G310GS first impressions

RallyRaidMitch

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A short report on our G310R after using it for the weekend, before we start to strip it down to check fitment of the adventure kit we have been developing, using a G310R that we have had for a few months.
The first impression I got when seated on the bike was how much roomier it was compared to the street version. This seems to be caused by slightly wider handlebars, and not such a deep seat cavity. It is very much more sit on, rather that sit in position.
Both the front brake and clutch lever is very long, this would make fitting hand guards extremely difficult, so one of the first tasks will be to machine and develop some shorter folding levers with adjustable span.
A nice touch on the left cluster is a separate flasher for the headlight, and a really good idea is an ABS switch that can turn the ABS on or off whilst moving,it does not need the bike to be stationary to operate this.
The initial feeling of the suspension, both front and rear, was that of not enough static preload and also the springing was too light and slightly underdamped.
Both front and rear brakes were quite good and it was easily possible to make the ABS come in when breaking hard, the standard issue Metzler tires bedded in quite well and seem to suit the bike.One thing that did concern me was the use of blade type switches for both the front and rear brake, the rear brake especially leaves the switch very exposed, and we would look to probably change this to and in-line hydraulic switch. Also we noted that the side stand switch was very low and exposed and this would be one of the first things to be broken when riding off road. It looks quite possible that dummy side stand switch plug could be developed so that this switch could be bypassed and removed from the bike.
Acceleration was quite acceptable for the size of the motorcycle, and There definitely seemed more torque than the street model but I think this was down to better fuelling maps rather than increasing power, it seemed to just roll on and off the throttle much better and smoother.
Overall fuel consumption for the weekend was 70 mpg, this was a mixture of backroads and main roads and it was quite windy. When the fuel light came on for low fuel it showed 40 miles range left, and when I filled the tank to the brim it took exactly 9.1 L of fuel, which is exactly 2 imperial gallons. So I would suggest a reasonable range of 150 miles before fuel would be needed, and the seat was very comfortable for the two hours that you would be in the saddle on a general trip.
I did get a chance to ride the bike in the dark, and the headlight was that quite good with a very pronounced cut-off for the dip beam, and the backlit LCD display for the Speedo and warning lights worked well.
We have a UK magazine that will be coming to test the bike in standard trim this week, and then we will start work checking all our development parts before we fit our spiked wheels and do more off-road testing.

Thé GS version of the 310 arrived in France a couple of weeks ago and I was able to have a test ride in Lyon last Thursday. Having sold my 1200 GS in 2015 as I was finding it heavy to push around, I have waited over two years to buy a lighter version
I was immediately delighted by it -a small GS at last. There was just one in stock - in black and I should have it next week. I will keep you informed!

Thé GS version of the 310 arrived in France a couple of weeks ago and I was able to have a test ride in Lyon last Thursday. Having sold my 1200 GS in 2015 as I was finding it heavy to push around, I have waited over two years to buy a lighter version
I was immediately delighted by it -a small GS at last. There was just one in stock - in black and I should have it next week. I will keep you informed!

Tres bonne idee!

I too completed a test ride today out of Lovett’s in Bristol. I was out for about an hour and half. Probably worth mentioning that my usual bike is a Tiger 800, having traded down from an FJR and subsequently an Explorer. I managed to do a complete mix of roads, except off road, including a quick stretch on the M5 for which I would not have expected it to be at all suitable. Overall, I found the baby GS an absolute hoot. Yes, the engine needs keeping on the boil but that is part of the fun. As long as you are happy playing with the gearbox, which has a good action, its no problem keeping the 310 buzzing along. I didn’t find the vibrations too significant or a problem and what there is, I saw as part of the character of the bike. I am just under 5.10” and the seating position was fine with no problem reaching the ground with both feet with the standard seat. The stock windscreen does not provide too much protection but given the speeds one is typically doing, this is was no hardship. The engine asks to be thrashed and I found it enjoyable giving it the beans. It’s very easy to manoeuvre around windy country roads. Brakes were OK’ish, though I found it best to use back and front together. Whilst I would not see this as a bike to take on motorways, it can keep up with the traffic and the wind blast was tolerable at 65/70. No problem too winding it up to 80+. In conclusion, I found the bike immensely good fun and just kept on laughing as I tootled about. Reminded me of singles from days gone by. As a second bike, I’d love one. A taller screen, heated grips, top box/case and a one piece seat ( unlikely to be available) would be on my wish list. Not for for long distance tours but as weekend fun and daily commute machine, an ideal machine.

They don’t half get a move on when you them rev up to 10,000 revs
Agreed! I didn’t walk away from the demo ride in anyway thinking that the bike was too slow. Just have to keep it on the boil and whipping it up and down the gearbox was no problem. Clearly, it’s not about torque but that is part of its fun.

Test ride.

Had a test ride of the 310gs today and back up the comments made about it.

The seat is remarkably comfortable and the riding position spot on. 6' tall 31"seem,

The menu has a mpg consumption section it stood at 72mpg. I would guess its been like that since built. I reset it and went for my ride. Fast A roads, few motorway miles all 70-75ish. The rest was town traffic where it was superb.

On return the mpg was 72. Not bad for a engine with 45 miles on it. Without trying too hard a commuter should see 80mpg.

I have ridden the r version of this and didn't rate it for my type of use. The gs was so much better.

I had my first run on my very smart black GS (I chose that colour because it was the only one in stock.) It was only 2°C so of course I missed the heated grips and larger screen of previous GS's that I owned. However it certainly lived up to expectations and really looks and feels like a genuine 'mini GS.' I am afraid it is 0°C today so I will be patient and read the manual and try and understand the mysteries of the dash board !

I had my first run on my very smart black GS (I chose that colour because it was the only one in stock.) It was only 2°C so of course I missed the heated grips and larger screen of previous GS's that I owned. However it certainly lived up to expectations and really looks and feels like a genuine 'mini GS.' I am afraid it is 0°C today so I will be patient and read the manual and try and understand the mysteries of the dash board !

How are you getting on with it?

How are you getting on with it?
With the thermometer around zero I have not been very far! However it is a lovely little bike and, after previous GS's it feels very nimble and I am sure no slower than a 1200 around town or up the very twisty 'montée 'to my house; I have a BMW top-box which will just hold my helmet and gloves and have managed to arrange a cork base to hold my (obligatory) U-lock. As it is supposed to be in the 'Adventure' category I hope that luggage will soon appear, not to mention heated grips and a larger screen.
To be honest, after four previous big GSs, it is more 'FUN' than "ADVENTURE.' With snow forecast for the weekend don't expect much more news for the moment, although I feel it could cope very well ( but I am past all that!)

The baby GS

Good, keep us posted when it warms up :thumb2
I spent some time since I last 'posted' watching a good many videos on YouTube of Road Test reports. These were carried out by a wide variety of riders (from various countries) and are ALL very positive. Most criticisms are very minor and rarely in unison. i.e. One rider gomplains that one cannot easily stand on the pegs when 'off pioste' and it needs different handlebars etc. and another (equally experienced) felt very much at ease standing on the pegs when off road! So who is goind to take much notice of MY experiences, having ridden almost ONLY GS's or other BM's for over 50 years. I have always found it much easier (and less expensive) to adjust myself to a bike rather than start modofying the bike. On my last GS,(a 1200) the screen setting, suspesion, peg positions etc. remained at the same settings , summer and winter, for 8 years(but it was never off road) All I want now on this one is a larger screen, some panniers and perhaps heated grips IF they can be fitted.
Watch these videos and have a test ride. I think that you will agree with me (and the testers) that it is a lovely 'little' bike, well balanced, nimble and good looking. Made in India but a real BM.

I agree with the above. I took one for a wee spin yesterday whilst the GSA was having its forks fixed. I was surprised by the roominess of the bike, I (6'2" and plenty stones) fitted just fine with wide bars and pegs which were more forward and no less cramped than the 1200 GSA. The engine was a little buzzy and obviously lacked punch but get it spun up and it went well enough for brisk progress and could overtake if needed. It has a great little chassis, very comfy and well damped. It would be a great commuter and superb for country tracks etc.
The build quality seemed good and surprising for a budget bike. I liked it a lot. I hope my lad gets into biking as this would be a great starter machine. With the Rookie to Rider scheme, this is a bargain.

I took the 310GS out for a 2-hour-ish spin back in November whilst the 1200GSA was in the service dept.
At approx 6'3" and not so many stones, the initial leg-over and pull-away were giggle-inducingly toy-like... but once on the move it does feel more like a grown-up bike.
My ride took in dual carriageway, town, and country lanes and I never really found the engine or chassis to be lacking, and all pretty comfortable (the rear is compliant, without compromising reasonable progress). You do have to suspend your mechanical sympathy to get the best from the engine, but it will keep pace with traffic and permit planned overtaking.
If I were ever to be able to justify a second bike, or something for my progeny, this would be on the shortlist. It is a set of hand-guards/heated grips/bigger screen/hard luggage away from being a very useful daily rider. I suspect there is sufficient equity in the brand for such items to be added... perhaps along with taller suspension and spoked wheels to complete the "look" and create the G310GSA... if they build it, we will pay!

can anyone who’s ridden suggest what comfortable cruising speed the bike would hold?

can anyone who’s ridden suggest what comfortable cruising speed the bike would hold?

For me it would be 70mph. The bike would be capable of more I reckon. I suffer from white finger and am sensitive to vibrations, that would limit me. I owned a g650gs and 70mph was my comfortable limit set by my sensitivity to vibrations.

Have a ride on one, you just might like it. I would certainly have one, its a different riding style and none the worse for it.

Back
Top Bottom