Garmin is shite. Get it off your chest here.

I don‘t think I am. No As per my post I can’t use that methodology because the screen sequencing isn’t the same. That’s why I explained what I’m seeing on mine.
Funny as the screen is exactly the same on my XT as in the video, I use the post code all the time. My XT is running the latest software and maps as well.

Can you take a picture or pictures of what you see, please.

One quick thing to check, please: Are the full detailed maps installed and active?
Firstly yes all installed an active. Updated this AM after updating Garmin Express and fighting for it to recognise the Satnav. Worked eventually. Version I think was 6.50.

Firstly yes all installed an active. Updated this AM after updating Garmin Express and fighting for it to recognise the Satnav. Worked eventually. Version I think was 6.50.

Attachments

• IMG_1372.jpeg
    IMG_1372.jpeg
    106.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1373.jpeg
    IMG_1373.jpeg
    94.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1374.jpeg
    IMG_1374.jpeg
    98.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1375.jpeg
    IMG_1375.jpeg
    105.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1376.jpeg
    IMG_1376.jpeg
    113.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1377.jpeg
    IMG_1377.jpeg
    81.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1378.jpeg
    IMG_1378.jpeg
    115.7 KB · Views: 10
If everything is up to date, the full maps installed and active, but you are not seeing (or able to replicate) the simple sequence (basically the sequence from 1:08 from where he says: “But….”) shown in the video) it smells awfully like your device is not functioning as it should.

Return to sender, as Elvis said…… or some such similar action required.

Last edited:
May be worth doing a full reset if you can't see the Address Entry page.

Won't do any harm and should get rid of the bug preventing you seeing the entry page - can't see this being anything else other than software.

Planning a route on the unit isn't the easiest way to tailor a route to a destination with particular requirements.

Last edited:
I reckon a full reset and update is worth a try. Not suggesting this has anything to do with it, but I notice on the screenshots you have the language set to American as it says "Postal Code" rather than "Post Code" so it's possible that a good old fashioned reset and start again might yield a better response. I assume it is a UK/Europe unit?

Also, I'm damned if I can figure out where the setting might be on my XT, but your temperature is also showing in F rather than C. I can't see a way to change that so it's almost like your device thinks it's somewhere else or the mapping is for somewhere else.

Last edited:
I reckon a full reset and update is worth a try. Not suggesting this has anything to do with it, but I notice on the screenshots you have the language set to American as it says "Postal Code" rather than "Post Code" so it's possible that a good old fashioned reset and start again might yield a better response. I assume it is a UK/Europe unit?

Also, I'm damned if I can figure out where the setting might be on my XT, but your temperature is also showing in F rather than C. I can't see a way to change that so it's almost like your device thinks it's somewhere else or the mapping is for somewhere else.
Close! Spurred on by the recent exchanges I ran Garmin support UK in Southampton who rang me back within 10 minutes. The human on the phone listened, seached, and came up with the answer. It appears the local was set wrong probably because these had been bought as a bulk purchase by my local dealer as a cheaper alternative to the navigator. So if you go into settings and then the three bar menu at top left it has one option, restore. Hit that and apart from various other options it resets the local.

Hey presto, the missing screen appears. Other, more intuitive devices have the country option on the opening screen when you start to enter addresses but this is Garmin.

Don’t you just love humans.

It looks like you were right (y) Good spot.

Odd that the device was set up for America.

Thanks. I stand by my Garmin XT is shite assessment and don't get me started on the mapping/route planning issue although the default to Motorways and A roads thing isn't unique to Garmin to be fair.
So you haven't set the device up correctly, yet it is the XT fault, best you stick to maps as well :)

I guess it’s simply that the very helpful fellow at Garmin, was confused as to why a UK registered device, was not showing the UK screen pages. Once he had established the cause (10 minutes) the device’s own menu settings (which are not hidden) could be used to reconfigure the device to a UK local.

I assume, though I have no great desire to try, that the same unhidden method, can be used to reconfigure a device from UK to American settings.

Anyway, it was a useful thing for the forum to learn, should it happen to someone else.

There is a faster way of changing the locale, if you go to the map view on the XT, press the speed display on the bottom left, you get the screen with all the trip stats, press and hold on the speedo counter for 5 settings and you'll get an "Admin" menu which under Configuration settings allows you to change the locale to anything....

Back
Top Bottom