Garmin is shite. Get it off your chest here.

Stevie4scoops

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My Nav 5 almost spoiled the trip I'm currently on. When I got to France, it decided that it no longer had maps of France, Spain and others. If I hadn't brought my old Garmin as a backup I would have been in big trouble. Fucking piece of shit sometimes compared to Tom Tom.

Get a TomTom?

... and don't ever forget your maps. They generally only update once a year (at most) and even then look remarkably similar to the old version, the earth not changing that much between millennia. Unless of course you are living on the polar icecaps, they are shrinking at an alarming rate due to the climate getting warmer. But every bikermate knows that is complete bullshit, as their mate told them; and first hand knowledge, even from a mate, always trumps everything else.

My Nav 5 almost spoiled the trip I'm currently on. When I got to France, it decided that it no longer had maps of France, Spain and others. If I hadn't brought my old Garmin as a backup I would have been in big trouble. Fucking piece of shit sometimes compared to Tom Tom.

So the map update went wrong, and you didn't check which maps were installed, after loads of threads on here, and that makes Garmin shite. If its a device issue, get it replaced. Or buy a Tom Tom, they do weekly updates now, wonder how that will go.

It just shows you how pathetically we have become so reliant on stuff to do things for us. Big trouble! Really ? Maps and road signs have been around for centuries, there Must be been some big trouble going on for such a long time.

It just shows you how pathetically we have become so reliant on stuff to do things for us.

Precisely... just another way of emasculating the population, and making them so easily controllable.

It just shows you how pathetically we have become so reliant on stuff to do things for us.

Not unlike the way your motorcycle automatically lubricates its own engine and advances / retards it's own ignition. It wasn't that long ago really that both would have had to be done manually, by the rider!

Not unlike the way your motorcycle automatically lubricates its own engine and advances / retards it's own ignition. It wasn't that long ago really that both would have had to be done manually, by the rider!

Very good!:D

I got caught out by the same anomaly (no mapping for southern EU) - but would always give Garmin my business.

Had some brilliant service from them in the past................

Was down in Southampton earlier this year, and my sister was complaining that her 3 yr old Garmin Nuvi 360 (top of the range at the time) had pitched a fit.
I phoned up Garmin and asked if I could drop the unit off at their new headquarters at Totton, rather than posting it?

http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/sit...97E00513919E43

The girl on the phone said to bring it in, and someone would meet me and give me an initial appraisal and take it from there.

A girl came out to reception to see us, and listened to an explanation of the symptoms on the Nuvi and appeared very helpful, so..................

I handed her my broken Zumo car mount (I had foolishly tried to aleviate the stiffness in the ball-joint by putting a couple of drops of extra-virgin olive oil in the joint ) which had started to break up due to destabilisation of the plastic in the cup and asked if they could repair it?

Thinking "in for a penny.................." - I also asked her about the upgrading of a Zumo 400 (UK mapping) to full European mapping using the £36 upgrade disc. (I had been told by the retailer that it would upgrade the maps, and when it didn't - I thought I had been thrown a "wobbly ball")

Anyway - the result?

1) My sister's Nuvi (out of warranty) was to be repaired (replaced) for £75 including P&P

2) My Zumo car mount has been repaired and posted out to me FREE OF CHARGE

3) The girl printed out a step-by-step instruction sheet for upgrading the maps on my Zumo 400.

Two weeks later - My sister received a brand new Nuvi, FREE OF CHARGE, with an apology for the "delay"

I have no reason to believe that anyone dealing with those problems by phone or e-mail would have been treated differently.

I can't think of a single reason for straying from the Garmin camp.

As I used to say:

Garmin for professionals
TomTom for girlies.

Al

My old Garmin Zumo failed on a recent trip. But it's been used and abused and I've had my value from it.

Problems of an immediate nature can be solved by a combination of:

a: A general sense of direction
b: A map

The only criticism I'd have is that some of the software is over complicated, but it's no problem.

Would I buy a Garmin again? Ooops, I just did.

Garmin is good, I never carry maps but I did buy one recently in Scotland and it got soggy fairly quickly.
I wish Google did a motorcycle satnav
The Google maps on my phone will find anything even eircodes and is always up to date.
The graphics are also really good where Nav V graphics are a bit fuzzy.

Garmin is good, I never carry maps but I did buy one recently in Scotland and it got soggy fairly quickly.
I wish Google did a motorcycle satnav
The Google maps on my phone will find anything even eircodes and is always up to date.
The graphics are also really good where Nav V graphics are a bit fuzzy.

Get a waterproof cover for your phone ???

Google do offline maps now.

Yeah but no but....

There are also some limitations to keep in mind. When downloading maps for offline use, you’ll only be able to access driving directions, since transit, bicycling, and walking directions are only available online.

Which (if I understand it correctly) means that it renders the maps useless if they are intended to be used as part of a GPS navigation set up.

I didn't start this post and it bothers me that someone was able to making it look like I did.

Like many others I do have a love/hate relationship with Garmin hence why I take a backup.

I pulled it out of another thread, where your post had nothing whatsoever to do with the subject matter.

I explained why at the time: http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/459554-BaseCamp-is-shite-Get-it-off-your-chest-here See post #13

It's clearly something you felt strongly enough about so, rather than waste your efforts, you got a whole thread's worth. Join in, it's very cathartic.

PS I did the same with theoneandonley's post, to create the 'BaseCamp is shite. Get it off your chest' thread, which you so obviously enjoyed but, sadly, misunderstood its subject matter, as instead of cursing about BaseCamp you decided to bang on about a Nav V, faulty map updates, Garmin in general and by inference the joys of a TomTom. That thread has gone well, this thread is going well, too. Be happy.

I pulled it out of another thread, where your post had nothing whatsoever to do with the subject matter.

I explained why at the time: http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/459554-BaseCamp-is-shite-Get-it-off-your-chest-here See post #13

It's clearly something you felt strongly enough about so, rather than waste your efforts, you got a whole thread's worth. Join in, it's very cathartic.

PS I did the same with theoneandonley's post, to create the 'BaseCamp is shite. Get it off your chest' thread, which you so obviously enjoyed but, sadly, misunderstood its subject matter, as instead of cursing about BaseCamp you decided to bang on about a Nav V, faulty map updates, Garmin in general and by inference the joys of a TomTom. That thread has gone well, this thread is going well, too. Be happy.

I think you're coming unwrapped..................

You made up a thread, purporting to have been started by SteveC10 - and justify it with "I explained why at the time" ?? :blast

Al :rolleyes:

I do it quite a lot.

Lots of people have benefitted, having their questions answered and concerns addressed, which otherwise would have got lost. Now, do you have another burning issue (good or bad) relating to Garmin that you wish to share, bikermate, or was it all summed-up in post #10?

:beerjug:

I created this and the parallel 'BaseCamp is shite. Get it off your chest' thread as a laugh. Of course it's not meant to be serious. Bods can come in, rant, justify (or not) their beliefs and prejudices and for all I care tell us what they were eating (as is often the case) when they realised that they had no maps of Spain or that their music now refuses to work or their route (borrowed from a mate's mate's cousin, who created it in MotoTyreGoWhatsit maybe, I think) now doesn't work and it's ruining his holiday. In short, they can let off steam as much or as little as they like.

Be happy.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom