Oh great collective knowledge....

Beak Freak

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I currently have a Zumo200 hard wired (comes on with ignition) into the bike using a Locatis lead. I now have a Zumo550 which I want to run from a mini USB lead. It would appear that in order to fit in the cradle and allow the device to be attached it would need to be L shape (landscape rather than portrait, if that makes sense) and I am struggling to find such a beast. Failing that, it comes with a "BMW" plug connection, but as my bike is a '00 model there is no suitable connection for it!

Any advice gratefully received!

The 550 is meant to be run in 'Landscape', in fact I'm pretty sure there isn't a 'Portrait' feature; or if there is I never found it in 5 years.

Hi. Sorry, I meant the usb plug would have to have the lead coming out of the right hand side of the cradle with the plug needing to be sat flush with the cradle. Looks like it would have to be a 90 degree plug

Here's a picture:

attachment.php

s-l300.jpg

Yup, it's a right angle 90 degree plug that joins the power lead to the cradle. They are easy to source. Good luck with the rest of your project.

Quote (I now have a Zumo550 which I want to run from a mini USB lead). you can not run the the 550 from a usb lead when in its cradle, you need the lead that is in Wappings photo, and that as he rightly says is a power lead only, no data .

I would be interested in your BMW canbus lead if you want to shift it on.

Sent from a U11

In fact, the lead I have on mine is the one in Wappings picture (the one that wires direct to the battery.
Would you be interested in a swap??

Sent from a U11

Ah, the fog clears :thumb The L shaped lead is indeed the bike power one, the usb lead is for data transfer but also works with the car mount if I recall.

The lead you seek is available for about £18 on eBay; or you've been offered a swap on here.

using the usb socket on the car cradle would work but i would not recommend it as you would soon bugger the socket and/or the lead due to the lack of cable restraint or locking mech, i would advise the one in the pic below it locks into the socket securely.

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 179
I currently have a Zumo200 hard wired (comes on with ignition) into the bike using a Locatis lead. I now have a Zumo550 which I want to run from a mini USB lead. It would appear that in order to fit in the cradle and allow the device to be attached it would need to be L shape (landscape rather than portrait, if that makes sense) and I am struggling to find such a beast. Failing that, it comes with a "BMW" plug connection, but as my bike is a '00 model there is no suitable connection for

Any advice gratefully received!

You're very lucky - you've got some very knowledgeable guys replying to your enquiry!:thumb2

Thanks for all the help...just one more question...

Hi Guys

Thank you for all your help so far. I was looking to use the mini USB socket which sits below the supplied power cable in Wappings picture (it has a cover on it in the picture), but it appears that the cradle cannot be powered that way...sort of begs the question why its there at all really as there is a socket in the actual unit itself for data transfer.

I will try and source the lead you all kindly suggest, but can you tell me what the round socket (its white plastic and looks to be an original fixture, sorry no pictures) is called...is it a BMW fitting or a Garmin one (don't know what Canbus plugs look like as I'm not up to speed on this new fangled technology:blast)

Quote (sort of begs the question why its there at all really as there is a socket in the actual unit itself for data transfer.). To quote the manual, Quote (Some Garmin traffic receivers and XM antennas must be plugged into a mini-USB port on the zūmo mount.).

Hope that answers the question.

With reference to fitting, all you really need is a 12v switched feed and a good earth to power your 550, you only say your bike is a 00 model, but have not said what bike it is, this may help, as some may know where exactly to take the feed and earth from, and along with the cable from Wappings picture you will be sorted,

one lead for sale here on the bay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garmin-Z...159374?hash=item3af593118e:g:krIAAOSw0ehZ8k-C

or get the one off younger06

and i believe this is the part number.Power Cable Lead 010-10861-00 part number.

Back
Top Bottom