Carb advice needed

g1nga

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to the forum so please be gentle with me :)

I've just inherited a 2001 DRZ 400 with a mikuni carb, the carb wasn't fitted. Can anyone tell me where the various vents & pipes go? There are also two pipes on the air filter bellows looking thing, where do these go?

Thanks.

if you hunt around on the web you can find the service manuals to down load - they should help, mine has gone so cannot go and look at it. If you need a spare carb I have one left over and a whole load of panels if interested.

I've been googling for days :) I can't find anything in depth that shows where the vents go. I might have to find one for sale & have a look.

Thanks both, I've looked on drz400uk & through a few fiches, nothing seems to show what goes where.

I think I've figured it out now. carb cleaned & refitted, tried to fire it up, popping & banging like a goodun. carb off again double check everything all looks good. Back together again, same thing popping & backfiring. Check all the pipes & looked for vacuum leaks nothing. So had a pint or two, swore a lot & had a look through the receipts. There was a receipt for an engine rebuild before it was took off the road, I wasn't convinced about the quality after finding lots wrong, missing bolts etc.

So I checked the cam timing & it was miles out, set the timing pressed the button & it fired straight up ticking over great, but it tries to die now when I open the throttle 1/4 of the way. I know nothing about bike mechanics so it's all a learning curve, but at least I feel like I'm moving forward.

There is a slight blow from the exhaust headers where it meets the head because the gasket is missing, so I've ordered a new one & have my fingers crossed it'll sort the problem.

if you hunt around on the web you can find the service manuals to down load - they should help, mine has gone so cannot go and look at it. If you need a spare carb I have one left over and a whole load of panels if interested.

I'm ok for carb & panels thanks, I'm looking for parts of the air filter asy if you have anything lying around?

Back
Top Bottom