnight as is Bologna as you work your way north.

After wending your way past Milan, this'll put you smack in the right direction for Como, Maggiore and Lugano lakes, well worth a stopover too.

Loads to choose:)

Enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom